SeekingThrill

What was she thinking?

I like that album tbh. It's not nearly as trend hoppingly desperate as MDNA or RH were and it had some impressive production in places, esp. in the songs' structures and often long and unusual outro's (at least for Madonna), I do think it's a nice addition to her discography tbh oprah11 And it has several standouts that actually belong on a Madonna greatest hits album, which I can't say about the last two records.

But yes, more than Confessions this was really the major start of her "let's just be basic, I don't wanna put anymore real effort into my music" decline aretha1

3 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

I like that album tbh. It's not nearly as trend hoppingly desperate as MDNA or RH were and it had some impressive production in places, esp. in the songs' structures and often long and unusual outro's (at least for Madonna), I do think it's a nice addition to her discography tbh oprah11 And it has several standouts that actually belong on a Madonna greatest hits album, which I can't say about the last two records.

But yes, more than Confessions this was really the major start of her "let's just be basic, I don't wanna put anymore real effort into my music" decline aretha1

He's talking about album cover. oprah11

Just now, Li'l Sebastian said:

He's talking about album cover. oprah11

I re-read the OP after @John Wayne's post and yeah, I just realized that, though he did make a similar remark about the whole era I guess dead7

I love the cover, I get why some people think it's ugly, but provocation was the entire point of it, so I think it was successful in what it set up to do and I like the aesthetic of it too tbh, it's something I would do too gaga12 I just don't like the fake looking tits but that's all the negative I can say about it. I liked her sportsy fashion vibe for that era and how it carried into the Sticky & Sweet Tour and I think it was a very clearly thought out look that totally had her stamp of perfectionism on it actually katy1 She always liked clothing that was both feminine and powerful and I think the look she chose for the cover exemplifies that perfectly.

1 minute ago, Earth Ripper said:

I re-read the OP after @John Wayne's post and yeah, I just realized that, though he did make a similar remark about the whole era I guess dead7

I love the cover, I get why some people think it's ugly, but provocation was the entire point of it, so I think it was successful in what it set up to do and I like the aesthetic of it too tbh, it's something I would do too gaga12 I just don't like the fake looking tits but that's all the negative I can say about it. I liked her sportsy fashion vibe for that era and how it carried into the Sticky & Sweet Tour and I think it was a very clearly thought out look that totally had her stamp of perfectionism on it actually katy1 She always liked clothing that was both feminine and powerful and I think the look she chose for the cover exemplifies that perfectly.

I also have nothing against the cover, it's not really beautiful but it's kinda striking (booklet is disgusting tho jj2 ). I have problem with her look during whole era actually. She simply looked terrible and unacceptable for such a big star who apparently cares about everything. 

Album is also quite good, i have nothing against it, that hate bandwagon is nothing but a bandwagon.

I think the album suffered so much because she couldnt give it her full attention.

I do think she loved G.U.Y. Ratchie and was doing everything she could to save her marriage. You can hear it in some lyrics and even see it in the show (one of if not her tamest show when it comes to controversial content). She was making compromises and not putting her all into the album and its promotion and imagery was one of them.

Here is the problem:

The album was originally going to have a strong boxing theme and was originally titled "Give It 2 Me". The title was changed because Timbaland already had a song with that title and she wanted to avoid confusion.

She then favored the song Candy Shop to be the centerpiece of the record but instead of doing a whole bother shoot they simply thought of ways to tie in the candy theme with the boxing theme and this mess of a cover is the result. mad5 Beyond embarrassing.

Personally, I still think "Jawbreaker" would have been a cute title, especially cause it doesn't need the additional candy theme assigned to it but oh well...M didn't think of that.

The best thing about this era is that they kept M from releasing Candy Flop as the lead single or any single at all but her pettiness and lack of interest for this era was the result. Too bad. Devil, Beat Goes On, Heartbeat and probably even She's Not Me could have been good singles.

16 minutes ago, Salvatore said:

The album was originally going to have a strong boxing theme and was originally titled "Give It 2 Me". The title was changed because Timbaland already had a song with that title and she wanted to avoid confusion.

She then favored the song Candy Shop to be the centerpiece of the record but instead of doing a whole bother shoot they simply thought of ways to tie in the candy theme with the boxing theme and this mess of a cover is the result. mad5 Beyond embarrassing.

Madonna had initially decided to portray herself as the Black Madonna for the cover art, and call it the same, but later felt the idea may have been seen as controversial. She instead named the album "Hard Candy", which refers to the juxtaposition of toughness and sweetness. 

aura1 this was the first idea aura1 before Give It 2 Me

8 minutes ago, John Wayne said:

Madonna had initially decided to portray herself as the Black Madonna for the cover art, and call it the same, but later felt the idea may have been seen as controversial. She instead named the album "Hard Candy", which refers to the juxtaposition of toughness and sweetness. 

aura1 this was the first idea aura1 before Give It 2 Me

All three of them absolutely shitty ideas. aura1 Like, I said..."Jawbreaker" would have been perfect. It baffles me that it never crossed her mind.

8 minutes ago, John Wayne said:

Black Madonna sounds fun, but I don't think it would've fit the style of the era aura1

Sis, she said she was gonna wear blackface originally and the title was only chosen because the album was more hip-hop/RnB/funk. aura1 It's lowkey racist.