Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Jasmine

David Bowie

Introduction:

David Robert Jones, also known as David Bowie was a British singer, songwriter, music producer, actor, art painter and collector. David was born in London, Brixton and grew up in Bromley, London. He has influenced many modern singers and artists like Madonna, Marilyn Manson and Lady Gaga and other bands like Simple Minds, U2, Pet Shop Boys, Placebo, Sonic Youth, Arcade Fire, Nine Inch Nails and Joy Divsion. He was also a member of the rock band Tin Machine. Before he was popular, he was a saxofonist and singer in multiple London blues bands such as The Lower Third, The Konrads and the King Bees. He also played in many movies like The Man Who Fell to Earth, Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo, Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence and Labyrinth. Also a fun fact, he was the voice actor of the King in Atlantis SquarePantis. He was married to Iman Abdulmajid and had two children, Duncan Jones and Alexandria Zahra Jones.

1977_heroes_nonch_fag_600sq.jpg

Albums:

David Bowie (1967)

Space Oddity (1969)

The Man Who Sold the World (1970)

Hunky Dory (1971)

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972)

Aladdin Sane (1973)

Pin Ups (1973)

Diamond Dogs (1974)

Young Americans (1975)

Station to Station (1976)

Low (1977)

Heroes (1977)

Lodger (1979)

Scary Monsters and Super Creeps (1980)

Let's Dance (1983)

Tonight (1984)

Never Let Me Down (1987)

Black Tie White Noise (1993)

Outside (1995)

Earthling (1997)

Hours (1999)

Heathen (2002)

Reality (2003)

The Next Day (2013)

Blackstar (2016)

No Plan (2017)

19 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

Where would one recommend I start with his discography? I'd love to get into his work but there's just so much of it.

Great news that you want to start to listen David Bowie's discography! But that's a difficult question because it depends on your own personal taste, I personally really like Young Americans, Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters and Super Creeps, Outside, Earthling, The Next Day, Blackstar and No Plan. I tend to skip the early albums but some of the songs on them are alright, but then again, it depends on your own personal taste. 

1 hour ago, Lachlan said:

Where would one recommend I start with his discography? I'd love to get into his work but there's just so much of it. dead4 

I would recommend starting from the very beginning honestly. It's best to listen over the years chronologically and hear his evolution of sound. 

However, his self-titled debut is absolute trash though. Skipping it and beginning at Space Oddity would be wise jj2

1 hour ago, Woolridge said:

They say that Pin Ups is his worst album but I never listened to it. Never Let Me Down was commercially a flop but it has some alright songs on it.

It's a covers album, so unless you stan the original material and was satisfied with his versions, I think you may like it? Here Comes the Night is one of my favourite songs ever, I don't even KNOW who penned it first. It's fucking filthy!

I've been really slayn by New Killer Star recently. I don't much listen to later Bowie except for Next Day, but that song is, again, filthy! xtina10

I think @Lachlan will get kicks from Diamond Dogs the most, knowing him at least a bit ny1

2 hours ago, Vertigo-go said:

It's a covers album, so unless you stan the original material and was satisfied with his versions, I think you may like it? Here Comes the Night is one of my favourite songs ever, I don't even KNOW who penned it first. It's fucking filthy!

I've been really slayn by New Killer Star recently. I don't much listen to later Bowie except for Next Day, but that song is, again, filthy! xtina10

I think @Lachlan will get kicks from Diamond Dogs the most, knowing him at least a bit ny1

Clearly you know me too well! jj2

In case you didn't know yet, David Bowie's team released an EP with three unreleased tracks from the Blackstar recording sessions. They were added first to the Lazarus Musical CD as promotion so I guess it would sell better. They also released a music video for the song No Plan on his vevo YouTube channel.

9 hours ago, Vertigo-go said:

He has to be released material aplenty, specifically planned to be unleashed after his death.

