mercury.co.uk

Exclusive: Disney legend wants a drag star to play Ursula in The Little Mermaid remake

ursula-the-little-mermaid.jpg

Speaking exclusively to Gay Times about Disney’s new Beauty and the Beast movie, legendary composer Alan Menken let slip his dream casting for another live-action reimagining – fairytale classic The Little Mermaid. “I’ve wanted Harvey,” he giggles when we ask who he’d like to see play delicious baddie Ursula – a role usually played by a female. “I’ve wanted Harvey Fierstein to play Ursula. I would kill for that!”

Writer and actor Harvey Fierstein originated the role of Edna in Hairspray on Broadway, alongside starring in the same role in NBC’s Hairspray Live! He also penned the book for iconic queer shows La Cage aux Folles, Casa Valentina, Hairspray, Torch Song Trilogy and Disney’s Newsies – a show he worked on with Alan. Shocked at such a revelation and with us clearly begging for more, Alan reassures us that if it can happen, it will. “We wanted that, and we would love it in a flash!” he exclaims.

Since our exclusive went live and other news organisations have begun to report on it, Harvey responded to the casting suggestion. Writing via his Facebook page, “Oh, Alan, no need to kill anyone. Your wish is my command. As for the rest of you… Oh, you poor unfortunate souls!!!!”

source

2 hours ago, Harry Styles said:

it makes sense though since it's a known fact Ursula was inspired by Divine 

2 hours ago, RuPaul said:

Well I mean, Ursula was inspired by Divine so it would make sense! I'm here for this!

I didn't know. eve1 

Came to post she should be played by Divine. 

Please no. cry9 He ruined Hairspray Live! for me and now he can't ruin my second favorite Disney character and my favorite Disney movie. giveup1 I'd love to see Queen Latifah, some fat drag queen, or even Gaga play Ursula, but not him. jj4

2 hours ago, the great helper22 said:

who is Divine?

Divine was the IT drag queen back in the day, before RuPaul took over in the 90's. She was the inspiration, literally, for Ursula on the animated version of The Little Mermaid. 

6af7abe673bca29f61ae53b179a442c6.jpg

On 3/21/2017 at 7:00 PM, Perfect Illusion said:

Please no. cry9 He ruined Hairspray Live! for me and now he can't ruin my second favorite Disney character and my favorite Disney movie. giveup1 I'd love to see Queen Latifah, some fat drag queen, or even Gaga play Ursula, but not him. jj4

Queen Latifah YES omg. why didn't I think of this