ajp

George Michael Dead

5cd41e19c23ff7c6e9fb221f8fb1fcfc.jpg

Singer George Michael has died aged 53, his publicist has said.

The star, who launched his career with Wham in the 1980s and later continued his success as a solo performer, is said to have "passed away peacefully at home".

Thames Valley Police said South Central Ambulance Service attended a property in Goring in Oxfordshire at 13:42 GMT. 

Police say there were no suspicious circumstances.

Click here for BBC News

scream1

Update:

His manager, Michael Lippman, said he had died of heart failure. 

Former Wham! bandmate Andrew Ridgeley said he was "heartbroken at the loss of my beloved friend".

Writing on Twitter and referring to Michael by his family nickname of "Yog", he added: "Me, his loved ones, his friends, the world of music, the world at large. 4ever loved. A xx"

On Instagram, Sir Elton John posted a photograph of himself with Michael, writing: "I am in deep shock. I have lost a beloved friend - the kindest, most generous soul and a brilliant artist. My heart goes out to his family and all of his fans."

Michael's family announced news of his death in a statement issued through the singer's publicist.

"It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period," it said.

"The family would ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time. There will be no further comment at this stage."

UPDATE: March 7/17

George Michael died of natural causes, a coroner has ruled.

Careless Whisper star George died of natural causes from dilated cardiomyopathy with myocarditis and fatty liver, a coroner has said.

Oxfordshire's senior coroner Darren Salter said in a statement: "Inquiries into the death of George Michael have been concluded and the final post mortem report received.

"As there is a confirmed natural cause of death, being dilated cardiomyopathy with myocarditis and fatty liver, the investigation is being discontinued and there is no need for an inquest or any further inquiries."

rip1