Jon.

A lamb's meltdown on the NYE performance

Normally battleground threads relating to Mariah doesn't faze me one bit because it's not that big of a deal and plus, I have been through the Rockefeller incident myself so most of these threads about Mariah pales in comparison. However, this is getting huge and much much worse compared to the Rockefeller incident so it actually struck a chord to me. A few things actually struck me so hard emotionally and it hurts so badly considering that it's the New Year and also, for several reasons.

Let's showcase the video first. First thing was the damn technical issues. I am extremely mad at this very fact. The fact that this has occurred so many damn times for the past few years is beyond me and appalling. If you can clearly check out the video once again, go to 1:14 mark. You could see her initially trying to find her ear piece, while behind of her was her head dancer apparently slotting the ear piece somewhere. Moving onto 1:23 mark, you could see her trying to find the ear piece somewhere but because it was slotted somewhere in the back, she couldn't find it. Obviously her first move was to say happy new year to everyone in the audience. After that, during the 1:33 mark, we could see her struggling to find the damn ear piece again so that she could perform the song, and that didn't work too. You could see her doing the same thing at the 2:24 mark, where she tried to find the ear piece again. You could hear her say the word "ear piece" during that exact moment as well.

During performances, if a ear piece doesn't work out, there's the monitor at the opposite side that could help an artist or performer to get back on track again. However, the monitors were somehow turned off. We could clearly hear Mariah say "Get these monitors on please" at the 2:32 mark but they remained off. So she turned to the audience and asked them to sing so that she could somehow have a clue on which part the song is at. Then when the audience sang the final part during the bridge that leads to the final chorus, Mariah somehow had some idea which part she should be singing. However, the inability to hear her ear piece and also due to the screaming from the audience, she lost track once again. Also, I believe that she didn't want to aggravate the situation by singing out of tune from not being able to hear herself. So she kinda gave up and tried to do something else like dancing around with the dancer, which ironically was the one who fucked her over during the start of the performance, was there with her.

EVjeYiN.png

I believed that she really wanted to sing Emotions live fully (except for the whistle register notes). I mean, if she was planning to lip sync the whole damn song, there would've prerecorded vocals played on the existing track but there wasn't. So don't come and try it with me on this. Liron, one of Mariah's closest and most trustable associates, asked her this question on why she didn't want to lip sync Emotions and she said that all she wanted to do was to make people happy. Well, I guess now that got all the haters happy that this performance destroyed everything that she tried to rebuild for the past two years and gave them the chance to brag about how her career is over.

And as for the We Belong Together performance, I'd like to believe that she wanted to sing along a pre-recorded track, something that has been done by many artists and performers over the years for such huge events. Either way, I'm not gonna defend it because we have pre-recorded vocals anyway so it could mean that she could want to lip sync to it. But I can feel that halfway through the performance, right after all the mess has occurred, she just gave up as shown from 4:51 mark. I think she kinda saw some of the disappointment and possibly, booing from the audience and she just gave up. I would do the same if I were on the same stage. She was walking to the edge of the stage like she was gonna leave, and then the head dancer came back up and brought her down. From that moment on, I could already see the hurt and anger in her eyes. Fast forward to 5:31 mark, we could see her trying to grab something on the right side of her shoulder, the area where she had placed the ear piece initially. By then, she kinda knew that there's nothing she could do.

However, what hurt me the most at the end of the performance was that after the whole mess, she said - "It just doesn't get any better" - yes, she said that at the end of We Belong Together. And for a split second within, I saw the anger and hurt in her eyes, something that I have yet seen in her eyes. The whole thing clearly struck her a lot and she attempted to hide it behind all the speaking and laughter. But you can definitely see her frustration, and I can definitely understand that. She could attempt to sing some random stuff acapella but because of the screaming crowd and other factors like the inability to hear herself, she would've gone out of tuned and a Rockefeller incident would've occurred. Either way, she's fucked up real bad.

