GLORY

Why is Bionic so UNDERRATED?

it infuriates me that the GP payed this masterpiece DUST meg1

IT DELIVERED BOPS SUCH AS BIONIC, GLAM, WOOHOO AND DESNUDATE meg1 

IT HAS SLOW BOPS SUCH AS SEX FOR BREAKFAST AND BIRDS OF PREY meg1 

IT HAS CAREER DEFINING BALLADS - YOU LOST ME, I AM meg1 

WHY DID NOBODY BUY THIS ALBUM??? AND HOW COME THE 34 PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT IT HATED IT????

BIRDS OF PREY SHITS ON CAREERS meg1 NOT TO MENTION NOT MYSELF TONIGHT AND STRONGER THAN EVER meg1

VANITY IS SUCH AN 'IN YOUR FACE' BOP meg1

TBH FUCK THE GP FOR NOT BUYING IT AND CRITICS FOR PAYING IT DUST meg1

I HATE BOYS meg1 INFLATED EGOS, LITTLE DICKS meg1

BIONIC IS ONE OF THE GREATEST POP MASTERPIECES OF THIS DECADE AND Y'ALL WILL FUCKING DEAL WITH IT meg1meg1

2 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Because people believe what the media says. It was called a "Big Flop" so people think it's bad and won't give it a chance.

A lot of people think 'bigger sales = better album' which is not always true.

yes this is very true.... people need to stop thinking that good sales = good album because honestly most of the time if something sells extremely well it means it's extremely basic 

Just now, GLORY said:

yes this is very true.... people need to stop thinking that good sales = good album because honestly most of the time if something sells extremely well it means it's extremely basic 

True, Christina's best selling album is her debut, and that certainly isn't her best carla1

Sometimes really good albums can sell well, but albums need good promotion + good reviews + hit singles to sell well.

Bionic got mixed reviews from critics and didn't have a big "hit", so a lot of people assumed that it wasn't a good album. I think if the bonus tracks had been on the standard, it would've gotten better reviews.

4 minutes ago, Skyline said:

True, Christina's best selling album is her debut, and that certainly isn't her best carla1

Sometimes really good albums can sell well, but albums need good promotion + good reviews + hit singles to sell well.

Bionic got mixed reviews from critics and didn't have a big "hit", so a lot of people assumed that it wasn't a good album. I think if the bonus tracks had been on the standard, it would've gotten better reviews.

Yeah, and the other problem is there's no lead single material on the album tbh. Like none of the songs would've gone number 1, which is sad cause the majority of them are so good

16 minutes ago, GLORY said:

Yeah, and the other problem is there's no lead single material on the album tbh. Like none of the songs would've gone number 1, which is sad cause the majority of them are so good

I agree, there aren't any potential hits on the album.

"Not Myself Tonight" was more radio friendly so I think that's why it was chosen as a lead, but the problem was that it didn't sell very well and some people thought she was trying to follow what was popular on the radio at the time. The Back to Basics album was different to what was released at the time and was well-received by critics, but they thought that Bionic was her way of trying to be popular, even though that wasn't Christina's intention.

2 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I agree, there aren't any potential hits on the album.

"Not Myself Tonight" was more radio friendly so I think that's why it was chosen as a lead, but the problem was that it didn't sell very well and some people thought she was trying to follow what was popular on the radio at the time. The Back to Basics album was different to what was released at the time and was well-received by critics, but they thought that Bionic was her way of trying to be popular, even though that wasn't Christina's intention.

And I think that's another reason people didn't buy the album - they didn't get it. And quite frankly I don't blame them. she COMPLETELY changed her image and sound for Bionic (and every album really) and as a stan that's a cool thing to see your fave experiment and try new things but as a member of the GP I think people were just confused and yeah as you said - people thought she was copying the likes of Gaga when she was just trying something different.

It has my all time X faves Birds of Prey and Monday Morning, so I don't underrate it. It could've been so much better without the label's interference though. I wanted songs like Dynamite on it which I believe was her original plan for the album. #JusticeForLightAndDarkness wendy1

10 minutes ago, Hysteria said:

It has my all time X faves Birds of Prey and Monday Morning, so I don't underrate it. It could've been so much better without the label's interference though. I wanted songs like Dynamite on it which I believe was her original plan for the album. #JusticeForLightAndDarkness wendy1

Could you talk me through this original plan?? I don't know much about it as I'm a relatively new fan

28 minutes ago, GLORY said:

Could you talk me through this original plan?? I don't know much about it as I'm a relatively new fan

Sure! jj2

In 2008, while celebrating her first decade since her debut, Christina announced an electropop, "futuristic" album that was planned to be released in late 2009. The new songs on her Greatest Hits were a little sneak peek into her new sound and image, and naturally everyone's expectations were high. Initially called Light & Darkness, it included collaborations with artists such as Godfrapp, Le Tigre and Ladytron which were later ditched by RCA, but fortunately we got one of the Ladytron collabs as an iTunes deluxe track (Little Dreamer).

Her choice for a lead single was Glam (which was not necessarily a great idea, imo, but a much better one than what we ended up getting) until RCA intervened and made her release Not Myself Tonight instead, a song that flopped tremendously and didn't get positive reviews.

Here's more information about it, if you're interested:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2301279/christina-aguilera-bionic/

I'm sure this era would've been fairly successful had RCA just let her be. And now we're dealing with the consequences: Xtina went to The Voice, became a soccermom, released the HORRENDOUS Lotus, and gave us collabs like Feel This Moment trash1 and the cute but boring Say Something.

The flawless Telepathy gives me hope though! oprah2

WooHoo is Christina's best sex bop, I don't give a shit aretha1

Dirrty who Not Myself Tonight lol Your Body jj4 WooHoo slayed them all, and her cousin Desnudate would be perfect for some two songs / one music video project, if that were a thing.

1 hour ago, Vertigo-go said:

WooHoo is Christina's best sex bop, I don't give a shit aretha1

Dirrty who Not Myself Tonight lol Your Body jj4 WooHoo slayed them all, and her cousin Desnudate would be perfect for some two songs / one music video project, if that were a thing.

Never thought of a Woohoo/Desnudate video (double single release). Add Pitbull and it would've been a mega smash. aretha1

I dont think its underrated, i think its probably overrated by fans. The album lacked a soul to it. She said it was inspired by her son yet it was sexually charged and a mess. VIsually however it was solid and had her original album gone ahead in 2009 it would've been good