RihannaRTT

Billboard: Disney Renaissance Songs Ranked

It's 2017, and generations young and old will get to relive a slice of the glory days of the late-20th-century Disney Renaissance, with live-action remakes of '90s classics Aladdin and The Lion King reportedly in the works, and even a non-Disney reboot of The Little Mermaid in the pipeline. But first up is the highly anticipated Beauty and the Beast revival hitting theaters Friday (March 17).

If you're not familiar with the Disney Renaissance, it's the wondrous period from 1989 to 1999 during which the studio created 10 iconic animated films -- in chronological order, The Little Mermaid, The Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan -- thus resulting in some of the most classic Disney songs ever made.

We mostly have the composer and lyricist team of musical masterminds Alan Menken and Howard Ashman to thank for that, with additional contributions to the canon coming from composer/producer Hans Zimmer, as well as legendary musicians Elton John and Phil Collins. Not including the films' scores, there are 45 songs in total from the Renaissance (not counting the super-slight "Court of Miracles" from Hunchback or "Listen With Your Heart" from Pocahontas), though none come from Rescuers, which featured no original songs. In honor of the new Beauty and the Beast coming, the Billboard staff felt it was only right to rank all of these classics.

Take a look at where each song ranks on Billboard's list, and listen to our playlist below to really get you in the zone. Let the Disney debates begin.

Source

10. "Go the Distance," Hercules

tumblr_o9sx84HFiB1tuk9cdo7_r1_540.gif

Similar to Mulan’s struggle in “Reflection,” Hercules has a moment of “I don’t belong” realization before heading on his self-discovery journey – which results in the movie’s most vibrant number. Despite its relatively short running time, the triumphant, trumpet-laced tune can serve as an anthem for anyone who needs a little motivation and feel like every mile is worth their while. – T.W.

9. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," The Lion King

tumblr_o9sx84HFiB1tuk9cdo4_r1_540.gif

“Can You Feel the Love Tonight” is rightly remembered as one of the great love songs of the Disney canon; with its towering chorus and climactic key change, the ballad earns its place as the soundtrack to a scene of greater animal intimacy than most pre-teens watching were prepared to process. But the song’s true brilliance, excised by the unavoidable Elton John version, is that originally, “Tonight” was bookended with laments from Simba’s buddy Timon, who understands that his friend’s new romantic union will undoubtedly weaken their own platonic bond. It gets at the sad truth a less-nuanced song wouldn’t have the guts to express: Every great young love story is also the story of one or multiple sideline casualties. – A.U.

8. "Part of Your World," The Little Mermaid

tumblr_o9sx84HFiB1tuk9cdo1_540.gif

When you’re a mermaid, apparently you don’t get too far just flippin’ your fins. But when you’re singing a song fantasizing over living a life you can’t, it makes for a moment that everyone can relate to. And when the song has impeccable rhymes, backed by a dramatic violins, it becomes one that no one can resist singing along to. Besides, what other songs can successfully incorporate the word “thingamabobs” and make you want to integrate it into your personal vocabulary? – T.W.

7. "Beauty and the Beast," Beauty and the Beast

tumblr_o9sx84HFiB1tuk9cdo2_r1_540.gif

A romance between a massive, wolf-like creature and a dainty brunette villager is one that’s really only imagined in a Disney movie, but when it’s soundtracked by a whimsically beautiful song as old as rhyme, it becomes a tale as old as time. Enough with the lyric play – “Beauty and the Beast” was an instantly dazzling tune from the moment that flute kicked off the romantic ballad. No matter if it’s Angela Lansbury’s Mrs. Potts, Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson, or Ariana Grande and John Legend narrating the classic ballroom scene, the combination of the piano, full orchestra and sweet narrative is one that every generation can swoon over. – T.W.

6. "Colors of the Wind," Pocahontas

tumblr_o9sx84HFiB1tuk9cdo5_r1_540.gif

Pocahontas and John Smith’s complicated love story reached a turning point in Pocahontas with the Native American princess’ wistful number “Colors of the Wind.” While Smith and his fellow settlers were on the hunt for land and riches, Pocahontas put her frustrating romance aside to whip up this artistic PSA to and instead respect nature and wildlife, embracing the diversity around you. – A.P.

5. "I’ll Make a Man Out of You," Mulan

tumblr_o9sx84HFiB1tuk9cdo10_r1_540.gif

After The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King dominated the Disney music scene for the first half of the Renaissance, Donny Osmond's kick-ass training song and Mulan's badass main character made for an unstoppable combination that landed it amongst the greats. If those watching weren’t convinced that Mulan wasn’t capable of being in the army when she set out, this scene provides all the proof necessary that she can keep up with her most masculine of militia mates. And with Osmond offering up intensely fierce vocals on lyrics like “With all the strength of a raging fire / Mysterious as the dark side of the moon" -- especially on the epic power-note finish -- Mulan (and anyone watching, for that matter) surely feels empowered enough to defeat the Huns. – T.W.

4. "Be Our Guest," Beauty and the Beast

A good Disney love song is tough to beat, but when a singing candelabra is involved, it’s hard to not put this fun dinnertime tune up against the greatest of romance records. Lumière’s charming French accent sets the scene for the stunning song, crafting a perfect set-up for the vibrant melody and brilliant verses that are the heart and soul of “Be Our Guest.” Relax, pull up a chair and be the guest of Beauty and the Beast’s most thrilling musical number. Can you really contest choreographed routines by a chorus of spoons, honey pots, plates and feather dusters? The answer is… absolutely not, especially when the finale involves champagne showers and a sparking (dancing spoon-lined) chandelier. – T.W.

