Jony

Four dead, 40 injured in terror attack at UK Parliament

_95272337_floor_pa.jpg

Latest update: 

Police confirm that four people have died in the London attack today, including one police officer and the attacker. 

Officers believe there was only one attacker at this stage. At least twenty people have been injured.

• Two people killed on Westminster Bridge
  • Several others suffer 'catastrophic injuries'
  • Attacker shot just inside Parliament gate, dead
  • One police officer stabbed at Parliament, died at scene
  • Police treating incident as terrorism
  • Houses of Parliament locked down
  • One woman rescued from River Thames
  • At least 10 treated by medical staff
  • Some witnesses say 2 cars involved
  • Police will not say if any arrests made yet

A woman has died on Westminster Bridge in central London in what police are treating as a terrorist incident.

A police officer was also stabbed in the nearby Houses of Parliament by an attacker, who was shot by police.

The attacker struck several pedestrians as he drove a car across the bridge, before crashing it into railings.

A doctor at St Thomas' Hospital said a number of other people were hurt - some with "catastrophic" injuries.

Junior doctor Colleen Anderson from St Thomas' said she also said she treated a police officer in his 30s with a head injury, who had been taken to King's College Hospital.

She said the woman had died at the scene.
"There were people across the bridge. There were some with minor injuries, some catastrophic," she added.
 "Some had injuries they could walk away from or who have life-changing injuries. There were maybe a dozen [injured]."

MPs said they had heard three or four gunshots and staff inside Parliament were told to stay inside their offices. 
Commons Leader David Lidington told MPs the "alleged assailant was shot by armed police".

A Downing Street source said Prime Minister Theresa May was safe.

The prime minister was seen being ushered into a silver Jaguar car as what sounded like gunfire rang out at Parliament during the incident.
Tom Peck, political editor for the Independent, tweeted: "There was a loud bang. Screams. Commotion. Then the sound of gunshots. Armed police everywhere."

Press Association political editor Andrew Woodcock witnessed the scenes unfolding from his office window overlooking New Palace Yard.
"I heard shouts and screams from outside and looked out, and there was a group of maybe 40 or 50 people running round the corner from Bridge Street into Parliament Square.

"They appeared to be running away from something. 
"As the group arrived at the Carriage Gates, where policemen are posted at the security entrance, a man suddenly ran out of the crowd and into the yard. 
"He seemed to be holding up a long kitchen knife.
"I heard what sounded like shots - I think about three of them - and then the next thing I knew there were two people lying on the ground and others running to help them. 
"Armed police were quickly on the scene and I heard them shouting to people to get out of the yard."

'Mowed down'

In eye witness, Radoslaw Sikorski, a senior fellow at Harvard's Centre for European Studies, posted a video to Twitter showing people lying injured in the road on Westminster Bridge.

He wrote: "A car on Westminster Bridge has just mowed down at least 5 people."
Scotland Yard said it was called to a firearms incident on Westminster Bridge amid reports of several people injured.

Transport for London said Westminster underground station has been shut at the police's request, and buses diverted.
Mr Lidington said: "It seems that a police officer has been stabbed, that the alleged assailant was shot by armed police.

"An air ambulance is currently attending the scene to remove the casualties.
"There are also reports of further violent incidents in the vicinity of the Palace of Westminster but I hope colleagues on all sides will appreciate that it'd be wrong of me to go into further details until we have confirmation from the police and from the House security authorities about what is going on."

BBC

Quentin Letts, the Daily Mail’s parliamentary sketchwriter, said he saw a man in black attack a police officer outside Parliament before being shot two or three times as he tried to storm into the House of Commons, the Press Association reports.

“I saw a thick-set man in black clothes come through the gates into New Palace Yard, just below Big Ben,” he told the BBC. 

He had something in his hand, it looked like a stick of some sort, and he was challenged by a couple of policemen in yellow jackets.

And one of the yellow-jacketed policemen fell down and we could see the man in black moving his arm in a way that suggested he was stabbing or striking the yellow-jacketed policeman.

The Guardian

10 minutes ago, Jony said:

Quentin Letts, the Daily Mail’s parliamentary sketchwriter, said he saw a man in black attack a police officer outside Parliament before being shot two or three times as he tried to storm into the House of Commons, the Press Association reports.

“I saw a thick-set man in black clothes come through the gates into New Palace Yard, just below Big Ben,” he told the BBC. 

He had something in his hand, it looked like a stick of some sort, and he was challenged by a couple of policemen in yellow jackets.

And one of the yellow-jacketed policemen fell down and we could see the man in black moving his arm in a way that suggested he was stabbing or striking the yellow-jacketed policeman.

The Guardian

brit5 what kind of crazy mother fucker goes after an armed guard like that? This dude seems unhinged.

5 minutes ago, Jony said:

Apparently the attacker ran over multiple people on Westminster bridge before crashing at the palace fence, getting out and stabbing the police officer 

wtf jj4 

Here is an extract from the statement from the Metropolitan police commander, BJ Harrington.

Although we remain open-minded to the motive, a full counter-terrorism investigation is already underway. This is led by the Met counter-terrorism command.

At this stage I will confirm what we know has happened but I will not speculate. We received a number of different reports which included a person in the river, a car in collision with pedestrians and a man armed with a knife. Officers were already in that location as part of routine policing but immediately additional officers were sent to the scene and that included firearms officers. We are working closely with the London ambulance service and the London fire brigade ...

We know there are a number of casualties, including police officers, but at this stage we cannot confirm numbers or the nature of these injuries ...

The acting commissioner, Craig Mackey, is being treated as a significant witness as he was at the scene when the incident started. Whilst he is not injured, it would be inappropriate for him to be here to talk about this incident at this stage.

Our thoughts and his thoughts are with all those involved and responding to that incident this evening. I would stress that if anyone has information about today’s incident they are urged to call 0800789321 and I want to stress that if the public have any information or see anything suspicious to dial 999 immediately.