Wonder

Brace Yourself: Gaga's Halftime Show Will Probs Suck

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

no but im implying that you dismissing the importance of entertainment value might have to do with the fact that you stan an awful entertainer and performer (and lipsyncer that is) nat1 however you want to spin it, performing isnt about just singing. you have adele for that. point being, katy is a better performer, and you'll just have to deal with it nat1

Because ENTERTAINMENT VALUE IS SUBJECTIVE! Have they not taught you to read in 1st grade yet? I find talent entertaining, while others may find children's shows entertaining! Anyway, we're not talking about my fave, are we? I could also your fave is an awful entertainer, because I don't find noise, both auditory and visual, amusing! And you're gonna have to deal with it nat1 

Meanwhile, VOCAL TALENT, is mostly OBJECTIVE! Anyway, quote me when you're actually trying to stay on topic instead of resorting to detours because you've been dragged. Let's not! nat1 

Just now, Mark said:

Because ENTERTAINMENT VALUE IS SUBJECTIVE! Have they not taught you to read in 1st grade yet? I find talent entertaining, while others may find children's shows entertaining! Anyway, we're not talking about my fave, are we? I could also your fave is an awful entertainer, because I don't find noise, both auditory and visual, amusing! And you're gonna have to deal with it nat1 

Meanwhile, VOCAL TALENT, is mostly OBJECTIVE! Anyway, quote me when you're actually trying to stay on topic instead of resorting to detours because you've been dragged. Let's not! nat1 

too bad everyone disagrees and attend katy's tours and not mariahs xx

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

too bad everyone disagrees and attend katy's tours and not mariahs xx

too bad everyone disagrees with you as well and thinks taylor is such a wonderful performer that they attended her tours and bought her music instead! xx

Just now, Mark said:

too bad everyone disagrees with you as well and thinks taylor is such a wonderful performer that they attended her tours and bought her music instead! xx

fair enough

26 minutes ago, Benji said:

madonna doesnt exactly have the most powerful vocals but that didnt stop her from becoming the greatest performer ever lmfao1 katy following in the queen of pop's footprints gaga13

This. Katy (much like Madonna) actually shows emotion in her voice and has a way prettier tone compared to Gaga's ugly, deep, slurred man vocals that show no emotion. Just because someone is a stronger vocalist doesn't mean they have a better voice or tone. Gaga's few remaining stans will never get this through their head, poor them brit2 

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Gaga: great vibrato, smooth register transitions, a lot of resonance, weak at parts but I guess that's a stylistic choice, a little pitchy and whiny at high notes, great support, great lower-mid range and cute attempts at higher notes, not the best though.

Her vibrato plays no effective role in this performance so don't come up to me with this vague 'great vibrato' bullshit just so you can fit an entire line of compliments, it's rather inconsistent and is used at the last breath of the note which is an amateur technique, the only times where it's evident is when she presses on the "where do you think it's going" part and you can't stare me in the eyes and tell me that's a healthy technique, it sounds forced and unattached to her tone.

No smooth passaggio either, she unintentionally loses volume at 1:41 and register transitions should have taken place in the chorus, but she'd rather strain the fuck out than use her head voice because, lets face it, she doesn't know how to properly use it. Weird how you don't point that out and ignore it as if it's not a fatal flaw.

'a little pitchy and whiney' as if that's a good thing? her improvising is straight up horrid (always was) and she doesn't know how to build on a vocal momentum or a musical atmosphere, a skilled singer wouldn't do what she did in 4:00 - 4:11, that's such an essential flaw that I really don't need to elaborate on, it's just wrong on every level, it's not even one of these "I sacrificed my technique to sound emotional" kind of moment, it's just unbearable and off key shouting. So yeah, she's not an intelligent & imaginative interpreter.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Katy: pretty tone I guess, support is wack, I guess that's a stylistic choice, how does she sound breathless in a still performance? register transitions are cute I guess? barely any resonance, those mid notes sound so pushed it's not even cute? those attempts at runs aren't either. incredibly whiny. pitchy at multiple times, but I'll let that slide as a stylistic choice! there's not a lot of challenging notes, too.

