Do you revolt against digital music?

53 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Princess Aurora said:

That's the one I have but it was really hard to find that one dead2 

I could get all the remaining Japan ones on Amazon JP, but that site's checkout is a fucking mess dead2 

Just now, Courtney Love said:

Okay the only CD I bought a duplicate of was Nirvana's Nevermind so I could get an edition without the hidden track Endless, Nameless because it is included as a B Side on my Come As You Are single. Support that industry I guess! dead4 

It's not  that I want to support the industry, I just want lots of music shit.

1 minute ago, Sheezus said:

I could get all the remaining Japan ones on Amazon JP, but that site's checkout is a fucking mess dead2 

I know, right ? dead2 I sometimes go to CDJapan to get those versions tbh

Just now, Princess Aurora said:

I know, right ? dead2 I sometimes go to CDJapan to get those versions tbh

PM me if you wanna keep talking, so we're not spamming rav2 

2 minutes ago, Sheezus said:

PM me if you wanna keep talking, so we're not spamming rav2 

oh yeah, you're right rav2 

56 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

Yes for the consumer, because we are essentially going into someone's store and stealing their products with the excuse 'you get enough money elsewhere'. This isn't a healthy nor sustainable approach to something that is not rightfully ours to take.

Well, why should we defend people who want to sell us creativity for their own profit? dead7 Music should be about the listening experience, about the celebration of human creativity, not about making label execs rich eve1 

It's a different thing when bands go on Bandcamp and the money you pay goes directly to them, but this "you have to buy cd's officially or you're stealing from someone" myth is just the sign of the domestication of the consumer who will defend its torturer katy2 Artists and bands who are signed by labels already get a steady income, so why should I be painted as someone who steals from people? I'm just more in favor of a commercial model where you only spend money on products you are absolutely sure are worth the investment, and no one is gonna tell me that is a stupid, cruel and criminal stance to have ayumi1

Besides, as many people have already said: the real money comes from touring, and actually the more people download illegally, the more reason they will have to check out a lot more artists live, which then in turn generates a lot more income aretha1 So no, it's not as simple as you and your exec pals paint the picture. 

My ideal situation is the one one of my favorite metal bands, the Czech based Cult of Fire creates for their fans: they simply throw their whole album online on YouTube for free (they don't use streaming services or even iTunes), and they sell beautifully crafted physical packages and responsibly manufactured merchandise via small companies lj1 And then they just promote their work on tour. That's my kind of release model, it's the most kind and reasonable in this day and age, and it's not my fault that other artists prefer to sign contracts with labels so they can get richer. That's their choice, I make mine.

12 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Well, why should we defend people who want to sell us creativity for their own profit? dead7 Music should be about the listening experience, about the celebration of human creativity, not about making label execs rich eve1 

It's a different thing when bands go on Bandcamp and the money you pay goes directly to them, but this "you have to buy cd's officially or you're stealing from someone" myth is just the sign of the domestication of the consumer who will defend its torturer katy2 Artists and bands who are signed by labels already get a steady income, so why should I be painted as someone who steals from people? I'm just more in favor of a commercial model where you only spend money on products you are absolutely sure are worth the investment, and no one is gonna tell me that is a stupid, cruel and criminal stance to have ayumi1

Besides, as many people have already said: the real money comes from touring, and actually the more people download illegally, the more reason they will have to check out a lot more artists live, which then in turn generates a lot more income aretha1 So no, it's not as simple as you and your exec pals paint the picture. 

My ideal situation is the one one of my favorite metal bands, the Czech based Cult of Fire creates for their fans: they simply throw their whole album online on YouTube for free (they don't use streaming services or even iTunes), and they sell beautifully crafted physical packages and responsibly manufactured merchandise via small companies lj1 And then they just promote their work on tour. That's my kind of release model, it's the most kind and reasonable in this day and age, and it's not my fault that other artists prefer to sign contracts with labels so they can get richer. That's their choice, I make mine.

I think this is a great reflection of this generation's entitlement to everything. I'd be pretty pissed if something I put together was uploaded online and given out in a means I didn't authorise regardless of how much money I'm making. It would still be rightfully mine.

'My ideal situation is the one one of my favorite metal bands, the Czech based Cult of Fire creates for their fans: they simply throw their whole album online on YouTube for free (they don't use streaming services or even iTunes), and they sell beautifully crafted physical packages and responsibly manufactured merchandise via small companies' I actually think this is a great idea, and considering it is the band's choice it's an idea I can get behind.

My argument comes more to our age as a whole. Rolling out of bed, grabbing your phone and pressing a button to download music just doesn't seem exciting to me, but then music is as a whole far more accessible to people now than ever. I guess I just wish things existed more in our three dimensional reality than from behind a screen.

13 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Trump, we already have a wall here rip3

12 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

I think this is a great reflection of this generation's entitlement to everything. I'd be pretty pissed if something I put together, was uploaded online and given out in a means I didn't authorise.

