Lachlan

#LachlanREVIEWS - Mariah Carey (1990)

nBEaxKo.jpg

1. VISION OF LOVE (5/5)
Really the perfect introduction to Mariah. The intro is moody and adds a little extra oomph to the track, before her voice parts the clouds so we can see Mariah, ha vision of love. I'll admit now; I'm not a huge fan of when she decides to scream over half the song; so it's nice to see her restrain her voice at times throughout. But woo, that note at 3:00 never fails to fuck me up.

2. THERE'S GOT TO BE A WAY (4.5/5)
We love socially conscious legends! Some of the lines in the verses are a little clumsy (looking at you 'regulated bigotry') but all in the name of social justice I guess. The guitars in the chorus are so very late 80s/early 90s and I loooove that whole sound. The chorus of this song is so anthematic, I feel like I need to take an Uber to church and slap my hands together on the pew. Whistle, bitch, whistle!

3. I DON'T WANNA CRY (4/5)
If you know me, you know I'm a sucker for those Latin guitars so I always get drawn in for the first minute of this track. In fact, the verses are definitely the best part of the song. And the way she sings 'I don't wanna cry' at the end of the chorus is so... satisfying for the ears.

4. SOMEDAY (5/5)
As soon as those 'hmmm, uh huh's began I knew we were in for a wild ride. Mariah really shines on this album in the up-tempo tracks. That chorus is so fucking good. Someday, ooh someday! And what is this? Mariah rapping? Well, loosely speaking. Electric guitar too? I'm sold.

5. VANISHING (3.5/5)
I have a feeling a lot of you like Mr Venus XCX will disagree with a score like this, however it just doesn't quite stack up. I do like how sparse the instrumental and lyrics are compared to the rest of the album. It's a nice track; just not Someday (or Prisoner) quality!

6. ALL IN YOUR MIND (3.5/5)
The instrumental to this track sounds straight out of an 80s movie; very True Blue. The chorus of this track so divine. It's quite easy-going for Mariah standards and definitely a nice listen. Probably drags on for a minute too long at the end but eh!

7. ALONE IN LOVE (3/5)
The verses present the same kind of mood that I Don't Wanna Cry sets (minus the guitars), which is nice. I just wish the rest of the song was just as great as the last minute because those vocal harmonies are to die for.

8. YOU NEED ME (5/5)
What a fucking song. Guitars and Mariah with a vengeance; everything about this song is so perfect. The melodies in the verses and pre-chorus are so soul-inspired compared to the sass of the chorus and it just works so well. I hope Mariah gets angry at other points in her discography.

9. SENT FROM UP ABOVE (5/5)
Ugh yes Mariah. Give me disco, give me lounge. That guitar riff that mimics the vocal melody is so good. I'm all about this song and would be my favourite song if the next track didn't exist. Spoiler! Her voice works so well over this type of track.

10. PRISONER (5/5)
The third and final song of the trinity. Did she purposely put all the best songs on the record one after another? WHAT. A. FUCKING. CHORUS. She came, she conquered, she shook me. I literally get chills when this song starts because the melodies are that great. Even the un-credited rap interlude is great.

11. LOVE TAKES TIME (3/5)
Not the most impressive end to a pretty fantastic album but not terrible either. Unfortunately, it's just an inch above being your average Mariah ballad.

OVERALL - 84 on Lachlancritic
A really, really great debut album and will probably remain one of my favourite Mariah albums throughout this journey to Dahling-ville!

HfXr9Vw.gif

8 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

nBEaxKo.jpg

11. LOVE TAKES TIME (3/5)
Not the most impressive end to a pretty fantastic album but not terrible either. Unfortunately, it's just an inch above being your average Mariah ballad.

HfXr9Vw.gif

Bye this song is a masterpiece

HfXr9Vw.gif

Love Takes Time took a good couple of years to grow on me, I hope it does the same to you. Other than that, the up-tempos here truly shine, as you said, Someday and Prisoner are such tunes, love how the latter made her the best-selling female rapper of all-time too. There's Got to Be a Skip Button has too high of a score, the Firework-level lyrics and cheesy production are not the tea and All in Your Mind is all kinds of uninteresting, below a 3 I'd say, and Vanishing is too low, but most of the time it's fair and on point!

Just now, Angelus said:

That's Mariah moo1

Really?

HfXr9Vw.gif

I'm shook.

HfXr9Vw.gif

Just now, Vilppu said:

Love Takes Time took a good couple of years to grow on me, I hope it does the same to you. Other than that, the up-tempos here truly shine, as you said, Someday and Prisoner are such tunes, love how the latter made her the best-selling female rapper of all-time too. There's Got to Be a Skip Button has too high of a score, the Firework-level lyrics and cheesy production are not the tea and All in Your Mind is all kinds of uninteresting, below a 3 I'd say, and Vanishing is too low, but most of the time it's fair and on point!

We shall see about LTT. It's not bad; it just doesn't have anything particularly special about it to me at least. And pease don't compare There's Got to Be a Gospel to that horrid track; we can let some of the cheesy lyrics pass as she makes up for it in pretty much every other aspect.

HfXr9Vw.gif