There's barely any redeeming technical qualities to Katy's performance, but I guess it's pretty and that's why y'all think it's suddenly an amazing? Is this her best performance...?

She doesn't sound breathless at all to me, that's purely style and the evidence of that is her sounding exactly the same in the studio recordings as well. rip4 notice how she sends several radiations, volumes and is rhythmic and therefore creates a character, which Gaga rarely does, as shown in the performance in hand. Notice the sharp, quick - to - hit fast vibrato at 1:22 which not only add tons of personality but you need to be technical in order to be able to pull it off,  you can go ahead and mock Katy's style all you want, but at least with that style that you mock so much she achieved one of the most compelling voices of the late 000's and 10's in the world, does Gaga have that? absolutely not and you would be lying if you said otherwise.  I'm not saying Katy is amazing, by the way, in this very thread I said that she's a weak performer, what I'm arguing against is this mentality Gaga fans take pride in, no Gaga is not a terrific performer, she's average at best. Deal with it. If you want to to praise her vocals from a technical aspect then you go and do that, don't include the word performer into it because simply she has yet to put out a sublime tour, that's why I asked you to show me one tour performance of which is excellent and have you explain to me the reasons for that, I'm all ear. 

Fifth Harmony's performances are a laughing stock by the critics, yet each and every one of these girls can sing circles around Gaga, same applies for Ariana - she's a terrible performer but she's a great singer. So clearly these things are not correlated.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Do you ever wonder why Gaga is acclaimed as a vocalist and Katy isn't? I'm not even a huge Gaga stan or a Katy hater. I just have ears, I stan vocals and common sense tells me that Katy is far from Gaga's level vocally.

Merely due to the reason that she's Lady Gaga and the "omg I didn't know the girl who once wore a dead cow can sing like that!" effect.

Cheek 2 Cheek reviews were filled with reviews criticizing her whack vocal interpretation and how much she relies on the 'old school' jazz singer caricature when there are so many modern jazz singers out there who are so much more with and clever with their interpretations.

If you "stan vocals" then wtf are you doing here judging pop girls? that is not how you judge a pop girl, a pop girl is judged by how compelling her voice is, if you want to focus on technicality then go stan for Broadway and Opera singers, heck, a waitress at Stardust can embarrass Gaga's technicality any day, any time. So yeah, don't pull this bs on me.

53 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Her vibrato plays no effective role in this performance so don't come up to me with this vague 'great vibrato' bullshit just so you can fit an entire line of compliments, it's rather inconsistent and is used at the last breath of the note which is an amateur technique, the only times where it's evident is when she presses on the "where do you think it's going" part and you can't stare me in the eyes and tell me that's a healthy technique, it sounds forced and unattached to her tone.

No smooth passaggio either, she unintentionally loses volume at 1:41 and register transitions should have taken place in the chorus, but she'd rather strain the fuck out than use her head voice because, lets face it, she doesn't know how to properly use it. Weird how you don't point that out and ignore it as if it's not a fatal flaw.

'a little pitchy and whiney' as if that's a good thing? her improvising is straight up horrid (always was) and she doesn't know how to build on a vocal momentum or a musical atmosphere, a skilled singer wouldn't do what she did in 4:00 - 4:11, that's such an essential flaw that I really don't need to elaborate on, it's just wrong on every level, it's not even one of these "I sacrificed my technique to sound emotional" kind of moment, it's just unbearable and off key shouting. So yeah, she's not an intelligent & imaginative interpreter.

