Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

ajp

Avril Lavigne | Head Above Water | February 15, 2019

so far in my first run through, im on It Was in Me (skipping Dumb Blonde nicki5 )

so far all songs a re average, the only good song is the title track. IWIM isnt done playing yet but idk nicki5 

1 hour ago, Chris Morlock said:

so far in my first run through, im on It Was in Me (skipping Dumb Blonde nicki5 )

so far all songs a re average, the only good song is the title track. IWIM isnt done playing yet but idk nicki5 

Do you like Fell In Love With The Devil? I'm loving that song cry7 And Birdie is great

ive listened to the album a lot now and i have to say the first part of the album is actually really good but the second part starting with souvenir is really just a filler and her basic bitching summer sipping on sunshine emotionless and meaningless material with the exception of goddess, and i have to say warrior is also a let down, its just so emotionless and underwhelming.

with that said, the first part is really good and some songs actually feel fresh from her, birdie, i fell in love with the devil, tell me its over. head above water song became a classic for me. its definitely the most powerful song off the record and i actually like dumb blonde cause its an avril upbeat pop classic without feeling like its a fucking filler song. 

overall i like listening to the first half of the record but i already see myself forgetting about crush, souvenir, love me insane, bigger wow. very disappointing after knowing the fact she has so many fucking songs in the archive still unreleased, said by herself.  

17 minutes ago, BJORK said:

My trinity: Crush / It Was In Me / Birdie

Mine is the same but I’d switch Crush with I Fell In Love with the Devil

Like seems to be the general consensus half the album is forgettable filler with generic lyrics and production.

I wouldn't have had as big expectations if she hadn't survived death, divorced her husband, AND switched labels since the last record.

Bitch has been through it.

BUT on the positive side I love that she did at least experiment with some new styles on the album.

Head Above Water, Tell Me It's Over, Birdie, and It Was in Me are my current favorites.

Dumb Blonde has me torn. Bonnie McKee's writing on the verses and prechorus work really well, but the chorus is garbage and juvenile (even for the song).

I'm indifferent about Nicki's verse. I think a mashup that replaces's her chorus would save it for me, currently I just can't get past it.

The live performances haven't been memorable either. I hope she actually does support the album and isn't being bullied by a label again.

2 hours ago, Ruthless Love said:

Is it me, or does she sound sick/flat/out of tune in this performance?

i believe it was just really early, she said on insta something in the lines shes been up late and has to perform very early lol and yeah she does sound a little flat/off

She has almost zero streaming oprah14

HDD:

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

YOUR TOP 20:

Ariana Grande will repeat at #1 as her RTD for thank u, next approaches 850k; meanwhile, Florida Georgia Line and Drake (among others) debut.

Ariana Grande (Republic) 140-150k total activity, 19-24k album

Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody (Hollywood) 60-70k, 35-45k

*Florida Georgia Line (BMLGR) 45-50k, 30-35k

*Drake – So Far Gone (YMCMB/Republic) 40-45k, 7-9k

Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper (Interscope) 40-45k, 21-24k

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie (Atlantic) 40-45k, <1k

Post Malone (Republic) 30-35k, 3-4k

Travis Scott (Cactus Jack/Grand Hustle/Epic) 30-35k, 1-2k

21 Savage (Slaughter Gang/Epic) 30-35k, <1k

Drake – Scorpion (YMCMB/Republic) 28-32k, 1-2k

Meek Mill (Atlantic) 28-32k, <1k

Future (FREEBANDZ/Epic) 25-28k, <1k

*Avril Lavigne (BMG) 25-28k, 21-24k

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (Republic) 24-27k, 2-3k

Cardi B (Atlantic) 22-25k, 2-4k

Juice WRLD (Grade A/Interscope) 22-25k, <1k

Luke Combs (River House/Columbia Nashville) 22-25k, 4-5k

The Greatest Showman (Atlantic) 21-24k, 9-10k

Kodak Black (Atlantic) 21-24k, <1k

Billie Eilish (Darkroom/Interscope) 19-22k, 2-3k

It’s been a week, kids...and I thought I would give my opinion on the album.

Head Above Water is that song. It’s very spiritual and from a deep place that sets the tone for the album. Bravo!

Birdie is odd. I didn’t like it at first but it fits the album and is very Avril.

I Fell in Love With The Devil. I know it’s just an expression but this song kills the album for me, and about a minute too long, too. Skip it.

Tell Me It’s Over. I don’t think this fits the album. I have nothing against the song but it’s a bit too “Chris Issac” and something she should have saved when she’s doing an Adult Contemporary album in her 40’s. It’s a good direction for her but not yet. Perfect song as the credits roll for a movie...

Dumb Blonde. I like it. Like some other tracks, it just doesn’t fit this album. It would have fit on a previous album or a one-off I glee. Sometimes it reminds me of Cher Lloyd circa 2014. Who knows, maybe it was written and recorded 5 years ago before she became ill. The Nicki verse could have been deleted.

It Was Me. Beautiful. This is her I’m With You of this album. Totally fits and there is just something soothing about her vocals and the arrangement here. Why wasn’t this single 1, 2, or 3? On Repeat.

Souvenir. Why am I drawn to this? It’s the stupidest song but I’ve been singing it all week.

Crush. This reminds me of Tell Me It’s Over but executed so much better. Again, her vocals and the arrangement are so delicate. Another signature song. 

Goddess. Well, this isn’t it. Just trying to rhyme Pajamas with Bananas was bad enough. “He treats me like a McGoddess (Burger)”.

Bigger Wow. Fun but not much of a bigger wow for me. Na Nana, Na Nana, Filler.

Love Me Insane. This one just doesn’t sound current. Did she record this 10 years ago? Hide it at track 11 and they won’t notice.

Warrior. I think this was the original direction of the album and I can see why it is here. It must be emotional for her to finish this album but the song just seems disconnected from that emotion.

Overall, I was happy with a new album but it’s a bit messy in its production. I was expecting the album to have more of a spiritual tone after her illness but some of the tracks just fall flat. With the cover art, I thought it would be a more stripped down sound, more acoustic but there is no sense of that. I wish she had of attempted a more raw album instead of this safe one. After 6 albums, I expected more. I love all of them but this one is my least favourite. 

am I the only one who loved ALL of this album there wasn't one song I didn't like. by the time I got to love me insane and goddess I could see what people meant by underwhelming it just felt like the whole sound from the previous few tracks was being drawn out and not adding a lot but individually the tracks are so good. my favourite is souvenir (which apparently people dont likejj3) and it was in me. my third favourite album from Avril behind let go and the best damn thing. I dont get the hype behind crush and birdie like they're good but they aren't a stand out for me. love me insane is so forgettable I completely forgot what it sounds likerip4

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.