That actually hurts me a bit because she has spent the last 2 years trying to rebuild her reputation that she could sing very well again, only to be squashed with this very performance. It's like all these effort wasn't placed in the very first place and that hurts because I was there all the way to see her try to regain the GP's trust that she could still sing, only to get smashed down and now she's back to square one again. The first thing that I hope she tries to fix in the near future is the fixing ALL of the technical issues. The fact that she is still plagued by this in most of her performances, especially ones that is aired live on television. The fact that she slays her tours with phenomenal vocals and the technical issues aren't present but when it comes to live television, her team always fuck up the whole thing. One more thing is her PR team. The fact that they aren't doing ANYTHING to stop the wildfire that's spreading. I know that the GP would eventually get over this but I'm appalled at how this whole thing went out for her.

I'll always love her as a stan and will support whenever she releases something new but the fact that technical issues like this is still occurring from someone of her stature is just.... disappointing and hurtful. I know that she has nothing to prove already since she's a legend but since she's a legend, her team should have ensured that everything would be in place for her so that if anything occurs, there's a backup plan at least. But here, we can clearly see that there were no backups and her team just let her spiral even further down, making it an even bigger mess. I really hope that she gets everything fixed once and for all because this is just hurtful.

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

Shit happens shrug1

Well, I would agree with you if this only happened to her a few times over the past few years.

However, the issue isn't something as simple as "shit happens" unfortunately. It has always been an ongoing issue for her for YEARS now and it's actually baffling to see what is her PR team is doing right now to slow down the wildfire - which is basically nothing. Mariah and her team might think that the old method of just being quiet about the incident would work out but that's not the case at this day and age. If I were her, I would've already made an official statement regarding the whole thing and not remain silent about it.

giveup1

2 minutes ago, Jon. said:

Well, I would agree with you if this only happened to her a few times over the past few years.

However, the issue isn't something as simple as "shit happens" unfortunately. It has always been an ongoing issue for her for YEARS now and it's actually baffling to see what is her PR team is doing right now to slow down the wildfire - which is basically nothing. Mariah and her team might think that the old method of just being quiet about the incident would work out but that's not the case at this day and age. If I were her, I would've already made an official statement regarding the whole thing and not remain silent about it.

giveup1

I see, but I don't think it's easy for her to just come out like that, I mean yeah, truth hurts but she's a legend on her own. shrug1 I haven't really kept tabs on her as I don't claim myself a stan though I've started to listen Mariah more and more lately. However, I would not mind her lipsyncing, God knows a lot of artists do that, but it'd be nice of her if she tried harder. 

1 minute ago, Flash said:

I see, but I don't think it's easy for her to just come out like that, I mean yeah, truth hurts but she's a legend on her own. shrug1 I haven't really kept tabs on her as I don't claim myself a stan though I've started to listen Mariah more and more lately. However, I would not mind her lipsyncing, God knows a lot of artists do that, but it'd be nice of her if she tried harder. 

Yeah, it would've been difficult to make a statement regarding it. But I don't think that she should be avoiding all this just like that. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if she lip syncs as well. However, if she wants to lip sync, at least do it correctly. If not, just change some of the arrangements of the song so that it could fit her current vocal ability. Obviously, she could hit those sky high notes from time to time. But not as frequent as before due to a lot of factors. And I think the reason why she felt hurt and angry was because the NYE ball is a HUGE platform and everyone watches it. Hence, it could be a comeback for her that she could sing again following the Rockefeller incident because millions would be tuning in to watch it, if she had nailed it that is.

It was simply the vocal track not playing which she was meant to LIPSYNCH.

The only alternative for her to do is to actually sing live but clearly she couldn't be bothered. eve1

She's a dumbass and too full of herself. The fact she was so pressed that she didn't even bother doing WBT well to make up for that shitty other song. (No clue what the title is)

Posted from my iPhone using the FOTP app

I see, but I don't think it's easy for her to just come out like that, I mean yeah, truth hurts but she's a legend on her own. default_kanyeshrug.gif I haven't really kept tabs on her as I don't claim myself a stan though I've started to listen Mariah more and more lately. However, I would not mind her lipsyncing, God knows a lot of artists do that, but it'd be nice of her if she tried harder. 

The problem with Mariah is that she doesn't have a reason to be lipsynching. The artists that actually lipsynch do it because they do extreme choreographies that would let their singing suffer.

Moo is doing it to hide the fact that she's a terrible singer nowadays. She is a SINGER she was never a performer. No one wants to see Mariah Carey ("one of the best selling female vocalists") LIPSYNCHING whilst being carried around the stage like a stranded whale.