She doesn't sound breathless at all to me, that's purely style and the evidence of that is her sounding exactly the same in the studio recordings as well. rip4 notice how she sends several radiations, volumes and is rhythmic and therefore creates a character, which Gaga rarely does, as shown in the performance in hand. Notice the sharp, quick - to - hit fast vibrato at 1:22 which not only add tons of personality but you need to be technical in order to be able to pull it off,  you can go ahead and mock Katy's style all you want, but at least with that style that you mock so much she achieved one of the most compelling voices of the late 000's and 10's in the world, does Gaga have that? absolutely not and you would be lying if you said otherwise.  I'm not saying Katy is amazing, by the way, in this very thread I said that she's a weak performer, what I'm arguing against is this mentality Gaga fans take pride in, no Gaga is not a terrific performer, she's average at best. Deal with it. If you want to to praise her vocals from a technical aspect then you go and do that, don't include the word performer into it because simply she has yet to put out a sublime tour, that's why I asked you to show me one tour performance of which is excellent and have you explain to me the reasons for that, I'm all ear. 

Fifth Harmony's performances are a laughing stock by the critics, yet each and every one of these girls can sing circles around Gaga, same applies for Ariana - she's a terrible performer but she's a great singer. So clearly these things are not correlated.

Merely due to the reason that she's Lady Gaga and the "omg I didn't know the girl who once wore a dead cow can sing like that!" effect.

Cheek 2 Cheek reviews were filled with reviews criticizing her whack vocal interpretation and how much she relies on the 'old school' jazz singer caricature when there are so many modern jazz singers out there who are so much more with and clever with their interpretations.

If you "stan vocals" then wtf are you doing here judging pop girls? that is not how you judge a pop girl, a pop girl is judged by how compelling her voice is, if you want to focus on technicality then go stan for Broadway and Opera singers, heck, a waitress at Stardust can embarrass Gaga's technicality any day, any time. So yeah, don't pull this bs on me.

Lmao, you're doing the same thing you claim I'm doing. Do you hear those messy runs? The lack of support? The straining mid-range? Yet you say "well she has dynamics I guess that makes up for everything". Basically the only good things you listed about Katy was dynamics. Being rhythmic should be a given as a musician and so is vibrato as a singer. And again, this is far from Gaga's best performance yet this seems like one of Katy's best. Gaga had everything else Katy had and some more.

There are some tour vocals in here, although most are other televised performances:

If you think Katy can even hit notes above the 4th octave without losing support, please prove me wrong.

I know you hate Gaga but girl... rolleyes1 

Btw, Katy isn't popular because she has a "compelling voice", lmao. It's because she has good catchy songs. No one says "omg, California Gurls is such a great song, her vocals really captivated me!" 

And Ariana is a great singer, yes, but she's a horrible performer because she rarely ever holds herself live, she's usually out of breath. For your vocals to actually count towards your skill as a performer you kinda have to be able to do it WHILE performing. That's why I specified Gaga's live singing.

And if the "I didn't know she can sing" effect is so strong then why doesn't it ever happen to Katy, considering she's worn candy, shot cream out of her tits and talked about kissing girls? 

And stop giving me this subjective "interpretation" BS. We're talking about technique, since that's as objective as we can get. Using emotions or tone for critiquing is purely subjective. So what if her interpretation is cliché? Does that take away from technical prowess? Just because Mariah is inspired by soul singers does it mean that she's a horrible singer? Hell no.

And I happen to stan vocals and like pop music at the same time! Isn't that such a mind-blowing phenomenon? I guess if I stan vocals I should get back to sucking Barbra's ass instead of even bothering with pop girls! wat3 

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

This. Katy (much like Madonna) actually shows emotion in her voice and has a way prettier tone compared to Gaga's ugly, deep, slurred man vocals that show no emotion. Just because someone is a stronger vocalist doesn't mean they have a better voice or tone. Gaga's few remaining stans will never get this through their head, poor them brit2 

have you been replaced by an upgrade?

7 minutes ago, Mark said:

Lmao, you're doing the same thing you claim I'm doing. Do you hear those messy runs? The lack of support? The straining mid-range? Yet you say "well she has dynamics I guess that makes up for everything". Basically the only good things you listed about Katy was dynamics. Being rhythmic should be a given as a musician and so is vibrato as a singer. And again, this is far from Gaga's best performance yet this seems like one of Katy's best. Gaga had everything else Katy had and some more.

There are some tour vocals in here, although most are other televised performances:

If you think Katy can even hit notes above the 4th octave without losing support, please prove me wrong.

