Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Divine

Ariana Grande | Sweetener | August 17, 2018

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

***This is just my opinion and I’m entitled to it, I’m stating it politely so please don’t attack me.***

Honestly I was so disappointed on first listen. I still regularly listen to her first three albums in the car years later, and I don’t see it with this one at all. Some tracks are slowly growing on me but I still think it’s her weakest effort by far. :(

My favorite song on here is still God is a Woman, but I love Everytime too. Breathin is fine, but slightly overrated. I can’t help but think it only stands out because of the rest of the album, and that if it had been on Dangerous Woman people would say it’s just okay. The Light Is Coming, Sweetener, Successful, and Borderline are straight-up bad to me, I really don’t know what she was thinking with those. They would work as mid-00s Gwen Stefani tracks, but not for Ariana. I haven’t read many reviews or comments about it so I don’t know how this stacks up to popular opinion. This reminds me of Reputation, where the reception is mixed at first but it ends up being a grower. I saw someone say it reminds them of Yours Truly, but that’s my favorite album by her and I’m not feeling this one.

@Divine (and other Arianators who won’t jump down my throat) Thoughts on my thoughts?

Tbh I see where you are coming from. When I was first listening to the album, I was super underwhelmed. Only REM stood out from the first half. Once Everytime started, it started to look up from there for me. I feel like people will either LOVE the album or absolutely hate it, which imo is a lot better than everyone just feeling "meh" about it. 

I was actually thinking about Breathin yesterday. Would I be so in love with it if it were on the same album as Into You, Touch It, TBY? Is it just a 10 because the other album deep cuts are pretty middle to lower tier? Maybe, but then again maybe not. It was the song that got me hyped for the album after all and it's SMASHING across all metrics so who honestly knows. The Max and Tommy tracks definitely outshine the Pharrell tracks.

TLIC will always remain bottom of the barrel, literally no one likes it. Stans and locals alike all despise it. Sweetener is cute if you want a cheap bop. Successful sounds like they took Nintendo sound effects and it kinda works for me? Idk I hated it on first listen too but it's starting to grow on me. Borderline is another track that people either love or hate. Personally I feel like so much more could have been done with the song and the feature. It's pretty middle tier for me.

Overall I understand the points you made and kind of agree with some. It's not her strongest album, especially when her catalogue has such strong material. It's an album people will either love or hate, and who knows, it may grow on you so by the time AG5 comes out in 2020 you'll be a Sweetener stan! ari5

Is this where i review as well? creep1

I've given it only one listen because yesterday i was getting ready for an event and today and tomorrow im still very busy. Raindrops was an immediate favorite because her vocals are very strong and she sounds older yet just as fresh and capable as always- despite me hating interludes that are great and open the album. Afterwards, she goes on this trap-influenced pop that is cool, but i feel tries a bit too hard to make her sound relevant yet still shine with her talent and i hate when vocalist squander their talent in order to make a hit. Listening to the album in one sitting, Light is Coming's entire existence makes sense and transitions well within the following songs. However, at first listen, i found the album a bit under what i expected. There was less versatility and wile DW was more soul diva, i feel Ariana was just trying to be the pop star here and i personally dont stan that Ari. And as much as it feels weird, No Tears and GIAW are the only things worth an 9 on the album which sucks as they are the only singles. Anyways, i'll be listening to it consistently next week hopefully and i hope it grows on me and i discover why Breathin' is such a fan fav.

46 minutes ago, Just Whitney said:

and i discover why Breathin' is such a fan fav.

because breathin' is pop perfection, the vocals, catchy chorus, the acapella beginnings to the second and third choruses, the electric guitar bridge serving me Dangerous Woman and Touch It teas, the electrifying synths and overall sound burn1

2 minutes ago, Kuladon said:

Queen putting No Tears after the intro like it should have been on the official release. katy9

i almost wanted to delete everything after the Pete interlude but i dont really wanna rename it to be an EP kesha8 

On 8/28/2018 at 8:26 PM, Chris Morlock said:

i almost wanted to delete everything after the Pete interlude but i dont really wanna rename it to be an EP kesha8 

Don't do "Borderline" like that, I enjoy Missy's orgasms and barking in the background of the song. mess1

6 minutes ago, Chris Morlock said:

her feat. was too short kesha8 

I take anything I can get from Missy. Still waiting for that new album that's +13 years in the making. jj2

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.