WarrenThanksYouAll

MMA Fighters Hit Back at Meryl Streep Following Golden Globes Jab

Meryl Streep’s pedantic jab at football and MMA fans during her now infamous Golden Globes anti-Trump tirade on Sunday did not only confirm her status as a member of the out-of-touch Hollywood elite, but also annoyed a few people along the way. And now they’re hitting back.

Streep, who received the honorary Cecil B. DeMille Golden Globe for lifetime achievement, used her acceptance speech to take a swipe at Trump’s anti-immigration rhetoric, claiming that high culture was under threat:

“Hollywood is crawling with foreigners and if you kick them all out all you have to watch is football and Mixed Martial Arts,” she opined.

“And those,” she continued, “are not arts.”

Her words not only seemed to imply that MMA and football were lowbrow forms of entertainment for paupers, but that these sports were also less inclusive of foreigners than the Seventh Art.

Aggrieved, several fighters and mixed martial arts supporters took to Twitter to voice their opinions on Streep’s comments. Many pointed to the double standard in her speech, which called on Americans to rise above hatred and intolerance yet casually dissed an entire class of sports and their fans.

UFC Host Megan Olivi wrote: “Really weird to see someone talk about not discriminating then basically discriminate against an entire group of skilled, hard working ppl.”

Others reminded her that numerous Ultimate Fighting Championship’s titleholders hail from many parts of the world, with champions Jose Aldo, Conor McGregor, Amanda Nunes or MMA superstar Ronda Rousey all having roots outside the country.

View image on Twitter

With all due respect to #MerylStreep... MMA may not be the "arts" but then again, neither was "Ricki and the Flash." #GoldenGlobes

screen-shot-2017-01-10-at-5-50-43-am-e14

http://heatst.com/entertainment/mma-fighters-hit-back-at-meryl-streep-following-golden-globes-jab/

Where's Conor's left hand & Ronda's arm bars when you need them tbh

20 minutes ago, Jae said:

Pathetic? Really??

For insulting MMA.. moo3

UFC Host Megan Olivi wrote: “Really weird to see someone talk about not discriminating then basically discriminate against an entire group of skilled, hard working ppl.

It's a stupid comment on her behalf, she ended up sounding like your typical Hollywood pretentious bimbo which is ironic considering the speech she gave.

5 minutes ago, Jjang said:

UFC Host Megan Olivi wrote: “Really weird to see someone talk about not discriminating then basically discriminate against an entire group of skilled, hard working ppl.

It's a stupid comment on her behalf, she ended up sounding like your typical Hollywood pretentious bimbo which is ironic considering the speech she gave.

She took a little jab at them I would hardly call it discriminating... it really just wasn't that deep 

12 minutes ago, Jjang said:

As if that's not a vague, untrue and cynical statement to make. Don't get why this boring dinner table argument is getting so much praise. 

dead2

I happen to agree with OP, that her speech was a pile of horseshit, and that it shows why Trump won the Presidency. When one half of America is told by the other half that it is stupid and ignorant for eight years, eventually it isn't going to give a fuck anymore and bite back. I think her comment, and the entire premise that Donald Trump is going to shut down Hollywood is quite possibly the most stupid thing to be said since the election. 

That doesn't make my dinner table argument any less true though dead2

Just now, Jae said:

She took a little jab at them I would hardly call it discriminating... it really just wasn't that deep 

Oh please, her tone and body language (and as a professional actress / performer I doubt she'd wrongly use them) mocked the idea that MMA is an art, if a high profile MMA public figure said the same thing about performance arts you and the rest of the forum would surely have something to say about it.

8 minutes ago, Mom said:

dead2

I happen to agree with OP, that her speech was a pile of horseshit, and that it shows why Trump won the Presidency. When one half of America is told by the other half that it is stupid and ignorant for eight years, eventually it isn't going to give a fuck anymore and bite back. I think her comment, and the entire premise that Donald Trump is going to shut down Hollywood is quite possibly the most stupid thing to be said since the election. 

That doesn't make my dinner table argument any less true though dead2

But this whole "America is divided in half" sentiment is just a boring and untrue concept, something an idiot like Gaga would say. That's not why America looks the way it looks nowadays and that's not why Trump won smh

Just now, Jjang said:

But this whole "America is divided in half" sentiment is just a boring and untrue concept, something an idiot like Gaga would say. That's not why America looks the way it looks nowadays and that's not why Trump won smh

We can agree to disagree dead2

6 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Oh please, her tone and body language (and as a professional actress / performer I doubt she'd wrongly use them) mocked the idea that MMA is an art, if a high profile MMA public figure said the same thing about performance arts you and the rest of the forum would surely have something to say about it.

I can assure you I wouldn't care if two overpriviledged people on two over privileged professions said something negative about each other. Both successful actors and MMA fighters make a shit ton of money in their respective careers, she wasn't making fun of someone under privileged so ehhhh 

11 minutes ago, Jjang said:

But MMA isn't art. That's not news. xtina11 

1 minute ago, Jjang said:

But she didn't attack successful MMA fighters, she attacked the sport. rip4

But she didn't. She just said it wasn't an art which I'm sure she meant in comparison to acting, singing, dancing etc. It was a snobby ignorant thing to say but again it just wasn't that big a deal.