I know you hate Gaga but girl... rolleyes1 

Btw, Katy isn't popular because she has a "compelling voice", lmao. It's because she has good catchy songs. No one says "omg, California Gurls is such a great song, her vocals really captivated me!" 

And Ariana is a great singer, yes, but she's a horrible performer because she rarely ever holds herself live, she's usually out of breath. For your vocals to actually count towards your skill as a performer you kinda have to be able to do it WHILE performing. That's why I specified Gaga's live singing.

And if the "I didn't know she can sing" effect is so strong then why doesn't it ever happen to Katy, considering she's worn candy, shot cream out of her tits and talked about kissing girls? 

And stop giving me this subjective "interpretation" BS. We're talking about technique, since that's as objective as we can get. Using emotions or tone for critiquing is purely subjective. So what if her interpretation is cliché? Does that take away from technical prowess? Just because Mariah is inspired by soul singers does it mean that she's a horrible singer? Hell no.

And I happen to stan vocals and like pop music at the same time! Isn't that such a mind-blowing phenomenon? I guess if I stan vocals I should get back to sucking Barbra's ass instead of even bothering with pop girls! wat3 

this is embarrassing and ur running out of arguments. no one thinks of pop music like that 

Just now, Benji said:

this is embarrassing and ur running out of arguments. no one thinks of pop music like that 

True, lemme hand my wig to you Godji! I can't believe I thought my lies would go through your eyes! Ban me tbh!

Just now, Benji said:

here's your answer: is mariah global?

Just like her worldwide annual smash classic that will truly never be forgotten or overshadowed by any other pop girls aside from her co-vocal-trinity girls, All I Want For Godmas Is a Peak 21 Years Into Its Release? Yes, I guess!

Spoiler

I'm gonna assume that you're not as stupid as you seem and pretend like you can actually read and understand the arguments that apparently I'm running out of!

53 minutes ago, Mark said:

She is absolutely, one hundred percent popular because of her compelling voice's presence, sure people won't say it, but they definitely feel it. If she didn't sing her songs with such conviction they wouldn't have been such big hits.

Yet still you can't provide me one performance from Gaga's tours where her performing skills are impressive.

Because Katy never used a platform as huge as the fucking SB or the Oscars to cover beloved classics that she spent 6 months rehearsing for vocally? and Gaga's approach to gather our attention in the past was for more dehumanizing than how Katy presented her image, all of which contributed to the perception people had of Gaga, they just didn't think of Gaga as that type of singer and were shocked that she would sacrifice her shtick to deliver something 'normal'. I mean, Nicole Scherzinger's Don't Cry For Me Argentina and Phantom of The Opera performances trump Gaga's in every way possible and yet she didn't get half of Gaga's publicity, don't act like the drastic image shifting has nothing to do with this. 

And for fucks sake, I said when Gaga & Katy sing their own songs they're on the same level. Don't try to twist my sayings in order to make it seem like I'm saying Katy is a phenomenal vocalist, my argument is that Gaga fans are hypocrites because for every technical issue Katy has Gaga has one in return, so to make it seem like Gaga is this superior unmatched talent is ridiculous.

And stop giving me this subjective "interpretation" BS. We're talking about technique, since that's as objective as we can get. Using emotions or tone for critiquing is purely subjective. So what if her interpretation is cliché? Does that take away from technical prowess?

We talked about technique and I noted several flaws in Gaga's, others I could note is her singing too much from her throat, shouting to avoid high notes, being terribly pitchy if she's not on the piano and can take several breaks to "talk to the audience", often times can be very nasal etc... someone with a supposedly incredible techinque shouldn't have so many bad performances. We already have terrible performances of Perfect Illusion, Million Reasons and Joanne this era, someone with a great technique wouldn't have so many misses. Why doesn't Beyonce screw up so much?

Good for you then, just don't act like having a "solid techinque" suddenly makes a great performer then.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She's a horrible performer, please. 

yall needa stop this madness. only her covers got acclaim where's the merit in that? she aint gon perform covers at the SBHF

Okay we know you hate her but let's not get delusional.

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.