'My ideal situation is the one one of my favorite metal bands, the Czech based Cult of Fire creates for their fans: they simply throw their whole album online on YouTube for free (they don't use streaming services or even iTunes), and they sell beautifully crafted physical packages and responsibly manufactured merchandise via small companies' I actually think this is a great idea, and considering it is the band's choice it's an idea I can get behind.

My argument comes more to our age as a whole. Rolling out of bed, grabbing your phone and pressing a button to download music just doesn't seem exciting to me, but then music is as a whole far more accessible to people now than ever. I guess I just wish things existed more in our three dimensional reality than from behind a screen.

I can easily use that same logic against you tho moo5

I'm sure previous generations are now thinking while they're rotting in their graves about how silly it is for people to enjoy music through a music installation or mechanically enhanced music performance, music is all about real, physical instruments doing their thing with natural acoustics, it's supposed to be an intimate and spontaneous encounter and the very idea of recording something like that is the sign of the new generation feeling entitled to enjoying music the way they want instead of respecting the musicians blah blah blah ayumi1 If you truly wished things existed more in our "three dimensional reality" then maybe you should just make music yourself with whatever instruments, real or improvised, you have around you instead of relying on other artists for your own creative fulfillment, you're actually just being a vampire who enjoys creativity through other people's efforts ny4 Music should not be about consumption but about coming together as people and creating something real, not isolating yourself with headphones etc. etc.

So no, I resent all that "it was better in my day" crap because it can be extended into the past forever oprah11 

And if artists are seriously upset that people are listening to their stuff without their consent then maybe they should just make music for themselves instead of trying to control the process of the audience's response ari1 It's a different thing with hacking and leaking, but come on. In a way you can use your own argumentation and prove that it's artists who are too entitled these days, because they think their music is something they own and can then control, which in itself is a betrayal of all that being creative should mean brit1

7 minutes ago, Sheezus said:

Trump, we already have a wall here rip3

You must do really well in high school nat2

3 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

You must do really well in high school nat2

Haha. Actually yes, I do rav2

2 minutes ago, Sheezus said:

Haha. Actually yes, I do rav2

Then it's kind of odd you can't understand that some topics demand a piece of writing that is longer than two sentences jj2 If it was just a random joke, ok, but I put a lot of thought and good arguments in that "wall" so it's a bit insensitive imo and I don't get why you'd go beyond thinking that and actually post it too like that annoying remark is somehow more meaningful and important than what I was saying julia1

I love getting vinyl and cds, but there hardly has been a case that I got one without listening to the album beforehand or if I haven't listened to it, I'd make sure it was on sale first. 

Music is expensive, while of course I want to support my favorite artists, that doesn't mean I'm going to throw all my pocket money at them. They're already established, and they're already getting paid through numerous media. Watching their videos, streaming them, even something as little as sharing their tweet is still supporting them. I don't really get why people are so against piracy? You do realize that uploading anyone else's work in any shape or form is piracy, so should exclusive tracks, mashups, remixes, edits etc all be removed? Piracy gives you the option to listen to the music, which is probably an artist's ultimate goal. Then you can imagine that after piracy, people will either delete the music from their library, keep it, or get into the artist and start supporting them by buying the music or in different ways! It's not all bad.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand that artists should be getting their cut, but I'm not going to be sad about the rich not getting richer when I have my own expenses like education, food and health. dead4

21 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

I can easily use that same logic against you tho moo5

I'm sure previous generations are now thinking while they're rotting in their graves about how silly it is for people to enjoy music through a music installation or mechnically enhanced music performance, music is all about real, physical instruments doing their thing with natural acoustics, it's supposed to be an intimate and spontaneous encounter and the very idea of recording something like that is the sign of the new generation feeling entitled to enjoying music the way they want instead of respecting the musicians blah blah blah ayumi1 If you truly wished things existed more in our "three dimensional reality" then maybe you should just make music yourself with whatever instruments, real or improvised, you have around you instead of relying on other artists for your own creative fulfillment, you're actually just being a vampire who enjoys creativity through other people's efforts ny4 Music should not be about consumption but about coming together as people and creating something real, not isolating yourself with headphones etc. etc.

So no, I resent all that "it was better in my day" crap because it can be extended into the past forever oprah11 

And if artists are seriously upset that people are listening to their stuff without their consent then maybe they should just make music for themselves instead of trying to control the process of the audience's response ari1 It's a different thing with hacking and leaking, but come on. In a way you can use your own argumentation and prove that it's artists who are too entitled these days, because they think their music is something they own and can then control, which in itself is a betrayal of all that being creative should mean brit1

You keep talking about how my arguments are invalid because music is about 'coming together' yet what are people doing when they download? That is consuming. You're attacking me for supporting the business, yet are doing exactly what I am with the music but illegally? I'm confused about your double standards between buying the music being consumerism yet taking it for free is revelling in the experience...

You come in with these arguments every so often that are just riddled with hypocrisy no one can really say anything back because you have several different implications- 'music is an experience for all and artists have no ownership of it', 'illegal downloading is for the people', 'selling your work is greedy', 'music should be a celebration of creativity'. So what is it?