I think his long time music producer Tony Visconti once said that he has a lot of material left and that he would dig into it. In 2016 he was talking to his management about releasing stuff and he said there's going to be some great Bowie stuff coming out in the coming years. While I am happy that they are going to release more of his unreleased material, I am kinda skeptical about it. It kinda feels like they are using his death to sell more stuff. In the year he died, they released one complication album with an unreleased album The Gouster and they released another complication album, they made a full complication album a few years ago called Nothing has Changed and almost the same literally counts for that album, they only added a few new songs and put some polish on it to make it shiny just to make some money.

Today I almost had an heart attack at a second hand store. I was looking around there and I was looking at the vintage CD section. Basically, some guy was selling some old CD's and I thought hey, let me look in there. So then, I found Low by David Bowie and it was only five euro. If you don't know me well enough, I am a super David Bowie fan and I was super shocked. Normally, that CD would be sold for 20 euro at a store without the foil on it. It's an very amazing CD too with songs that are amazing. I am almost broke now but it was worth it.

5 hours ago, Woolridge said:

I think his long time music producer Tony Visconti once said that he has a lot of material left and that he would dig into it. In 2016 he was talking to his management about releasing stuff and he said there's going to be some great Bowie stuff coming out in the coming years. While I am happy that they are going to release more of his unreleased material, I am kinda skeptical about it. It kinda feels like they are using his death to sell more stuff. In the year he died, they released one complication album with an unreleased album The Gouster and they released another complication album, they made a full complication album a few years ago called Nothing has Changed and almost the same literally counts for that album, they only added a few new songs and put some polish on it to make it shiny just to make some money.

Well, you can't help THAT, but I heard that he specifically recorded and didn't release some material so it could be spread out over the years, which was his own idea.

I loooove Nothing has Changed, but those comps with one new song or some "new" version of SPace Oddity are trashE trash1

I also used to love compilation Platinum Bowie or something, which was a low-key compilation in Europe, but they also included lesser loved tracks from the 80s, which is great, since just because stuff like Tonight flopped, doesn't mean those albums were 100% bad. Also, that compilation had Underground, which is always snubbed on greatest hits!

37 minutes ago, Vertigo-go said:

I also used to love compilation Platinum Bowie or something, which was a low-key compilation in Europe, but they also included lesser loved tracks from the 80s, which is great, since just because stuff like Tonight flopped, doesn't mean those albums were 100% bad. Also, that compilation had Underground, which is always snubbed on greatest hits.

I think I know where you are talking about but I haven't listened to that complication album yet. I really started listening his music from the almost beginning to the end of his discography so usually I tend to skip the complication albums and just listen to the normal ones. I did buy Nothing has Changed with two CD's included, it's great when you are listening to music with your family and you just want to let them hear the popular, mainstream songs. Tonight has some great songs by the way, I absolutely adore the collaboration between David Bowie and Tina Turner with their song Tonight. But it's great that they added more lesser loved songs to them, because sometimes people tend to overlook them while some of them can be really beautiful. I think they added Sue to Nothing has Changed as well but I prefer the Blackstar version.

1 minute ago, Woolridge said:

I think I know where you are talking about but I haven't listened to that complication album yet. I really started listening his music from the almost beginning to the end of his discography so usually I tend to skip the complication albums and just listen to the normal ones. I did buy Nothing has Changed with two CD's included, it's great when you are listening to music with your family and you just want to let them hear the popular, mainstream songs. Tonight has some great songs on them by the way, I absolutely adore the collaboration between David Bowie and Tina Turner with their song Tonight. But it's great that they added more lesser loved songs to them, because sometimes people tend to overlook them while some of them can be really beautiful. I think they added Sue to Nothing has Changed as well but I prefer the Blackstar version.

Sue is on it!

I actually download those budget compilations all the time, because due to expensive copyright, they tend to have lesser known songs, and this is like a breath of fresh air to me, because albums that only feature singles aren't even "greatest hits", just a quick way to get money from people who only heard singles.  Here is the CD bdw

https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-The-Platinum-Collection/master/54319

I love that it has songs that even if they were issued commercially, they didn't make it solely because people fell out of Bowie in the 80s for a minute.

