Lachlan

#LachlanREVIEWS - Bedtime Stories (1994)

Grab a coffee and a warm blanket because it's time to read a bedtime review.

SRWGGx5.jpg

Spoiler

1. SURVIVAL (4/5)
I really disregarding this track at first because it didn't seem to pack the same punch as previous openers such as Like a Prayer, Erotica and Papa Don't Preach; and while that statement still stands, I definitely came to enjoy this song. Lyrically, the self-referential lyrics work and I like the fact that it's the shortest song on the album as it feels like more of an introduction than anything else.

2. SECRET (4/5)
The issue I have with this song is that I really like it for two thirds of it's length; but then she just repeats the same chorus and string of sentences and it kind of dilutes my love for the track as a whole. However, the folksy intro, the strings that appear throughout the song, and those upper harmonies towards the end of the song still cement this song as a solid 4/5.

3. I'D RATHER BE YOUR LOVER (4/5)
I think it's a good time to just point out how much I love the general sound of this album. It's definitely very 90s, but has more of a timeless quality to it than her previous works. It also really reminds me of Kylie Minogue '94 which can't be a bad thing considering that album is stunning. The quick rap break is not totally necessary but I think it still works. The hooks in here are immediate and memorable.

4. DON'T STOP (3/5)
Definitely the lowest point of the album in a lot of senses. Lyrically, it's uninteresting and doesn't add anything to the stories she shares on the album. Sonically, it also doesn't add too much except for a little more of a dance/disco vibe in some of the synths. I don't hate it, it's just disappointing in the midst of an album like this and a tad repetitive.

5. INSIDE OF ME (4.5/5)
I love Madge's breathy tones so I immediately loved this song. Every part of this song flows so effortlessly into the next; leaving you with this very warm, intimate feeling. The snippets of saxophone that sound throughout the song really throwback to Erotica which is a nice connection.

6. HUMAN NATURE (5/5)
I usually don't talk about the music videos in these reviews but wow, the videos for this song and Bedtime Stories are excellent. I really love how many times Madonna refers to her own music in lyrics; with this being a nod back to Express Yourself. This song kind of epitomises the sound of the album and does it fantastically. The whispered ad-libs throughout the track are so good and aid in making this such a kick-ass, fuck-you track.

7. FORBIDDEN LOVE (5/5)
Far out I've never seen anyone talk about this track but it's so brilliant. The whispering from Babyface in the background almost sounds like part of the instrumental which is really wicked. The melodies in the chorus are divine. Everything about this song is just perfect, making it one of my favourite songs from Madge's 90s output. That extended note at 2:40 followed by the dramatic strings gives me goosebumps on every listen.

8. LOVE TRIED TO WELCOME ME (5/5)
Why do her ballads which long-ass song titles always seem to be her best? Contrary to the rest of the album, the verses of this track are actually better than the chorus. Then again, that doesn't really say much because both parts are amazing. While I do love Madonna's dance anthems and cheesy 80s bops; she really does moody and sombre the best. The Latin guitars are also a really perfect touch throughout the song.

9. SANCTUARY (5/5)
God, I love this song. The fact that it transitions into Bedtime Stories makes it even better as it kind of feels like a 10-minute long trance. Melodies and vocals on point once again, and the little excerpts of guitar add another subtle dimension to the song. I cannot get enough of that segue into the next song.

10. BEDTIME STORY (5/5)
The definition of the atmospheric pop music gif. The Björk influence in this is undeniable, and I'm so thankful that a hybrid between the two lies somewhere in her discography. The message of the song is really similar to Sweet, Sweet Intuition. This track is just incredible and there's nothing more to say.

11. TAKE A BOW (5/5)
Although I would have been really content with ending this album on the double-whammy of the previous two tracks; this does make for a fitting and stunning closer. The orchestration throughout is really perfect and works effortlessly with her vocals as they weave high and low. The male backing harmonies are a perfect touch I would never have thought to include. Guess that's why I don't make music.

OVERALL - 90 on Lachlancritic

---

ALBUM RANKING SO FAR
Bedtime Stories / Erotica - 90
Like a Prayer - 88
True Blue - 79
Madonna - 75
Like a Virgin - 74

1 minute ago, Vertigo-go said:

Don't Stop is always on those playlists of songs you gotta hear when you don't want to do anything much, so you add non-substance lounge tracks bey4

The thing is I really like for the first verse and chorus but it's just so, so repetitive. jj4 I wish she played more on those disco-ish strings.

Just now, Lachlan said:

The thing is I really like for the first verse and chorus but it's just so, so repetitive. jj4 I wish she played more on those disco-ish strings.

Also can you see my PM about the post in Kylie section titled 2016 worst year, because powerful enemies are after me anna1

1 minute ago, Saiga said:

I LOVE YOUR REVIEW BUT SECRET IS DEFINETELY AMAZING meg1 

Also check the real version of I'd Rather Be Your Lover that feats 2pac sia2 

The Secret stans are shaken. sia2

Yes I read about the 2Pac scenario. sia2

Just now, Lachlan said:

The Secret stans are shaken. sia2

Yes I read about the 2Pac scenario. sia2

I mean you complain about its being repetitive but so is LAP yet you gave it a 5 sia2 

The guitar solo definetely is the climax of the song imo sia2 

The GHV2/Celebration version is shorter btw sia2 

Just now, Saiga said:

I mean you complain about its being repetitive but so is LAP yet you gave it a 5 sia2 

The guitar solo definetely is the climax of the song imo sia2 

The GHV2/Celebration version is shorter btw sia2 

Yes, but LAP has a climax and it builds upon itself unlike a certain Secret. sia2