Entea

Nokia 3310 mobile phone resurrected at MWC 2017

Nokia 3310

Nokia's 3310 phone has been relaunched nearly 17 years after its debut.

Many consider the original handset iconic because of its popularity and sturdiness. More than 126 million were produced before it was phased out in 2005. The revamped version will be sold under licence by the Finnish start-up HMD Global, which also unveiled several Nokia-branded Android smartphones.

One expert said it was a "fantastic way" to relaunch Nokia's phone brand. "The 3310 was the first mass-market mobile and there's a massive amount of nostalgia and affection for it," commented Ben Wood from the technology consultancy CCS Insight.

"If HMD had just announced three Android devices they would have barely got a couple of column inches in the press. "So, the 3310 is a very clever move and we expect it will sell in significant volumes."

The announcement was made ahead of the start of the Mobile World Congress tech show in Barcelona. LG, Huawei and Lenovo are among others to have unveiled new devices. Nokia no longer makes phones itself, but manufactures telecoms equipment, Ozo virtual reality cameras, and health kit under the Withings brand.

Specs:

Spoiler

The new 3310 qualifies as a "feature phone" rather than a smartphone as it only provides limited internet facilities. It relies on 2.5G connectivity - which has slower data speeds than 3G or 4G - and is powered by the S30+ operating system, which allows web browsing but has a much smaller range of apps than Android or iOS. Its single camera is also restricted to two megapixels.

However, its advantage over more powerful handsets is its battery life. HMD says the colour-screened phone has up to a month's standby time and delivers more than 22 hours of talk time. It also comes with the modern version of the classic game Snake preinstalled. Its launch price is €49 ($51,75; £41.51).

Source + video: BBC

6 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Seems kinda uselesswat3

You'd be surprised how many older people still prefer button phones. The fact that the 3310 was probably their first mobile phone anyway, a lot will be more inclined to buy it. Besides, like the articles says, it's more to promote their new android phones. "Nokia 3310 returns!" is more headline worthy than something about flopkia returning with another flop range of phones oprah4

7 minutes ago, Kuba said:

You'd be surprised how many older people still prefer button phones. The fact that the 3310 was probably their first mobile phone anyway, a lot will be more inclined to buy it. Besides, like the articles says, it's more to promote their new android phones. "Nokia 3310 returns!" is more headline worthy than something about flopkia returning with another flop range of phones oprah4

I guess so, but all my grandparents have smartphones and times are changing to fast to let a phone of the type stay. 

5 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

I guess so, but all my grandparents have smartphones and times are changing to fast to let a phone of the type stay. 

Phones like that are still being made through, like smartphones didn't completely wipe them off the market. They won't be fully gone for a while, because demand for them still exists.

Nokia isn't planning to take the world by storm again, it's simply a clever method of advertising lol. I can already imagine the amount of memes being made about it. Like their credibility has been tarnished by windows, so they have to make a comeback somehow. The rerelease of their most popular phone changes the image of their future phones! jj2