Sylk

How long did it take your fav to have their first flop?

1 hour ago, Saiga said:

Wait why was she banned? wat3 

1 hour ago, RuPaul said:

I can't remember so much about it but it was because of some contract deals her label had and they fucked up one of them and that one had control over radio and it affected Britney until ITZ, that was why "Me Against The Music" flopped on radio. The label fixed it later on and "Toxic" came and she made history! ny1 

Also because radios got mad because she debuted Slave on the VMAs and not on the radios then they wouldn't play the singles. Even though her chartings in the US wasn't great, she had nice peaks worldwide. 

1 hour ago, Angelus said:

Um no, Erotica was peak of her popularity, sales were low because you know, at the time people actually had to go out to buy album and kids/teen fans couldn't without their parents because that PA label actualy meant something in 90s, and what parent wanted to buy Erotica to their kid?

At the end of the day album spent whole year on BB200, scored 2 top 10s in US and 5 top 10s in UK, gave her her biggest tour, it was multiplatinum in every major market, and outside US it sold on pair with Mariah's Emotions and Janet's selftitled for example.

She had hits, popularity, touring power.

She only performed twice on TV  [SNL January 1993, VMA 1993] (3 songs and 2 of them weren't even released in US)

What other 'flop' albums managed to achieve this much?

Janet album sold more than 7 million copies outside the US at the very least. Because like many of Janet's albums, it is undercertified. That is almost as much as Emotions total sales and more than erotica total sales.

4 hours ago, Angelus said:

You're forgetting that TIC didn't sell 30m by the time Erotica was released, same goes for LAP, It was club sales that pushed her 80s catalog a lot, and also when CDs exploded (sales were actually lower in 80s - on pair with mid to late 00s)

If anything BS was floppier era despite higher sales, it had 2 big singles and album started terribly on the back of Secret, TAB saved it a bit. Erotica had strong start (sales weren't frontladed at the time), but era died soon, Rain started picking up things (#14 hot 100) and ended era decently before she went on her biggest tour at the time.

During BS she was simply irrelevant and local.

Didn't BS end up selling more though? dead2 

But anyway, idk the sales they had by the end of each of their years, but the fact that there's such a massive difference between the sales of LAP and Erotica indicates a huge underperformance for me. In the end I don't think that looking at the sales from today's point of view is that much of a false indicator, because nothing has happened that could have hindered or boosted the eventual sales of the albums. (except TIC ofc since it's a GH album) Also, she had 4 #1s in the two years before the 1991 release, and in the entire Erotica era her highest peak was at #3. That's telling me a lot.

Don't get me wrong, Erotica is still iconic and is THE album that paved the way for all of our faves to have their vaginas out, and her presence was undeniable in the era, but commercial-wise, it's a flop for me, which is understandable because nobody but her fans and a minority of the world's population would want to buy such a risqué album, especially at that time.

8 minutes ago, Angelus said:

Oh father had limited release in 1989, it was released only in 2 countries or something moo6

do you think it would of been as big as Cherish or Express Yourself

ny14 no .

12 minutes ago, DREAMPOP said:

do you think it would of been as big as Cherish or Express Yourself

ny14 no .

lullaby with animated video that she released instead of OF worldwide outsold both those  songs in UK ny14

18 hours ago, Saiga said:

Wait why was she banned? wat3 

She usually signed with some company when touring, and that company was owned by Clear Channel who owned many of the leading radio stations in the USA. For the Dream Within a Dream tour, she signed with Pepsi to sponsor since she was part of their ad campaign. Clear Channel were super pissed and banned her from the radios in revenge. The ban lasted from Slave right up to Me Against the Music.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Straight out of the fucking gate  

She hasn't flopped yet and she's been active for over 10 years

IDWLF is a duet?

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.