'they think their music is something they own' Literally what? That is such a confused sentence. Their music is theirs to own. It's their art. No one would argue a painter had no rights to the distribution of his work... Well actually one day when we find a way to illegally download Van Gogh's pieces then we will all become entitled to that too.

'you're actually just being a vampire who enjoys creativity through other people's efforts' This has no use with anything I've said. It's literally a pointless attempt to belittle me that has no real retort to what I've argued for. It cheapens everything you've said.

1 minute ago, Kuba said:

Piracy gives you the option to listen to the music, which is probably an artist's ultimate goal. Then you can imagine that after piracy, people will either delete the music from their library, keep it, or get into the artist and start supporting them by buying the music or in different ways! It's not all bad.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand that artists should be getting their cut, but I'm not going to be sad about the rich not getting richer when I have my own expenses like education, food and health. dead4

clap3 Couldn't agree more. It's a little off-putting that people who do it this way are so often painted as greedy or disrespectful, as if it's not greedy or disrespectful to force everyone to spend their hard won money on what are essentially overpriced luxury products katy1 It's a weird dynamic that people who aren't even working in the industry defend people who literally get rich by manipulating audiences (and artists, I might add) that way, because they're not gaining anything substantial themselves... Except a sense of social superiority I guess orangu1 Shows you how good our culture is at somehow convincing us that we deserve to be exploited just to give a tiny amount of people a comfortable lifestyle.

10 minutes ago, Kuba said:

I love getting vinyl and cds, but there hardly has been a case that I got one without listening to the album beforehand or if I haven't listened to it, I'd make sure it was on sale first. 

Music is expensive, while of course I want to support my favorite artists, that doesn't mean I'm going to throw all my pocket money at them. They're already established, and they're already getting paid through numerous media. Watching their videos, streaming them, even something as little as sharing their tweet is still supporting them. I don't really get why people are so against piracy? You do realize that uploading anyone else's work in any shape or form is piracy, so should exclusive tracks, mashups, remixes, edits etc all be removed? Piracy gives you the option to listen to the music, which is probably an artist's ultimate goal. Then you can imagine that after piracy, people will either delete the music from their library, keep it, or get into the artist and start supporting them by buying the music or in different ways! It's not all bad.

2 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

clap3 Couldn't agree more. It's a little off-putting that people who do it this way are so often painted as greedy or disrespectful, as if it's not greedy or disrespectful to force everyone to spend their hard won money on what are essentially overpriced luxury products katy1 It's a weird dynamic that people who aren't even working in the industry defend people who literally get rich by manipulating audiences (and artists, I might add) that way, because they're not gaining anything substantial themselves... Except a sense of social superiority I guess orangu1 Shows you how good our culture is at somehow convincing us that we deserve to be exploited just to give a tiny amount of people a comfortable lifestyle.

You're just finding excuses to make yourself feel better about stealing music 

15 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Then it's kind of odd you can't understand that some topics demand a piece of writing that is longer than two sentences jj2 If it was just a random joke, ok, but I put a lot of thought and good arguments in that "wall" so it's a bit insensitive imo and I don't get why you'd go beyond thinking that and actually post it too like that annoying remark is somehow more meaningful and important than what I was saying julia1

Sorry, I see how that was rude of me dead2

2 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

You missed the entire point of that reply. I have nothing against you, I just said that I can use your own logic against you, that doesn't mean I was writing my own opinions rih1 Like I said: I don't like your logic because it's super relative, you can project it back onto a further past until literally everything we do in our daily lives is somehow inauthentic or morally imperfect. I don't want to follow that logic for that reason, it just leads nowhere imo.

4 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

'they think their music is something they own' Literally what? That is such a confused sentence. Their music is theirs to own. It's their art. No one would argue a painter had no rights to the distribution of his work... Well actually one day when we find a way to illegally download Van Gogh's pieces then we will all become entitled to that too.

Well I think that's the perfect example of an opinion that would only be possible in the modern West lmao, shows you how opinions about art are so rooted in specific time periods. There was a time when artists just made stuff and showed it to who cared and that's it wat1 The idea of distributing your work already needs the idea of art reproduction, and that is a very recent phenomenon. I get that that's more off-topic, but I just bring it up to make a point about how it's pretty useless to be nostalgic about a "purer time" when you can go back as far as you please, people have always resisted any little change with what they thought were good reasons, not realizing that everything they're doing and thinking was also resisted by previous generations um2 

I don't have any other opinion I want to push here than that I just wish to consume music my own way, in the way that I see fit, without making generalized assumptions about other people and their supposed inauthentic consumption or enjoyment xtina11 That's what I think you're doing and I think I have good counterarguments for it.

4 minutes ago, Sheezus said:

Sorry, I see how that was rude of me dead2

No worries, I'm sorry for my arrogant and unnecessarily biting response mj1

Just now, Earth Ripper said:

No worries, I'm sorry for my arrogant and unnecessarily biting response mj1

It's understandable bitch mj1