3. "Hakuna Matata," The Lion King

Sure, When Harry Met Sally was a thing before The Lion King was, but there may be no better character introduction in recent film history than when Simba meets Timon and Pumba. As a young lion cub that finds himself completely lost in his own family’s kingdom, Simba needed some reassurance that everything was going to be okay. So, a meerkat and a warthog provide that guarantee, with perhaps the most relatable fake phrase ever created. If you first experienced the beloved movie moment as a kid, you probably didn’t notice the same jokes within the lyrics that you would as an adult ("He could clear the savannah after every meal" is likely more relatable as an elder...) – but perhaps that’s what makes this bouncy tune so lovable across all generations. Even after just one take, you’ll be singing this wonderful phrase all the way home, implementing the motto in your life anytime you need to tell yourself “no worries.” Oh, and that transformational log scene during the bridge? Yeah, there’s no way anyone is contesting “Hakuna Matata” as the best Lion King moment. – T.W.

2. "A Whole New World," Aladdin

The only song from the Disney Renaissance to top the Billboard Hot 100, “A Whole New World” goes for the gusto like few love ballads songs in history, having the distinct advantage of being able to offer a magic carpet ride that isn’t even metaphorical. “Don’t you dare close your eyes/ Hold your breath, it gets better,” Aladdin promises in aside, and the music backs him up, a sweeping, gorgeous, up-up-up arrangement of strings and harmonies that reaches the clouds and just keeps soaring. Like any number of Phil Spector songs did for young pop fans of the ‘60s, “A Whole New World” gave ‘90s babies impossibly high expectations for love’s (literal) otherworldliness -- but for then, we were happy just to fly along with Jasmine and Aladdin and dream of our own future journeys to that “wondrous place.” – A.U.

1. "Under the Sea," The Little Mermaid

This bubbly ditty sung by a spunky, red crustacean made underwater life the wave. While the aforementioned Aladdin duet is the G.O.A.T. of romantic Disney ballads, Sebastian’s epic ocean orchestra for The Little Mermaid flooded the ears of fin-less fans and warned that life by land is the ultimate snoozefest. Who’s to argue when the splashy performance not only scored an Oscar for best original song in 1990, but a pair of Grammys in '91, including best song written specifically for a motion picture or for television. “Darling it’s better, down where it’s wetter,” assures Sebastian, whose underwater jam session has kept kids and kidults both swimming and dancing for decades. – A.P.

***Disney .gifs from this Tumblr account***

Full List

Spoiler

45. "A Girl Worth Fighting For," Mulan

44/43. "Savages," Pocahontas / "The Mob Song," Beauty and the Beast

42. "God Help the Outcasts," The Hunchback of Notre Dame

41. "Heaven’s Light/Hellfire," The Hunchback of Notre Dame

40. "Honor to Us All," Mulan

39. "Mine, Mine, Mine," Pocahontas

38. "A Guy Like You," The Hunchback of Notre Dame

37. "The Bells of Notre Dame," The Hunchback of Notre Dame

36. "One Last Hope," Hercules

35. "Two Worlds," Tarzan

34. "Topsy Turvy," Hunchback of Notre Dame

33. "Something There," Beauty and the Beast

32. "Arabian Nights," Aladdin

31. "Son of Man," Tarzan

30. "Out There," The Hunchback of Notre Dame

29. "Prince Ali," Aladdin

28. Poor Unfortunate Souls, The Little Mermaid

27. "Just Around the Riverbend," Pocahontas

26. "Trashin’ the Camp," Tarzan

25. "Zero to Hero," Hercules

24. "One Jump Ahead," Aladdin

23. "Strangers Like Me," Tarzan

22. "True to Your Heart," Mulan

21. "I Won’t Say (I’m in Love)," Hercules

20. "Gaston," Beauty and the Beast

19. "Reflection," Mulan

18. "A Star is Born," Hercules

17. "Circle of Life," The Lion King

16. "Belle," Beauty and the Beast

15. "Be Prepared," The Lion King

14. Friend Like Me, Aladdin

13. "I Just Can’t Wait to Be King," The Lion King

12. "You’ll Be in My Heart," Tarzan

11. "Kiss the Girl," The Little Mermaid

10. "Go the Distance," Hercules

9. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," The Lion King

8. "Part of Your World," The Little Mermaid

7. "Beauty and the Beast," Beauty and the Beast

6. "Colors of the Wind," Pocahontas

5. "I’ll Make a Man Out of You," Mulan

4. "Be Our Guest," Beauty and the Beast

3. "Hakuna Matata," The Lion King

2. "A Whole New World," Aladdin

1. "Under the Sea," The Little Mermaid

I just spent like 20 minutes on this thread so some of y'all better post alex1 

OT: this whole list is triggering me. The predictable #1. AWNW getting robbed. One Jump Ahead higher than Prince Ali. A Girl Worth Fighting For being dead last but including I'll Make a Man Out of You at #5 - if you wanna serve SJW, at least go the full route coz I'm sure "Be a Man" is allegedly 'problematic' or w/e. (IMMAMOY is better but AGWFW didnt deserve last place), Poor Unfortunate souls not even cracking the top 20 (yet somehow A Shit is Born did). The Mob Song being #44 because it frightens small kiddies rip3 Just. God Help the Outcasts being #42 like what the fuck. Bye. Justice for Something There also. Just an all around mess. I could go on. 

Great list... nawt. 

jafar.gif

2 minutes ago, RihannaRTT said:

the fact i did it with 30 songs coz i was too lazy to include the no1currs eve1 

might do the full version this time. 

you should do the major disney films demi1 

9 minutes ago, RihannaRTT said:

the fact i did it with 30 songs coz i was too lazy to include the no1currs eve1 

might do the full version this time. 

but on the plus side, most disney songs are under 3 mins jj3