Lachlan

#LachlanREVIEWS - Like a Virgin (1984)

Since this is a relatively short album I was able to listen to it a lot more times in the last few days than other 1 hour+ albums. Heeeeeere we go!

OdHrVSw.png

FULL REVIEW

Hide contents

1. MATERIAL GIRL (5/5)
I will start off by saying, yes, this is one of those albums where most of the singles outshine the album tracks! I tossed up between giving this a song a 4.5 or 5, but ultimately talent wins and I had to slap a 5 on it. It's the first time we really see Madge trying to make a bit of a statement with her lyrics and it's worth it. It's full of cheesy puns about 'spending' and 'interest'. Every hook of this song is as catchy as the next and the outro with the male vocals adds another special touch.

2. ANGEL (3/5)
The first time I listened to this track I was really disappointed; it really just screamed filler despite being the second song in a 10-set tracklist. And tbh that mentality that continued with my next few listens! However, I've come around to enjoy it for some reason that I still can't put my finger on. I think the melodies in the verse come off a bit awkward, kinda like Tove Lo's Timebomb? But I learned to love that too so anyway... On to the next! I hope the Angel stans are nice.

3. LIKE A VIRGIN (5/5)
Ugh this song is so iconic and deservedly so. The melodies/vocals/lyrics are all so instantly recognisable and perfect. Nothing else to say about this gem really - if you're going to appreciate this album for anything at all, let it be the title track.

4. OVER AND OVER (3/5)
I think it's nice to have these positive, sing-a-long, cheesy songs in her discography before she starts pumping out really incredible albums. I love the 'ah ah ah's in the bridge of the song and wish she had implemented more throughout the song's length. If the chorus had more words in it the song could have maybe hit a 4 out of 5 but what can you do!

5. LOVE DON'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE (5/5)
If I could give a higher than perfect score, this song would definitely be deserving. This absolutely blew me away on first listen as I wasn't expecting something so emotional and dramatic on this record; even as a cover. I love the live-band/orchestral instrumentation of the track and her vocals start shining like they hadn't done yet in her career. That final chorus and outro, damn. Literally cannot fault this track... at all. 

6. INTO THE GROOVE (2.5/5)
This kinda sounds like it would've fit better on her debut; thematically it kind of ruins the flow of the album. I just don't know if I needed a dancefloor track in the middle here? If she was gonna do that, it needed to be a 5/5, not just something that was fine, but not great.

7. DRESS YOU UP (3/5)
Queen of sexual innuendos! I'm guessing this is where she started dabbling in a bit of controversy. The instrumental to this track isn't anything special so it's lucky the lyrics widely make up for it. It's also at this point that I realise how similar Madge and Kylie's voices sounded at the beginning of their careers.

8. SHOO-BE-DOO (4/5)
Look, I can see why this song would garner some hate but I really love it. This whole song sounds really 60s, especially in the melodies and background vocals. I can imagine some girl-group smashing this out. The saxophone break elevates the song even further.

9. PRETENDER (3.5/5)
There's a few moments in this track that are special and I really enjoy; especially around the 2:45 onwards mark when the 'I know all about your kind' line is delivered in a darker register than the rest of the song and the following backing vocals. It's little details like that bump it over the mid-way mark in terms of scoring.

10. STAY (2.5/5)
This is probably something of a filler but everytime that chorus hits I can't help by sing-a-long. It's soooo damn catchy. On the other hand, I can't help but think this could've worked a bit better as a soaring power ballad; despite that position on the album already being taken by the wonderful Love Don't Live Here Anymore.

OVERALL - 73 on Lachlancritic

1 minute ago, Li'l Sebastian said:

Wait why is ITG lowest rated song on the album? rip2 Are you sure that you have remastered version? orangu1

Yeah I do have the remastered version. I just think that in the context of the album it doesn't really work - hence why it wasn't included on the first editions. It kind of suffers the same fate as Everybody for me. wendy1

Reading this review was like a flashback to the time that i've never witnessed, it's really essential 80s album, it's not perfect, it's not amazing but it's so iconic and revolutionary cry2 i know that if i experienced it that i would've loved every single song, pop music was still very new at the time so imagine how BIG and ICONIC each song sounded at the time fall3

1 minute ago, Lachlan said:

Yeah I do have the remastered version. I just think that in the context of the album it doesn't really work - hence why it wasn't included on the first editions. It kind of suffers the same fate as Everybody for me. wendy1

It was actually recorded after album was already released, it was soundtrack single that was later added sia2

2 minutes ago, Li'l Sebastian said:

Reading this review was like a flashback to the time that i've never witnessed, it's really essential 80s album, it's not perfect, it's not amazing but it's so iconic and revolutionary cry2 i know that if i experienced it that i would've loved every single song, pop music was still very new at the time so imagine how BIG and ICONIC each song sounded at the time fall3

I can see where that mentality would come from. Like a Virgin and Material Girl would've been huge songs at the time. giveup1 I'm mad she didn't make LDLHA a single. giveup1

1 minute ago, Lachlan said:

I can see where that mentality would come from. Like a Virgin and Material Girl would've been huge songs at the time. giveup1 I'm mad she didn't make LDLHA a single. giveup1

Actually t was released in Japan I think, and later remixed version was supposed to be released as single in 1996 from Something to Remember, and she filmed video during Evita but suddenly release was canceled

3 minutes ago, Li'l Sebastian said:

Actually t was released in Japan I think, and later remixed version was supposed to be released as single in 1996 from Something to Remember, and she filmed video during Evita but suddenly release was canceled

Omg this mix of the song is so nice. giveup1 Ray of Light meets Like a Virgin. giveup1

1 minute ago, LanaxGaga said:

Into the groove is vastly overrated among Madonna fans so the score is fair wub1

I love when the voice of reason appears!

4 minutes ago, Li'l Sebastian said:

Don't forget to check Crazy for You and Gambler sia1 they belong to this era and were released after LAV and MG

Yeah I've been listening to them a few times over the past day. I really love Crazy for You. Gambler is a bit throwaway.

Just now, Lachlan said:

Yeah I've been listening to them a few times over the past day. I really love Crazy for You. Gambler is a bit throwaway.

Gambler is so underrated cry4 i love how energetic it is and electronicrock ( rip2  ) feel

CFY is essential 80s prom ballad cry4

I'm super surprised this got better score than her self-titled wub1 But I agree, even if LAV isn't that strong in 2017 standars, it really was an amazing album back then! I would've given Into The Groove and Dress You Up a better score though. ahs1 

Now I'm perched for True Blue! It's my favorite 80s album so don't disappoint me lol1 

2 minutes ago, Saiga said:

I'm super surprised this got better score than her self-titled wub1 But I agree, even if LAV isn't that strong in 2017 standars, it really was an amazing album back then! I would've given Into The Groove and Dress You Up a better score though. ahs1 

Now I'm perched for True Blue! It's my favorite 80s album so don't disappoint me lol1 

I was surprised when I calculated it as well. I think LAV has higher-highs though. jj2 The Into the Groove stanning in here. rip2

And we'll see! lol1 I have a feeling I'll be upsetting people either way.

Just now, Hylia said:

How did this score above a 10?

Much like I clearly unsettled Hylia!