Cat People, China Girl, BLUE JEAN xtina10  When the Wind Blows are all great songs. Plus, some of those you wouldn't hear normally, because they're on soundtracks. When the Wind Blows was for that British animated film about nuclear fallout, and it's only included on re-issues of Never Let Me Down, I think!

Also, I tend to be a spotter of posters and records in films, and despite Tonight's unpopularity, I always see a vinyl or a poster of its cover in the movies! It's definetely in A Nightmare on Elm Street 2!

39 minutes ago, Vertigo-go said:

I love that it has songs that even if they were issued commercially, they didn't make it solely because people fell out of Bowie in the 80s for a minute. Cat People, China Girl, Blue Jean, When the Wind Blows are all great songs. Plus, some of those you wouldn't hear normally, because they're on soundtracks. When the Wind Blows was for that British animated film about nuclear fallout, and it's only included on re-issues of Never Let Me Down, I think!

Cat People, China Girl, Blue Jean are a few of his great songs. Blue Jean is so good, when I am in a good place and if I would feel good, I think I could totally freak out and dance like no one is watching while listening to it. It has great vibes. After you mentioned When The Wind Blows I started listening to it on Spotify, and it's a great song indeed.

By the way, I used to know someone that used to work for Mojo Concerts. We were talking about David Bowie and he mentioned to me that he was hired for all of the European concerts that David Bowie was having during a specific time. I think it was in the late eighties, so it might've been the Glass Spiders Tour. He used to build up the stage for him as work. I also know someone else which works as a lorry driver, and he drove to concert venue to concert venue for big stars. He even drove for Coldplay and Justin Bieber, sounds like amazing work. Maybe I should beg my mother to ask if he's going to drive for Lady Gaga that he could get some stuff signed for me.

4 minutes ago, Woolridge said:

Cat People, China Girl, Blue Jean are a few of his great songs. Blue Jean is so good, when I am in a good place and if I would feel good, I think I could totally freak out and dance like no one is watching while listening to it. It has great vibes. After you mentioned When The Wind Blows I started listening to it on Spotify, and it's a great song indeed.

By the way, I used to know someone that used to work for Mojo Concerts. We were talking about David Bowie and he mentioned to me that he was hired for all of the European concerts that David Bowie was having during a specific time. I think it was in the late eighties, so it might've been the Glass Spiders Tour. He used to build up the stage for him as work. I also know someone else which works as a lorry driver, and he drove to concert venue to concert venue for big stars. He even drove for Coldplay and Justin Bieber, sounds like amazing work. Maybe I should beg my mother to ask if he's going to drive for Lady Gaga that he could get some stuff signed for me.

My friend's mum worked in a hotel in late 70s, was called to bring some tea upstairs, opened the door, and Bowie and Iggy Pop were sitting there rip2

My last chance to see him was when they sort of hinted at The Next Day concerts, although I kind of knew I wouldn't have to be able to afford some exclusive concert at London O2 which was totally gonna sell out before I even clicked the link! I guess he wasn't feeling very well for those, an his last tour was in early 2000s when I was way too young and didn't even know him. I guess that stroke really hit him back then. He finally started aging like a regular person lol, and went underground for a bit. I also was shocked how good TND was because I gave up on many older artists already. Bob Dylan's last albums are pretty horrible, for example. Next Day was so energetic, original, fantastic, I couldn't believe it! The title track and Dancing Out in Space were the classic Bowie tracks. And those videos scream1

Before he died, I was hoping that he would go on tour for his album Blackstar but I was skeptical about it because he was already so old. The Next Day is really good by the way. I really like the songs The Next Day, The Stars Are Out Tonight, Love is Lost, Where Are We Now, If You Can See Me, I'd Rather Be High and You Feel So Lonely You Could Die. But it's cool that your mother's friend met David Bowie and Iggy Pop. I assume that it must've been during the time when he was in Berlin? Or was he visiting England again?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.