ajp

The Tension Lounge

1 minute ago, Solly said:

omg we eve1

put your hands up as an interlude reminds me of this (even tho its not really an interlude)

The setlist is so random here dead2

No Head which is super strange jj4

Also apparently this show was at 2am dead2

1 minute ago, Aidan. said:

The setlist is so random here dead2

No Head which is super strange jj4

Also apparently this show was at 2am dead2

I'm not surprised, it is mardi gras Sydney after all... eve1

8 hours ago, Freaky Prince said:

Why is no one talking about Swinging Safari? rav1 Seems like it'll be a fun movie.

I'm seeing an advanced screening this Saturday. So keen! antm1

@ajp

Ok this is driving me mad. I remember discussing some time back how CGYOOMH never went to #1 on whatever singles chart we had here at the time considering how messy it was dead2

Do we even know where it actually charted here dead2 I mean it was obviously big on Radio and TV but I cant locate Radio charts at all jj4

I have been looking into the messiness of the charts at the time. All the other Fever singles peaking in the Top 20 but did that even take into account other sources outside of what limited physical sales we had

11 hours ago, Aidan. said:

@ajp

Ok this is driving me mad. I remember discussing some time back how CGYOOMH never went to #1 on whatever singles chart we had here at the time considering how messy it was dead2

Do we even know where it actually charted here dead2 I mean it was obviously big on Radio and TV but I cant locate Radio charts at all jj4

I have been looking into the messiness of the charts at the time. All the other Fever singles peaking in the Top 20 but did that even take into account other sources outside of what limited physical sales we had

Breathe.mp3

OK - aretha1

1. Canadian Hot 100 didn't start until 2007. So anyone claiming that Kylie charted in the top 20 on that chart before it was started is just plain wrong.

2. Until 2007, Canada had 2 separate charts, a radio chart and a sales chart. Luckily, imports counted in our sales chart.

3. I think CGYOOMH charted at #72 on the sales chart, based solely on expensive UK imports. The US CD single import came out too late for it to help boost chart position because the US released CGYOOMH much later than Canada. EMI Canada followed the EMI UK's lead. I do think she went #1 on the radio chart.

4. LAFS didn't have a Canadian CD release either, but since EMI Canada followed the lead of the US, they were able to release it to radio at the same time helping with import sales. I don't think it went top 20 on the sales chart.

5. CIMW did have a Canadian CD Single (the only one off Fever) due to a collaboration that EMI Canada had with HMV Canada. They pressed a 2 track CDS for $2.99 and sold exclusively at HMV stores. I think it topped at #21 on the sales chart.

Bonus: IYE was suppose to be Single 2 in Canada but Capitol US stopped it because they wanted to go with LAFS and had commissioned US Radio Mixes which convinced EMI Canada to back off. 

Fever was successful in album sales simply because her songs were on the radio but there were no singles to buy. EMI Canada won more album counts than if they would have had CD singles. I think once 2003 came and digital sales began, CGYOOMH has probably sold more than it ever did when it was released in 2001. A true legend.

1 hour ago, ajp said:

Breathe.mp3

OK - aretha1

1. Canadian Hot 100 didn't start until 2007. So anyone claiming that Kylie charted in the top 20 on that chart before it was started is just plain wrong.

2. Until 2007, Canada had 2 separate charts, a radio chart and a sales chart. Luckily, imports counted in our sales chart.

3. I think CGYOOMH charted at #72 on the sales chart, based solely on expensive UK imports. The US CD single import came out too late for it to help boost chart position because the US released CGYOOMH much later than Canada. EMI Canada followed the EMI UK's lead. I do think she went #1 on the radio chart.

4. LAFS didn't have a Canadian CD release either, but since EMI Canada followed the lead of the US, they were able to release it to radio at the same time helping with import sales. I don't think it went top 20 on the sales chart.

5. CIMW did have a Canadian CD Single (the only one off Fever) due to a collaboration that EMI Canada had with HMV Canada. They pressed a 2 track CDS for $2.99 and sold exclusively at HMV stores. I think it topped at #21 on the sales chart.

Bonus: IYE was suppose to be Single 2 in Canada but Capitol US stopped it because they wanted to go with LAFS and had commissioned US Radio Mixes which convinced EMI Canada to back off. 

Fever was successful in album sales simply because her songs were on the radio but there were no singles to buy. EMI Canada won more album counts than if they would have had CD singles. I think once 2003 came and digital sales began, CGYOOMH has probably sold more than it ever did when it was released in 2001. A true legend.

I love history like this cry7

I bought that CIMW CD Single at the same time I bought the 2xCD version of Fever cry7 However I bought them both at the former Sunrise chain in Niagara Square ( rip1 ) with a Sunrise GC I got for Xmas 2002

17 minutes ago, Aidan. said:

I love history like this cry7

I bought that CIMW CD Single at the same time I bought the 2xCD version of Fever cry7 However I bought them both at the former Sunrise chain in Niagara Square ( rip1 ) with a Sunrise GC I got for Xmas 2002

Kind of off topic unrelated to KM, but when Canadian Labels gave up on physical formats, it really killed the sales chart...to the point of it being a bit of a joke.

There are 5 radio formats in Canada: Top 40, Hot AC, AC, Rock, Country. Before 2007, there would be roughly 250 current songs playing on the radio - but only about 20 of them actually having any physical single. So how does one create a sales chart when only a fraction of songs can qualify? Also, what do you call a chart that depends on imports to make a song chart? What happens to a domestic song that has no import? 

I remember when the Sales chart was Top 100, then Top 75, then Top 50 and so on until it stopped publishing at Top 15. Sure, Kylie may have made Top 20 with LAFS but anything selling 10 copies made it into Top 20. All of Madonna's singles were a guaranteed #1 in 24 hours. It was the dark ages in Canadian Music History. Until the Billboard Hot 100 was established, the Candian charts were a bit 3rd world. 

Glad you got the CIMW CDS, it is a little gem. rav3

4 minutes ago, ajp said:

Kind of off topic unrelated to KM, but when Canadian Labels gave up on physical formats, it really killed the sales chart...to the point of it being a bit of a joke.

There are 5 radio formats in Canada: Top 40, Hot AC, AC, Rock, Country. Before 2007, there would be roughly 250 current songs playing on the radio - but only about 20 of them actually having any physical single. So how does one create a sales chart when only a fraction of songs can qualify? Also, what do you call a chart that depends on imports to make a song chart? What happens to a domestic song that has no import? 

I remember when the Sales chart was Top 100, then Top 75, then Top 50 and so on until it stopped publishing at Top 15. Sure, Kylie may have made Top 20 with LAFS but anything selling 10 copies made it into Top 20. All of Madonna's singles were a guaranteed #1 in 24 hours. It was the dark ages in Canadian Music History. Until the Billboard Hot 100 was established, the Candian charts were a bit 3rd world. 

Glad you got the CIMW CDS, it is a little gem. rav3

I never realized how truly bad it was til I started looking into them this past week

I remember my stepdad always saying there was basically no singles market in Canada post 2000 because everyone was buying albums. It was sad for someone like me who LOVED buying singles. Going to the UK in 2000s was a dream for me cause entering HMV there and all the singles cry7 I loved it

I did buy all the Fever CD singles bar IYE in a Canadian CD Store some time between 2002 and 2003.

I remember I got Head in HMV, LAFS in CD Plus - I think thats what it was called lmao rip2 CIMW at Sunrise. Those were nice little surprises for me cry7