Scully

Farmer swallowed whole by a 23-foot (7 meters) long python (video inside)

An Indonesian man left his village Sunday to harvest palm oil, the BBC reported, but after he had been missing for 24 hours, a search party from Salubiro on the island of Sulawesi was sent out.

Soon, they found a reported 23-foot-long reticulated python, the BBC said. The New York Times reported that the shape of shoes were visible below the surface of its belly.

The villagers chased the python and killed it, the Times said. Then video was taken as they slowly sliced open the snake, revealing the body of the missing man, the Times added. He was a 25-year-old named Akbar, the BBC reported.

Villagers heard shouting on the day of the attack, the Times reported, citing a village official named Junaedi who briefed the media Tuesday. But the official said it was assumed the shouting was just someone hunting pigs, and there were no cries for help, the paper said.

Pythons capture their prey using their long teeth and then kill by constricting. Reticulated pythons — which can grow to more than 30 feet in length, LiveScience said — have reportedly been known to attack humans, according to the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.

“Pythons are nonvenomous ambush predators,” wildlife biologist Sara E. Viernum told LiveScience. “Some species are capable of swimming and may lie partially submerged in shallow water waiting for prey to visit the water body.”

Wahdi Azmi, director of wildlife studies on the veterinary faculty of Syiah Kuala University in the Banda Aceh Province, told the Times the recent attack was “a rare case of a python eating a person.”

Here’s video of the python being cut open. (Content warning: Graphic images):

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

I couldn't watch the video, but I saw a picture and jesus christ it's horrifying. And his wife apparently found out via news. 

I watched the video and it's not that visually shocking tbh.

I'm amazed by nature tho. That's impressive.

1 hour ago, Skywalker said:

No point in killing the snake if the guy was already dead btw

Don't you think he deserves a proper burial? Besides (and I'm no snake expert) I believe the snake would have died anyway because the man is simply too big for it and I don't think it could have digested his boots and pants.

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

Don't you think he deserves a proper burial? Besides (and I'm no snake expert) I believe the snake would have died anyway because the man is simply too big for it and I don't think it could have digested his boots and pants.

12 minutes ago, Witness said:

They found the snake dead cause it choked on the body jj2  And they noticed his boots sticking out of the snake. 

oh well clock me jj2 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

this um2

people talking that they should let snake live cos guy is dead anyway are dumb as fuck, like would you like your father to stay inside of snake and be digest ny12