Entea

Disney cuts ties with YouTube star PewDiePie over anti-semitic posts

PewDiePie-Felix-Kjellberg-red-carpet-billboard-1548.jpg

Disney’s Maker Studios has severed ties with YouTube star PewDiePie, aka Felix Kjellberg, after he released a series of anti-Semitic posts to his 53 million subscribers.

Kjellberg, a 27-year-old Swede whose YouTube antics secured him multimillion-dollar deals with YouTube and Disney, posted a Jan. 11 video that included two men laughing as they held a banner that read “Death to all Jews." He made a total of nine other videos that made anti-Semitic comments or used Nazi imagery, according to The Wall Street Journal, which first reported on the news.

"Although Felix has created a following by being provocative and irreverent, he clearly went too far in this case and the resulting videos are inappropriate," reads a statement from a Maker spokeswoman. "Maker Studios has made the decision to end our affiliation with him going forward."

Kjellberg is YouTube's top star, with more subscribers than any other home-grown talent on the streaming service. The gamer, known for his goofy videos in which he commentates while playing video games, also was the most high-profile YouTuber in Maker's network of creators. Since Kjellberg signed with the YouTube network in 2012, Maker has helped him expand into new ventures, producing his YouTube Red reality series Scare PewDiePie and launching a gaming-centric digital network called Revelmode. 

This isn't the first time Kjellberg has made some controversial moves on social media. Last summer he was briefly suspended from Twitter over concerns that his account had been hacked. At the time, a source told The Hollywood Reporter that that suspension had been a misunderstanding that resulted from comments he made about ISIS and his use of a graphic Twitter profile picture. 

Kjellberg took to Tumblr to defend his more recent comments. "I was trying to show how crazy the modern world is, specifically some of the services available online," he wrote, continuing, "I think it's important to say something and I want to make one thing clear: I am in no way supporting any kind of hateful attitudes." 

Source: Billboard

Some people don't get Pewd's humor. He says off-color things a lot but he's always sarcastic about it. He's not anti-Semitic or racist or whatever people call him. It's his style of humor but people have sticks up their ass and the SJWs of the world wanna cry RACIST any time anyone makes a JOKE. 

nicki2 

55 minutes ago, Umbreon said:

Some people don't get Pewd's humor. He says off-color things a lot but he's always sarcastic about it. He's not anti-Semitic or racist or whatever people call him. It's his style of humor but people have sticks up their ass and the SJWs of the world wanna cry RACIST any time anyone makes a JOKE. 

nicki2 

It wasn't your average joke, I mean he went online and ordered people, who probs didn't understand, to write "death to all Jews" on their bellies. Honestly he should just stick to gaiming instead of click bait vids dead2

6 minutes ago, Entea said:

It wasn't your average joke, I mean he went online and ordered people, who probs didn't understand, to write "death to all Jews" on their bellies. Honestly he should just stick to gaiming instead of click bait vids dead2

Wait what. dead2 

Haven't actually watched him for a bit. Guess I need to watch that video

15 hours ago, Umbreon said:

nicki2 

Yeah because "death to all Jews" is so funny after not even 100 years after the largest genocides Jews faced. 

I'm sure mit grandparents would laugh about it after they lost their sisters, brothers and parents! Yay!!!