Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Jasmine

David Bowie

4 minutes ago, Woolridge said:

Before he died, I was hoping that he would go on tour for his album Blackstar but I was skeptical about it because he was already so old. The Next Day is really good by the way. I really like the songs The Next Day, The Stars Are Out Tonight, Love is Lost, Where Are We Now, If You Can See Me, I'd Rather Be High and You Feel So Lonely You Could Die. But it's cool that your mother's friend met David Bowie and Iggy Pop. I assume that it must've been during the time when he was in Berlin? Or was he visiting England again?

Oh it was in Weston-super-Mare, I think they might've been touring? I honestly never got into Berlin era albums much. One day I might, which happens all the time with certain art. You just get into it when you're ready for it. I never liked Low much, and songs like Secret Life of Arabia bored the shit out of me! I can't say I'm only about Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel et al, I like his thoughtful, slower songs, but Berlin was kind of meh to me. Bdw I still haven't heard Who Can I be Now? which is supposed to be a collection of unreleased (?) tracks from pre-Young Americans sessions.

Yes, they added songs from his pre-Young Americans sessions to WCIBN, they made a whole album of it, they even made a cover art and that kind of stuff. Pretty cool. It's called The Gouster, but they also included other songs in WCIBN. I think it's on Spotify too so you should probably check it out.

I personally think that Low is an amazing album because it's so different than everything he made, it's very new and unique. It's definitely in my top three favorite albums made by David Bowie. I can understand that you think it's boring but I can appreciate that album. He made a few of the songs on Low for the movie The Man Who Fell To Earth and they only added one song to the movie, I think he was very angry when that happened because he put so much effort into making that album.

Bdw can we appreciate the sound and production of Scary Monsters Super Creeps?

It's so out of this world to me, I have never heard anything like this, especially that little bridge before the last chorus scream1

I fucking love this song, and I just wish more people knew it and counted it as one of his greatest songs ever. The lyrics and the music are so decadent, it's almost like it was written by Nick Cave. Bowie didn't have many sick songs like this one. Dang, it's amazing!

Oh, and I was just scrolling through Discogs list of his albums to remind me of the titles and what I loved and what I didn't, and Black Tie White Noise is definetely in my top 3 of his albums. I used to listen to the 2CD reissue of it every day for months. Miracle Goodnight is such a lovely song, with that crazy little swirl of melody towards the end. I love love love it! It reminds me of those solo Bryan Ferry songs, like Slave to Love or his cover of I'm in the Mood for Love. Just a really nice, very summer night love song.

On 18-3-2017 at 9:10 PM, Vertigo-go said:

Black Tie White Noise is definetely in my top 3 of his albums. I used to listen to the 2CD reissue of it every day for months. Miracle Goodnight is such a lovely song, with that crazy little swirl of melody towards the end.

Wow, I never really heard someone that really likes Black Tie White Noise that much. I didn't hear all those songs on that album and I only know Jump They Say but that's a pretty good song. Also a very emotional and deep song, if you think about it that it's about his schizophrenic half brother Terry that killed himself after he escaped from an asylum.

1 minute ago, Woolridge said:

Wow, I never really heard someone that really likes Black Tie White Noise that much. I didn't hear all those songs on that album and I only know Jump They Say but that's a pretty good song. Also a very emotional and deep song, if you think about it that it's about his schizophrenic half brother Terry that killed himself after he escaped from an asylum.

I used to be like everybody else when it came to either the 80s career, either "autumn years" of veteran artists, but then I actually listened to damn albums instead of just repeating what others said, and I've realized that a lot of 1980s albums were as good/better than earlier albums. For instance, Lou Reed's New York and New Sensations are great. Bowie wasn't really coherent with quality, so I can't name one album from the 80s or early 90s that was 100% choice, but there were always at least 5 solid songs on all those albums. BTWN was also his first "new" sound which then morphed into Reality and Hours. That sparse, cosmic sound. 

I think before the triumphant comeback just before he passed, his greatest "later years" song was Thursday's Child. Absolutely fantastic. I think he was really fucking gifted when it came to rumination and looking into the past. Never sugary nostalgic. I think he should be an example for us when it comes to being content with your own mortality. He was absoutely unafraid of death, and there are many songs that sound like he was really giving some thought to the subject of death, throughout his career.

15 minutes ago, Vertigo-go said:

His greatest "later years" song was Thursday's Child. Absolutely fantastic. I think he was really fucking gifted when it came to rumination and looking into the past. Never sugary nostalgic. I think he should be an example for us when it comes to being content with your own mortality. He was absoutely unafraid of death, and there are many songs that sound like he was really giving some thought to the subject of death, throughout his career.

Yes, yes, yes. I forgot about that song for awhile but Thursday's Child is absolutely fantastic indeed. One year ago, I bought it for five euro as a CD single at a collectors fair and I listened to it on my old PlayStation, that song was amazing. I also really like the rock version and I think it was also included to the CD single. There was a letter in German about the song too. It's pretty cool. Thursday's Child is really a song I can listen to, while I put on my scented sticks on the background, close my eyes and just enjoy the music.

40 minutes ago, Bad Girl said:

@Vertigo-go is the version of Lazarus on No Plan different from the Blackstar version?

I honestly don't know, I haven't heard Lazarus yet, it's still too soon for me. You must understand, I was attached to him too much!

Check Discogs though, they have info sometime, under the tracklists.

On 4/1/2017 at 3:43 PM, Vertigo-go said:

I honestly don't know, I haven't heard Lazarus yet, it's still too soon for me. You must understand, I was attached to him too much!

Check Discogs though, they have info sometime, under the tracklists.

When are you going to listen to the new stuff? orangu1

2 minutes ago, Rosé. said:

When are you going to listen to the new stuff? orangu1

dead2

I don't know, I might on the weekend?

I also completely forgot the extra tracks from The Next Day reissue. Don't remember how any of them sound! Should I relisten? I think it was called "The Next Day Extra" or something.

Just now, Vertigo-go said:

dead2

I don't know, I might on the weekend?

I also completely forgot the extra tracks from The Next Day reissue. Don't remember how any of them sound! Should I relisten? I think it was called "The Next Day Extra" or something.

I haven't heard The Next Day in full, just bits in pieces when I'm in the car with my mum, (huge fan she is).

I have Blackstar and No Plan in one album if you want me to PM you with it (I read the Wikipedia for NP. The tracks are outtakes from the Blackstar sessions, but as you already know, they're rerecording of tracks from the musical (stage show?)) jj2

8 hours ago, Rosé said:

I'm starting to go through his music. Low is my first album!

Low is flawless, and I'm not a fan of instrumentals so that is saying something jj2 Heroes kind of expands on that sound and has a more 'conventional' and fuller feel. Play that next if you haven't.

8 hours ago, #Music said:

obsessed with Five Years lately cry6

sia3 Listen to more

OMG, he has so many non-album singles dead2

48 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

I have all his CD's and additional material which I put onto my iTunes but not sure how to share links jj3 

I found a site with DLs, but thanks! I'll let you know if I can't find anything jj2

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.