Brightflower

Madonna vs Contemporaries

So today, me and this person got in a very civilized argument about Janet Jackson versus Madonna. The person(i wont go into gender) says its obvious madonna is more successful, more impactful and more influential than Jackson. At first i mildly disagreed and said thats true but janet was also very influential and still is. They said who has influenced and i said many female singers of today. then they said thats not true because nobody remebers janet OR ANY OF THE ARTIST OF HER TIME.

Im not gonna go into anything after they said that. no, instead i want to see what you guys think. Is it true that madonna was more successful,more iconic and more impactful and more talented than her peers? Because i dont think so. So here ill list a list of her contemporaries, who were on her level in the 80s and 90s

• Michael Jackson
  • Mariah Carey
  • Celine Dion
  • Janet Jackson
  • Prince
  • Whitney Houston 

Every person i listed here is just as talented(or more), impactful and successful as Madonna. What do you guys think?

Madonna left a huge impact. It's not often about talent as in vocal singing. Madonna was able to sell herself, create controversy and her songs are just more remarkable and everyone knows classics of her.

Tbh I'm not even sure if I know any Janet Jackson song. 

As someone from outside the US I have to say that I don't think I could name a single Janet Jackson song whereas basically everyone could name at least a few Madonna songs. M is global and her songs have longevity while JJ seems like she was mostly an American phenomenon.

11 hours ago, Hylia said:

The others didn't release Ray of Light so Madonna wins!

Your right - They didnt. They released The Velvet Rope instead, so go find your wig hat and make sure its stapled to your scalp next time

The great annoyance 22 trying to prove that his RnB faves were more successful/impactful than Madonna?

Why is this not surprising to me? Isn't that the only reason he signed up for? eve1 

Sorry to disappoint you beau but it doesn't fucking matter what you think. THE WORLD agrees that out of all the people you listed Madonna had the biggest impact and longevity. Hell, she even outlasted MJ (in terms of career).

All the artists you listed, were literally gone for good by 2005 whereas Madonna still managed to strive and get multiple hits after that. I'm not talking about local US hits but international hit singles. None of the artists you claim were oh so impactful and successful were able to match M as a touring force.

I mean...what the fuck are you trying to prove here? 

It's must be so hard for you. You chose to hate on the most successful and most impactful female entertainer EVER. No female singer is or will ever be more successful than Madonna, no one. And certainly not the fad and local fave of yours, Mrs. MJ sister. That has-been is as remembered as Paula Abdul, or maybe Paula is more remembered than the other fad thanks to American Idol. Localnet stans keep pushing her as this iconic and highly influential force yet the receipts are never on your side. She was never a force outside of the US, she has no classics, she has no memorable or iconic moments aside from the one that destroyed the career she had in the US. You need to let it go and accept the truth, Localnet is a forgotten has-been from the 80s that absolutely no one, outside of her stans, cares about. 

Mariah, Céline and Whitney are only more talented at singing. Madonna owns them in all the other departments. Prince was more talented, yes. And the pedophile maybe? He lip-synched all the time so I find it hard to respect him as an artist. 

nohxsim0uuka.gif

2 hours ago, Selig said:

It's must be so hard for you. You chose to hate on the most successful and most impactful female entertainer EVER. No female singer is or will ever be more successful than Madonna, no one. And certainly not the fad and local fave of yours, Mrs. MJ sister. That has-been is as remembered as Paula Abdul, or maybe Paula is more remembered than the other fad thanks to American Idol. Localnet stans keep pushing her as this iconic and highly influential force yet the receipts are never on your side. She was never a force outside of the US, she has no classics, she has no memorable or iconic moments aside from the one that destroyed the career she had in the US. You need to let it go and accept the truth, Localnet is a forgotten has-been from the 80s that absolutely no one, outside of her stans, cares about. 

Mariah, Céline and Whitney are only more talented at singing. Madonna owns them in all the other departments. Prince was more talented, yes. And the pedophile maybe? He lip-synched all the time so I find it hard to respect him as an artist. 

nohxsim0uuka.gif

Janet is not local. She has sold more than 66M records outside the US. And she did arena and stadium tours outside the US. Her dance moves, sound and image have influenced a lot of artists worldwide. 

And Michael didn't always lipsync. Saying you can't respect him as an artist is strange. Madonna also lipsync a lot. But you respect her as an artist. And it's understandable, since she did great artistic things. And so did Michael.

6 hours ago, FMKK said:

As someone from outside the US I have to say that I don't think I could name a single Janet Jackson song whereas basically everyone could name at least a few Madonna songs. M is global and her songs have longevity while JJ seems like she was mostly an American phenomenon.

Janet achieved global success. You can't sell as much as she did outside the US with no global hit. And she also had strong touring numbers outside the US.

3 hours ago, Cruella de Vil said:

The great annoyance 22 trying to prove that his RnB faves were more successful/impactful than Madonna?

Why is this not surprising to me? Isn't that the only reason he signed up for? eve1 

Sorry to disappoint you beau but it doesn't fucking matter what you think. THE WORLD agrees that out of all the people you listed Madonna had the biggest impact and longevity. Hell, she even outlasted MJ (in terms of career).

All the artists you listed, were literally gone for good by 2005 whereas Madonna still managed to strive and get multiple hits after that. I'm not talking about local IS hits but international hit singles. None of the artists you claim were oh so impactful and successful were able to match M as a touring force.

I mean...what the fuck are you trying to prove here? 

Comercial success has nothing to do with artistic legacy. So you can let that argument rest in peace. All the artists mentioned have influenced a great deal of artists worldwide. With their respective style and image. They all have left their mark and are legends.

source.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

" its obvious madonna is more successful, more impactful and more influential than Jackson." Correct.

Madonna left a huge impact. It's not often about talent as in vocal singing. Madonna was able to sell herself, create controversy and her songs are just more remarkable and everyone knows classics of

As someone from outside the US I have to say that I don't think I could name a single Janet Jackson song whereas basically everyone could name at least a few Madonna songs. M is global and her songs h

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.