sledgehammer

Bigger music career: Kylie Minogue or J.Lo?

Bigger music career: Kylie Minogue or J.Lo?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger music career: Kylie Minogue or J.Lo?

J.Lo for me. her music reached/reaches to a much wider audience, her songs in spanish can still smash in Latin America (a fairly populated area) while Kylie's latest releases have flopped badly. 

they seem pretty equal but i feel like when things get disected into tiny little pieces, J takes the crown.

21 hours ago, Gabe. said:

J.Lo for me. her music reached/reaches to a much wider audience, her songs in spanish can still smash in Latin America (a fairly populated area) while Kylie's latest releases have flopped badly. 

they seem pretty equal but i feel like when things get disected into tiny little pieces, J takes the crown.

yet pretty nonexsistent on the charts nowadays

If we look at the bigger picture,Kylie definitely takes the crown: a 30-year career, a ton of worldwide hits,a ton of reincarnations,a string of sold out worldwide tours,constant press attention,and all that without the help of the USA,the only worldwide icon who managed that.And up until 2011,everyone's answer would've been Kylie.

BUT....
Since 2012 Kylie's been borderlining on heritage status,had zero hits and even her recent tour sold miserably compared to the previous ones.She and her team had no clue how to market her properly,chose the wrong songs as singles,she almost had no viral presence and it all seemed half arsed.I can't even pinpoint a single iconic look after  Aphrodite.

J.Lo on the other hand,is definitely an icon.She's seen as very successful,has top notch looks and videos which help sell a ton of concert tickets,despite the questionably successful record sales.That's the real indicator of relevance in 2016.She evolved into a worldwide icon,all with the help of smart marketing.Even with her songs flopping,she still has huge pulling power and is a constant presence in the worldwide media,both in the press and web.

J.Lo decided not to be heritage.Kylie didn't.

So J.Lo without a doubt.

Wake the fuck up Kylie.

Kylie could be so much more successful in the states if she and her team marketed her better here. When she came here on the Aphrodite Tour and her US Tour, she sold her shows, granted they were in smaller theater venues. Kylie has good, even great music. It is a damn shame that so many people around here don't realize that. J.Lo was once upon a time a hit to most general audiences in the States and was fucking huge with Latin American audiences. Now, she still has those Latin American crowds under her and some of her US and European crowds are still with her. But her main selling point crowd wise is her Latin crowds. J.Lo, like Kylie just doesn't market herself well so it makes it difficult to find a ton of success away from your core audience. The reason artists like Madonna, Beyonce, and Britney found success outside of the states is because they made great records backed by fantastic promotion and pushed for worldwide ticket sales. Did they sell out in other countries instantly? No! (though Madonna and Beyonce sold fast in their first outside US trips.) But they didn't just give up on it. They kept coming back and it got people's attention. Kylie and J.Lo just need to buckle down and keep hitting different markets hard with album releases and tours. If they do that, then they have all of the potential in the world to be true world wide pop stars.

why the hell is kylie even winning? eve1 

her sales arent even that impressive considering she's been around for like 30 freakin years rip2

jlo, at one point, was like one of the 3 biggest pop stars in the world. Kylie has never been global eve1 her only hit is cant get you outta my head and that song wasnt even that big in America.

Kylie is a nobody in the biggest music market in the world and it's not like her sales in Europe are that impressive either (aside from the UK). JLO has the bigger hits AND albums. 

LEGENDLIE has global sales, critical acclaim, iconic videos, legendary songs, memorable solo hits, a successful career of ~30 years and love from the GP. 

What does J-Lo have?

Oh yeah.

Pitbull.

Also I find it very ironic that some of you dismiss Legendlie as "local" and a "flop", yet seem so concerned with creating threads like this that fail to dismiss her brilliantly successful career and global icon status! rih8

3 hours ago, trashmagic said:

LEGENDLIE has global sales, critical acclaim, iconic videos, legendary songs, memorable solo hits, a successful career of ~30 years and love from the GP. 

What does J-Lo have?

Oh yeah.

Pitbull.

Not you acting like J.Lo doesn't have all of that and that she's some kind of flop.rip2 J.Lo has 3 albums that sold over 5 million worldwide, Kylie one has 2. J.Lo has more global hits than Kylie (whose only true GLOBAL hit was Can't Get You Out Of My Head): If You Had My Love, Love Don't Cost A Thing, On The Floor etc.. Que Hiciste was big in Spanish speaking countries too. J.Lo is the reason for Google images (her Versace dress actually). She's a huge brand. Even when she flops she is a household name and A-list celebrity. She's the biggest sex symbol of 21st century (she always makes the Hottest/Most Beautiful Women lists).

On 12/29/2016 at 7:04 AM, Gilly said:

why the hell is kylie even winning? eve1 

her sales arent even that impressive considering she's been around for like 30 freakin years rip2

jlo, at one point, was like one of the 3 biggest pop stars in the world. Kylie has never been global eve1 her only hit is cant get you outta my head and that song wasnt even that big in America.

Kylie is a nobody in the biggest music market in the world and it's not like her sales in Europe are that impressive either (aside from the UK). JLO has the bigger hits AND albums. 

Jlo has NA. Kylie outsold jlo in Europe, Australia. In South America and Asia they are around the same in sales. I don't know their stats in Africa. Jlo released her biggest album at the peak of album sales during her early career. And she still did around what Kylie did at that time with Fever. Difference is Kylie was 14 years into her career when she did that. While jlo was 2 years into her career. Even without UK, Kylie still sold more in Europe than Jlo. Kylie also is the bigger touring act. And is a more impactful artist music-wise.

33 minutes ago, light741 said:

Jlo has NA. Kylie outsold jlo in Europe, Australia. In South America and Asia they are around the same in sales. I don't know their stats in Africa. Jlo released her biggest album at the peak of album sales during her early career. And she still did around what Kylie did at that time with Fever. Difference is Kylie was 14 years into her career when she did that. While jlo was 2 years into her career. Even without UK, Kylie still sold more in Europe than Jlo. Kylie also is the bigger touring act. And is a more impactful artist music-wise.

J.Lo is bigger in South America and Asia though. Her biggest album was her second one, J.Lo, which sold 8.32 million copies while Fever sold 6.33 million copies. Their sales in Europe:

Kylie - 15,89, in the UK 9.895 (5,995 outside of the UK)

J.Lo - 9.04, in the UK 2.24 (6,8 outside of the UK)

so J.Lo actually sold more in Europe outside of the UK and she has way less albums than Kylie. J.Lo hasn't toured as much as Kylie, but I am sure her first tour grossed more than any Kylie tour. And her Vegas residency is doing amazing. J.Lo is also bigger on streaming services than Kylie and that is by a large margin.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why do the white gays (tm) try to put a mediocre white woman to the same level as a Latina woman who has dominated globally, something Kylie failed to do Jlo definitely had the bigger music caree

Kylie has OBE (Officer of the order of the british empire), a D. H. Sc. (Doctor of health science degree) and ordre de arts et de lettres (France), so i'd think twice before doing it if i were you.

JLO's biggest hit was Pitbull's and it's aged terribly, it's a mess! No wonder Mariah doesn't even know the bloody woman exists! 

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.