Selena Gomez is donating to lupus research

Her donation — the Keck School declined to reveal the amount — created the “Selena Gomez Fund for Lupus Research” that will initially support a pilot research program focused on treating complications of the disease.

“I continue to be optimistic about the progress being made in lupus research and am proud to support the promising work at Keck School of Medicine. I am hopeful for the millions of us around the world that may benefit from this,” Gomez said in a statement released by the Keck School.

The research program will be led by Dr. Janos Peti-Peterdi, a professor of physiology and biophysics at the Keck School of Medicine, and “potentially lays the foundation for targeted therapeutic treatment breakthroughs,” according to Keck.

“We are extremely pleased to partner with Selena in her efforts to promote awareness and medical research toward a much-needed cure for lupus,” Peti-Peterdi said. “Complications from systemic lupus cause serious damage, and we are hopeful that our research, with Selena’s support, will help those affected by this disease lead full, healthy lives.”

Source