Lachlan

#LachlanREVIEWS - Daydream (1996) & Butterfly (1997)

Today we're serving a double review of two notable Mariah albums! Let's see how they fare.

vZStzdC.png

DAYDREAM (1996)

Spoiler

1. FANTASY (5/5)
Oh my goodness this song is just so sweet and smooth. The melodies are irresistible and the samples used in the production of the song work so bloody well. Everything about this song is just effortless and there's nothing less than perfection to be found here. Liam can choke for thinking this is overrated.

2. UNDERNEATH THE STARS (4.5/5)
I kind of wish this song had been slotted later in the tracklist because it just feels a bit odd being so early, but anywho. Again, the melodies are on point and create such a romantic atmosphere with those twinkling sounds and background vocals. It's also the perfect track length, not overstaying it's welcome and remaining blissful.

3. ONE SWEET DAY FEAT. BOYZ II MEN (2/5)
I am truly at a loss as to how this song is the longest running #1 in history. It's a very cookie-cutter ballad and really it's only major wow factor is the chorus, if that. Those pedophile whispers in the background of the second verse are tragic and concerning. I'm quite glad Boyz II Men were left in the 90s.

4. OPEN ARMS (3/5)
Those first few acapella lines are bliss and the first verse to chorus are promising... Unfortunately I kind of lose interest half way through because it never really evolves into something more exciting.

5. ALWAYS BE MY BABY (4/5)
That 'doot doot doo' vocal riff is i-con-ic! Much like Fantasy, this song is kind of as bubblegum as Mariah gets and everything is just so smooth. Such an ear worm of a chorus.

6. I AM FREE (4.5/5)
The lower register in the verses work really bloody well here. And then the interlude in the middle of the song with the head voice, oh yes! Underrated ballad if I ever heard one.

7. WHEN I SAW YOU (2.5/5)
One of those songs that never really captures my attention until the chorus. Truly could not tell you what the verses are like. The vocal melodies in said chorus are gorgeous though and definitely stan-worthy! Too bad not a whole else of it is...

8. LONG AGO (4.5/5)
Oh this attitude is serving me You Need Me on a gold platter! I do wish it was like 30 seconds shorter to cut out some of the repetitiveness but otherwise it's really great. It's very 90s in the best way possible.

9. MELT AWAY (4/5)
Oh wow this song is quite beautifully restrained. And an actually interesting bridge for once in Mariah's career. Just kidding! It's still not a 5/5 like certain people (Liam and Piss XCX) think but it's certainly a beautiful girl.

10. FOREVER (4/5)
The opening 5 seconds are worth a perfect score alone wow just gorgeous! She's done this piano riff before but in lighter notes it's just so beautiful. The 'you will always be my only one' refrain is to die for!

11. DAYDREAM (INTERLUDE) (5/5)
Oh my fucking god this song is a dream! Serve me dance, serve me house, serve me disco, Mariah. That whistle note wow my wig flew to Pluto and back seven times. 

12. LOOKING IN (5/5)
This is truly just gorgeous! And she's serving me actual emotion. I feel like she's singing this song looking into my bedroom on a rainy night. Poor Love Takes Time, being overshadowed by all her other closing tracks. Or maybe I'm still too hard on that track.

OVERALL - 79 on Lachlancritic

---

BUTTERFLY (1997)

Spoiler

1. HONEY (5/5)
Continuing on with the easy-breezy-beautiful-Covergirl-summer-bops-as-lead-single trend. Dreamlover, Fantasy and now Honey. Like all those singles, this track is effortless and sweet, and I can’t fault it at all.

2. BUTTERFLY (4.5/5)
This song is all round gorgeous and the most astonishing thing about it is the fact that the whole butterfly metaphor doesn’t come off as overly cheesy. I feel inspired and ready to hit the church after listening to this godly anthem. Her vocal performance is so gorgeous throughout this entire track in particular.

3. MY ALL (5/5)
Oh we love the lyrics to this fantastic track! Those guitars work heavenly with her voice, especially when she goes into those lower registers. And then it gets even better those subtle beats and clicks in the second verse. This song creates such an enticing atmosphere and is my favourite track from the album.

