FOTP

Do you revolt against digital music?

Earth Ripper    4,185
14 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

You're just finding excuses to make yourself feel better about stealing music 

The idea of theft needs the idea of possession. It's my belief that artists let go of their possession of a certain work when they decide to release it into the world, from then on it's a free for all wendy2 If someone buys an album and decides to rip it and share it with other people then I don't consider that a breach of rightful ownership, that's like someone buying a cake and serving it at a birthday party. If artists don't like that process then they should come up with a system that forces people to buy their music exclusively and directly from them, which is a kind of authoritarian sentiment that I sure would not appreciate from artists — just go make music for yourself then and don't ask other people to finance your hobby wendy3

Like I said, I buy products I think are worth my money (after buying hundreds of cds, books, dvd's,... that I now think were a waste of money, I might add) I go to plenty of live shows, I'm not gonna be called a thief because I don't throw my money at things that I genuinely don't think are worth the price sia5 I'll throw the ball back at you and call you an arrogant snob for projecting your own desires (you happen to appreciate physical music products, many people don't and you want to force them, because that's totally legitimate) onto everyone else orly1 

Courtney Love    4,170

@Earth Ripper we're obviously not ever going to agree, and I'm actually at work (rip2) plus it's late here in Australia (I work night shifts) so I need to focus my tired attention on that. I leave you free to consume in your own way with no daggers.

Onika    23,389
2 hours ago, Courtney Love said:

Yes for the consumer, because we are essentially going into someone's store and stealing their products with the excuse 'you get enough money elsewhere'. This isn't a healthy nor sustainable approach to something that is not rightfully ours to take.

Pirates have actually been found to purchase up to 10x more media than the average consumer. Additionally, given that 99.999% percent of the money from music sales goes directly to the record label and not the artist, touring and merch are your best bets for actually supporting the artist you like financially.

1 hour ago, Princess Aurora said:

OMG You got the Japanese deluxe edition of Warrior ? scream1 I wanted to buy that one at first but it's too expensive :/ I won't pay 100 dollars for a CD

How 'bout 30? wendy3 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162209618635

Kuba    8,768
15 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

You're just finding excuses to make yourself feel better about stealing music 

Stealing? Mind you, almost every artist I "stole" from and LIKED, got my money in the end. Tell me that 15/30 euro I spend per album isn't enough and I should be buying more just to feel better about supporting an artist dead4

You make it seem like artists would prefer you to buy their music rather than listen to it. They're not getting the full sum you pay them, it's distributed between them and random people you wouldn't even know exist. But by that logic, with the fractions the artists get multiplied by the amount they sold, + a hundred other ways they get money + paid luxuries by their label, they're still getting HUGE piles of money we could probably only dream of. The 15 euro I won't give the artist + label will not starve them sia5

I'm not sorry that rather than throwing my money at anything I could like, I prefer to do my research, see if I really like it and then treat myself to a fancy physical release. 

Princess Aurora    14,176
54 minutes ago, Onika said:

Pirates have actually been found to purchase up to 10x more media than the average consumer. Additionally, given that 99.999% percent of the money from music sales goes directly to the record label and not the artist, touring and merch are your best bets for actually supporting the artist you like financially.

How 'bout 30? wendy3 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162209618635

OMG  scream1fall8fall5fall6

QUINN    19,707

I think it's archaic to say that refusing digital access to music will make your music experience better. I have discovered SO many artists through my Spotify and Apple Music subscriptions, and would be truly miserable if I had to rely on the radio as my main source of music discovery.

The digital age has also made it IMMESURABLY easier for indie artists to get their music out there, and has given a little more freedom back to artists in general, because labels are no longer all powerful when it comes to distribution. People like Chance The Rapper, who does not sell his music physically, are proving that.

i still buy vinyl. My record collection is pretty impressive if I do say so myself. But 90% of the albums that I have purchased over the last 5 years have all been streamed first. And I will continue to stream them because that's the most convenient means of listening to music. But the albums that I truly love and make an impact on me all get added to my physical collection, because I agree that having something tangible that you can collect does add to the fan experience. It does not, however, come even close to matching the impact of digital access, in my opinion. 

Jony    14,914

Not at all. It's just pretty packaging that loses its allure 30 minutes after you get used to it and not to mention how impractical it is. I have a moderate collection of CDs and vinyl and I haven't touched them in ages, they're just taking up space and collecting dust. Spending three seconds to open Spotify and play a song/album works better for me than the faux excitement and attachment to some plastic. But hey if you're into it why not aretha1

Chris Morlock    31,745
On 1/5/2017 at 6:01 AM, Sheezus said:

Sometimes I think I should regret all the duplicates I buy, but I never do kesha4 

I can proudly say I own 6 different physical copies of Kesha's Animal kesha4

id love one of those copies kesha4

Manson    6,945
1 minute ago, Chris Morlock said:

id love one of those copies kesha1

Yes you would kesha1

Tyler    100,617

I still purchase physical albums (and vinyls) of my faves to support them and simply because I enjoy having the physical copy, but I don't even open them anymore since I use Spotify for everything now.