Jump to content
Jony

Spotify to limit big releases to premium only

Recommended Posts

New details about the new Spotify licensing deal emerge

From the FT:

Quote

Music companies have agreed to trim the royalty fees that Spotify pays for their songs.

In exchange, Spotify would restrict the biggest album releases to its paid tier for a period of time

 

(paywall)

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dreamsssss said:

I'd love the concept of only the singles being available for non-premium, because then singles would make sense again brit0

Yeah I doubt singles will be excluded from freemium, and if they are then labels will have to change it at some point once they start flopping due to less streams tehe1

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a nice and bad move at the same time.

 

The good side is that Spotify may get more premium users, the bad side is that the album streaming number would it be lower than usual as if it was release to every user which will impact on billboard charts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Archie said:

the bad side is that the album streaming number would it be lower than usual as if it was release to every user which will impact on billboard charts.

How is that bad? It will actually reflect the SPS better cause you still have to pay to listen to an album so it will be more fair. Also SPS won't be as huge as they currently are. Of course singles are going to boost albums but there will be no such situation like with Drake's VIEWS from last year rip4

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Urbanov said:

How is that bad? It will actually reflect the SPS better cause you still have to pay to listen to an album so it will be more fair. Also SPS won't be as huge as they currently are. Of course singles are going to boost albums but there will be no such situation like with Drake's VIEWS from last year rip4

Well, most people who dont pay for premium account will remain not paying for it and they will find another way to listen to the album (maybe downloading illegally?), nowadays I think the record label and artists wants people consuming their material, it doesn't matter if it's paying for a premium account or not, they will still receive they royalties in any way since people with free account listens to the advertising and that brings money to spotify.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Archie said:

Well, most people who dont pay for premium account will remain not paying for it and they will find another way to listen to the album (maybe downloading illegally?), nowadays I think the record label and artists wants people consuming their material, it doesn't matter if it's paying for a premium account or not, they will still receive they royalties in any way since people with free account listens to the advertising and that brings money to spotify.

Probably yes, but people were doing it before streaming became a huge thing anyway  moo1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*me with a Spotify premium account reading this*  

I'd love the concept of only the singles being available for non-premium, because then singles would make sense again

It's so good to be a Premium user


  • Browsing now   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×