I guess I'm not understanding where the problem really started. 

Was it that she didn't have the ear monitor in when Emotions started? I would think she should have had it in for Auld Lang Syne. It's possible it came out during the transition from ALS to Emotions when she was behind the fans. Even so though, she's performed that song a hundred times and I don't buy the excuse that she lost her spot when the song starts with the chorus and with the background singers singing on the track. But I guess she could have just gotten nervous and never recovered from there. 

Even so, this seems like an amateur mistake for such a seasoned pro. 

I'm sorry but you need to stop making excuses for her and saying it wasn't her fault.

She obviously hadn't planned to sing live - throughout she was ad-libbing in all the right places which suggests she COULD hear. Why didn't she start singing? OK it may have sounded underwhelming if she couldn't hear herself, but it would've been better than the pathetic spectacle she made the whole of America sit through. Her attitude stinks.

Her moaning that there wasn't a soundcheck - you better believe that there would've been several soundchecks for such a huge broadcast, but being the diva she is she was probably late to them all and they didn't have time to accommodate more.

20 minutes ago, Salvatore said:

The problem with Mariah is that she doesn't have a reason to be lipsynching. The artists that actually lipsynch do it because they do extreme choreographies that would let their singing suffer.

Moo is doing it to hide the fact that she's a terrible singer nowadays. She is a SINGER she was never a performer. No one wants to see Mariah Carey ("one of the best selling female vocalists") LIPSYNCHING whilst being carried around the stage like a stranded whale.

I mean, I understand that, but people DID come and see Mariah singing live, it's not like she's an artist since yesterday and then voices do change. I mean, this can be applied in all the cases?

Why didn't Rebel Heart tour sold as much as the other M tours ?

Why didn't Katy had #5 no. 1s off Prism? 

I totally understand that she could have TRIED harder and it's her fault but it's nothing wrong if she chooses to lypsinc. shrug1 She's through her prime, she don't have to prove anything anymore.

The deluded excuses. It was HER fault, get over it. She could hear, she knew exactly what song was playing. When she tried to sing she was in perfect sync with the track so she COULD hear. Not to mention she lip-synched with no problem to the previous song and WBT, so the monitors suddenly stopped working all at once (monitors on stage + wireless monitoring) during Emotions and started working again the minute WBT started? The bitch CANNOT sing Emotions, and they forgot to play her prerecorded vocals, she chickened out and chose not to sing, that's her fault, period. Oh, and didn't she pride herself over having perfect pitch, then she shouldn't have a problem singing to a song that she has been singing since 20+ years ago in the exact same key, just saying. nat1 

17 minutes ago, Salvatore said:

The only alternative for her to do is to actually sing live but clearly she couldn't be bothered. eve1

She's a dumbass and too full of herself. The fact she was so pressed that she didn't even bother doing WBT well to make up for that shitty other song. (No clue what the title is)

Truly interesting that you said that! You clearly skipped a HUGE chunk of what I actually wrote explaining why she didn't attempt to sing live in an attempt to save the mess. If Mariah attempted to sing live and couldn't hear herself, so basically she'll go out of tuned like every normal human being in her case, you would just say that Mariah is over vocally because she can't sing, when she has proven multiple times throughout the year that he could still very well sing. Adding on with the fact that she had previously had the Rockefeller incident, would you attempt to sing again when you can't hear yourself on stage, in the similar situation?

5 minutes ago, The Ones That Entertain said:

I guess I'm not understanding where the problem really started. 

Was it that she didn't have the ear monitor in when Emotions started? I would think she should have had it in for Auld Lang Syne. It's possible it came out during the transition from ALS to Emotions when she was behind the fans. Even so though, she's performed that song a hundred times and I don't buy the excuse that she lost her spot when the song starts with the chorus and with the background singers singing on the track. But I guess she could have just gotten nervous and never recovered from there. 

Even so, this seems like an amateur mistake for such a seasoned pro. 

I'll have to agree with this. This has to be one of the bigger platforms that she's performed on in a while and millions of people and she's always one to be nervous when she performs in front of millions of people even though she's done it for years now - which I find actually kinda sad. I just hope that there's just someone there with her to let her know that it's alright if she can't be like her prime-self vocally because if she actually takes time to warm up, she could have the same vocals that's close to the 90s, which is proven from her Beacon 2014 and Beacon 2015 vocal slayage.