4. THE ROOF (5/5)
Oh my it’s Mariah’s first streak of four perfect scoring songs in a row. Queen of using so much imagery and description that I actually feel like I sat on the roof with her that night. This is the first time we see Mariah playing more heavily with R&B sounds and it works so well. This song should be in everyone’s Butterfly trinity.

5. FOURTH OF JULY (4.5/5)
The chorus of this song is beautiful, gorgeous, show-stopping, incredible, etc. Again, another spine-tingling vocal performance. Emotions album is shaking at these vocals! This song has a really great flow to it.

6. BREAKDOWN (4/5)
This screams of early 00s R&B so I guess she’s a bit ahead of her time! The rent-a-rapper features aren’t a big deal either, in fact I think they break up the song nicely. A great album track.

7. BABYDOLL (4/5)
Oh the verses really serve in this track. I really don’t have too much to say about this track; it’s just a nice, smooth jam and a good addition to the album. You go Mariah.

8. CLOSE MY EYES (4.5/5)
My god those “la da da da da” riffs saved my fucking life! They are gorgeous. Everything else in this song was unnecessary because that’s its saving grave… I’m kidding of course, this song is undeniably gorgeous.

9. WHENEVER YOU CALL (4/5)
This song sits around 3.5 territory until the last minute when she goes OFF and my wig orbits every planet three times.

10. FLY AWAY (4/5)
This track would’ve probably gotten a perfect score had the Daydream Interlude not existed. This basically serves the same purpose, and while it’s still great, it’s not as surprising being on a second album in a row. Those whistle notes still get me though.

11. THE BEAUTIFUL ONES FEAT. DRU HILL (3/5)
The length of this song really drags it down; it goes on for way too long considering there isn’t a whole lot of structure to the lyrics and it’s basically just a 6 minute vocal riff exercise between the two artists. Granted, they do sound really good together and think it’s a reasonably good Prince cover. But god, 7 minutes.

12. OUTSIDE (3.5/5)
Wow, you know this was a good album when one of the lower scoring songs still isn’t filler! It’s definitely a soothing closing track and wraps up the album well both sonically and lyrically.

OVERALL - 86 on Lachlancritic

---

ALBUM RANKING SO FAR
Butterfly - 86
Mariah Carey - 84
Emotions - 82
Daydream - 79
Music Box - 74

zfNHQry.gif

4 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

Only goats would do such a thing.

Tea! And I'm sure Goat themselves would have trouble to claim this song.

Anyways, I think this was a nice review to read! Also I'm glad you didn't come for "Whenever You Call" a.k.a. one of my faves from the album! "When I Saw You & One Sweet Day" obviously deserved the backlash on Daydream. 'Long Ago' is a filler to me tbh so I'd skip it without hesitation, but I mostly agree with your marks on both Daydream & Butterfly! Can't wait for the next reviews!

41 minutes ago, Royale said:

Tea! And I'm sure Goat themselves would have trouble to claim this song.

Anyways, I think this was a nice review to read! Also I'm glad you didn't come for "Whenever You Call" a.k.a. one of my faves from the album! "When I Saw You & One Sweet Day" obviously deserved the backlash on Daydream. 'Long Ago' is a filler to me tbh so I'd skip it without hesitation, but I mostly agree with your marks on both Daydream & Butterfly! Can't wait for the next reviews!

Skipping Long Ago? Sweetie I-

8 minutes ago, Hylia said:

One Sweet Day is perfect, I'm sorry certain goats can't realize it!

The results are in and scientists can't find anything amazing about OSD.

5 minutes ago, Diamond said:

I think Melt Away, Forever and Breakdown are 5s but I agree with everything else tbh! Her two best albums btw! oprah2 

Daydream would possibly be her second best but they're just a few too many songs that aren't amazing so it's bumped down a lot. Debut and Emotions >

56 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

Skipping Long Ago? Sweetie I-

The results are in and scientists can't find anything amazing about OSD.

Daydream would possibly be her second best but they're just a few too many songs that aren't amazing so it's bumped down a lot. Debut and Emotions >

Stan Successong Legendgo though