Hermione

Taylor Swift's Spineless Feminism

35 minutes ago, Nuclear Chicken said:

Horrible, slandering, ignorant article. The writer, like many people, lives under the delusion that celebrities are required to be open about their political opinions. 

It's pretty clear that Taylor Swift does not want to alienate anyone in her fanbase with politics, and I respect that. She's a superstar and she wants to reach a wide audience. 

It's kind of odd that in this day and age, pop stars need to tweet about how much they hate the president in order to avoid being attacked....

Thing is, Taylor is already open about her "political opinions," which makes her lack of recent involvement even more unsettling. Nobody here is thinking ill of her because she doesn't tweet "i h8 tRuMp111!!" everyday, we're just pointing out how she'll only use feminist arguments to directly benefit herself rather than actually consider them with the gravity they deserve. 

55 minutes ago, Kuba said:

Thing is, Taylor is already open about her "political opinions," which makes her lack of recent involvement even more unsettling. Nobody here is thinking ill of her because she doesn't tweet "i h8 tRuMp111!!" everyday, we're just pointing out how she'll only use feminist arguments to directly benefit herself rather than actually consider them with the gravity they deserve. 

I wouldn't be surprised if her management/label told her to shut up or not get involved. Her silence may not be her doing...

I have an issue with the way she goes about social issues in general. She only speaks up when it benefits her or gains her something. It's great that she at least tweeted, but going based on the way she's been so forward about feminism in the past, you think she'd attend or at the very least have spoken out against the misogynistic Trump. She needs to grow a fucking spine and either speak about pressing social issues outside the small bubble that affects and will benefit her, or just keep her mouth shut.

It's silly to bully celebrities into involving themselves in politics. Taylor hasn't directly involved herself since 2008 when Obama won and I don't see why she has to now if she chose not to. Before she tweeted the support for the Women's March she was bullied for not tweeting and acknowledging it, and after she tweeted it she was bullied for tweeting it. "Anyone could tweet," some argued. Yet everyone attacked her for not tweeting about Kesha and wouldn't stop even after it was revealed that she had supported Kesha and her family through other means off camera.

And then she was attacked for not showing her support for Hillary despite her feminism. It's funny because this is one of the reasons why many people didn't take Hillary seriously - because a lot of people made it seem like she was only about women's rights. People, including many celebrities, lost their sight in this and forgot that they were electing someone to lead the most powerful and influential country in the world. They forgot that while women's rights are important, it's not everything. There are many other things to take into account and people forgot that. And if Taylor happen to disagree with Hillary's other stances and chose not to publicly endorse her, it shouldn't have bene a problem. But it's Taylor, so of course it was. Because her tweet would have totally and single-handedly changed the results of the elections.

Yes, she has, admittedly and definitely, misused feminism quite a few times (which many people are guilty of; including some of you) and very often spoke louder than she should have, but I honestly find it rather funny that people are attacking and criticizing her, and specifically her, for not marching when there are many other female celebrities who have identified themselves as a feminist (and yes, for some of these celebrities feminism is a major part of their brand too, and yes, some of them are currently bigger than Taylor) who were noticeably absent on the march too. And a lot of them didn't even bother to acknowledge it, something that Taylor did. But hey, it's Taylor, so it's obviously a problem, right? Not that I'm encouraging anyone to criticize these celebrities, because it's stupid to. Not being on the march does not make you any less of a feminist. Yes, it's good to directly participate and I encourage people to, but attacking people and celebrities who chose not to or are not able to march is honestly stupid. Out with the holier-than-thou attitude. 

You know what I find funny the most though? It's that we're all always so busy turning against each other while everything else crashes and burn. And people wonder how Trump won.

Someone is pressed, as usual wendy2

Sistren, she hasn't been that vocal about feminism as much as you think she was. It was a couple of interviews, nothing more, and in those she basically just said that she is a feminist and that she understand what it actually means. She didn't bring that argument up every day, she didn't tweet about it everyday, she simply said that she's a feminist and that she thinks that feminism is a great thing. Taylor has never been a really vocal person unless it's in her songs, and even there, only she knows all the people she's writing about, many of her subjects are just fan theories.

The thing with Nicki was bullshit and y'all know it. Nicki threw a tantrum for not being nominated and everything started from there. It's stupid to say that she said to Nicki that women shouldn't fight after she released Bad Blood, because Bad Blood was about someone who wronged her and could have damaged her career. I bet that nobody from y'all would fight back at someone because you are all little angels, isn't that right? hug1 Wait... maybe we should check NHB... wendy1

Anyways, carry on with the delightful witch hunt discussion! jj2 

4 hours ago, Scarlett O'Hara said:

Sis Nicki changed the damn argument like three times.

First she was simply pressed about getting a nom, then she decided it was about skinny girls being favoured by the media (by that point it was clear she was talking about Taylor considering the only other nominated women in that category were Taylor and Bey, that was when she made her tweet to Nicki), THEN she made it about racism in the media which everyone suddenly ate up.

It's not that Nicki wasnt idiotic about it either (honestly that "feud" was Demi-level stupid) it's just that Taylor saying "women shouldnt fight each other" was super hypocritic when her current era at the moment was literally based on her choosing to be a petty bitch

Taylor only cares about herself, like it's pretty obvious she just wanted to expand her audience with the whole 'I'm a feminist' sthick 

she's not a feminist, she's a manipulative narcissist

still like her music though

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taylor has nothing to say about women losing their rights under the current administration because she will not be impacted by any of those losses. She's rich and white enough to work around systemati

If she didn't want to get "that involved" in it, she wouldn't have spent her entire last era shaming and calling people out for their "anti feminist" words or actions against her.

Thing is, Taylor is already open about her "political opinions," which makes her lack of recent involvement even more unsettling. Nobody here is thinking ill of her because she doesn't tweet "i h8 tRu

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.