3 minutes ago, Dangerous Jim said:

I'm sorry but you need to stop making excuses for her and saying it wasn't her fault.

She obviously hadn't planned to sing live - throughout she was ad-libbing in all the right places which suggests she COULD hear. Why didn't she start singing? OK it may have sounded underwhelming if she couldn't hear herself, but it would've been better than the pathetic spectacle she made the whole of America sit through. Her attitude stinks.

Her moaning that there wasn't a soundcheck - you better believe that there would've been several soundchecks for such a huge broadcast, but being the diva she is she was probably late to them all and they didn't have time to accommodate more.

Did I say that it isn't her fault? I didn't. But what I'm trying to say that this isn't ENTIRELY her fault. If it was her and her alone, I would've called her out for it. If she had started to sing and gone out of tuned, it would be more than just sounding "underwhelming". Any artist in her case would have gone out of tuned as well if they had opened their mouth under a situation where they couldn't hear themselves. Adding on with the fact that she had experienced the Rockefeller incident before this, it makes things worst for her. Would you rather try to risk singing out of tuned again when it had happened to you once before? It depends on person to person but normally one wouldn't repeat that same thing again.

"being the diva that she is she was probably late to them all" - but how can you know for sure? Just because she's a diva doesn't mean that she's the one to blame. During her Rockefeller incident, she was late and people ridiculed her for that. And soon after, it turns out that she was having issues with her divorce with Nick Cannon and all that lawyer stuff with his side. She didn't even open her mouth on that and let things be and just let herself get ridiculed. It's just so easy for y'all to assume something but we'll never actually know what actually happens behind the scenes.

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

I mean, I understand that, but people DID come and see Mariah singing live, it's not like she's an artist since yesterday and then voices do change. I mean, this can be applied in all the cases?

Why didn't Rebel Heart tour sold as much as the other M tours ?

Why didn't Katy had #5 no. 1s off Prism? 

I totally understand that she could have TRIED harder and it's her fault but it's nothing wrong if she chooses to lypsinc. shrug1 She's through her prime, she don't have to prove anything anymore.

How are these situations in any way comparable? I don't think there is any excuse for whatever that "performance" was. Lipsynching is extremely common with Mariah, this is not the biggest problem here, the problem is how she responded to the issue. It's a problem BECAUSE she's an established artist, if this was a new act, it'd be a rookie mistake. She is supposed to be a professional, seasoned artist. There is nothing to "prove" and it is never a proof of anything.

It's extremely shameful she probably did not even rehearse it and looked extremely upset/saddened on stage and ashamed. There's no need for damage control.

Just now, Portia said:

How are these situations in any way comparable? I don't think there is any excuse for whatever that "performance" was. Lipsynching is extremely common with Mariah, this is not the biggest problem here, the problem is how she responded to the issue. It's a problem BECAUSE she's an established artist, if this was a new act, it'd be a rookie mistake. She is stopped to be a professional, seasoned artist. There is nothing to "prove" and it is never a proof of anything.

It's extremely shameful she probably did not even rehearse it and looked extremely upset/saddened on stage and ashamed. There's no need for damage control.

In sense that he implied that people came to see Mariah live as if she still has something to prove. 

I do blame her for the mess, I just said that it doesn't mean that she should not lipsync. It's her choice.

You'd be surprised at the wonders that "Stop, stop, stop. Sorry guys, i'm having technical difficulties, my earpiece isnt working. Could you help me sing along ¨*insert here whatever decently popular song she's still able to sing*¨?" can do. BAM, headlines would have gone from "Mariah botches NYE performance" to "Mariah delivers sweet rendition of *song name here* for NYE despite technical difficulties"

1 hour ago, Salvatore said:

Did Mariah kill your dog or something? fall2

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Normally battleground threads relating to Mariah doesn't faze me one bit because it's not that big of a deal and plus, I have been through the Rockefeller incident myself so most of these threads abou

You'd be surprised at the wonders that "Stop, stop, stop. Sorry guys, i'm having technical difficulties, my earpiece isnt working. Could you help me sing along ¨*insert here whatever decently popular

Did Mariah kill your dog or something?  

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.