H.O.N.E.Y

So U Think U've Got Taste? | Finale

This is the finale of So U Think U've Got Taste?

Winner receives a 2 month VIP, Runner up receives a 1 months VIP.

Total Scores

Jony        -          Lachlan         -           Fab

Winner: @Bambi            

Playlist:    9/10, 9/10, 9.5/10                 Lead: -                                        Bonus: -                  Total: 27.7

Judges Comments

Spoiler

Playlist:

Spoiler

ce2bebee9a.png 

1. Timbaland - Apologize (ft. OneRepublic)

2. Mark Ronson - Valerie (feat. Amy Winehouse)

3. Azealia Banks - Soda

4. Kali Uchis - Ridin' Round

1. This song is all I used to listen to and sing along when I was 7 years. My brother made me listen to it and I remember being obsessed with it. Whenever I hear it nowadays, it brings me back to those carefree days.

2. My mother's a huge fan of Amy Winehouse and I would hear this song all day at home, and still do sometimes. It's one of her favorite songs of all time and it grew to be one of mine as well. The song is just so joyful and I still play it all the time.

3. This song represents me in my darker times. It's not an old song but still feels like it's been here with me forever. Whenever I get sad, I play this song. It's relatable because once you feel like shit you do all kind of things to dismiss the pain and that's what this song is all about.

4. At the moment, I'm just doing me. I dont care what people are saying about me because I feel good. I don't have any time for useless drama. This song creates a perfect image of it.

On ١٦‏/٤‏/٢٠١٧ at 4:41 PM, Jony said:

I adore most of these songs, excellent choices

Overall Score - 9/10

On ١٦‏/٤‏/٢٠١٧ at 1:08 AM, Lachlan said:

A great selection of songs that cover a diverse range of themes and emotions. It's cool to see that even recent songs like Soda and Ridin' Round can leave such a profound impact on an individual.

Overall Score - 9/10

On ١٤‏/٤‏/٢٠١٧ at 7:56 PM, fab said:

A playlist that is anything but monotone and comprises lots of different genres and emotions. But despite this musical diversity, you managed to put together a playlist  that feels coherent and authentic, with a nice cover art on top of that rav2 

Overall Score: 9.5/10 

Runner Up: @BJORK

Playlist: 8/10, 9/10, 10/10                         Lead: -                                        Bonus: -                 Total: 27

Judge's Comments:

Spoiler

Playlist:

Spoiler

ea917b1f87.jpeg

1. So Yesterday - Hilary Duff

2. Hyper-ballad - Bjork

3. Ruiner - Nine Inch Nails

4. LA (feat. Trombone Shorty) - DAWN

1. As a kid in elementary I used to buy pirated CD’s of Hilary Duff albums and play them on a shitty portable stereo at home. I’d have to put my ear against the speakers to hear the lyrics, she narrated my purest years.

2. I always return to this at times of change: when I moved countries, when I finished high school/university, when I got my first “adult” job. It has a strong innocence to it and I’ve always thought the lyrics share a relatable instability.

3. I hate feeling sad for myself. I’m a bit of a matchstick IRL and when life has hit me hard I always power through with this - pay attention to the simple lyrics towards the end.

4. I don’t care much for the lyrics/video of this song but love its entire vibe. It screams 2017 to me and has been part of many memories so far.

Very nice songs, love Hyperballad and the DAWN track

Overall Score 8/10

One of my favourite playlists. Hyperballad is a song that I can draw on from my own life experiences so to read how a person relates to it in such a different way is amazing. Also loved the inclusion of So Yesterday as a nod back to your early days.

Overall Score - 9/10

A teen pop song full of naivety and youthful optimism quickly leads into much heavier, emotionally charged songs, perfectly conveying the unexpected struggles of growing up that we all have to deal with in one form or another. This user doesn’t try to sugarcoat his/her feelings and doesn’t shy back from reflecting on some darker themes - a very authentic and personal selection of songs. 

Overall Score: 10/10

3. @Pandora

Playlist: 9.3/10, 8/10, 9/10                           Lead: -                                        Bonus: -                 Total: 26.3

Judges Comments:

Spoiler

Playlist:

Spoiler

rbZPpM0.jpg

1. P!nk - Who Knew

2. Nina Simone - I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free

3. The Smiths - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

4. Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In the Dark

~~~

Track 1: Reminds me of growing up listening to this as my mom was a fan. The lyrics are also touching.

Track 2: I think this song will always be an overarching theme in my life.

Track 3: Touches base in some not-so-distant memories as being very down. Serving melodrama hunty.

Track 4: This song depicts me now - an anticipation to get up and move the fuck forward dead2 

Four beautiful tracks, really enjoyed this playlist.

Overall 9.3/10

I believe this playlist gives me a good sense of who this person is; expressing some positive, negative and nostalgic emotions. Also, Bruce Springsteen is serving daddy in that video.

Overall Score  - 8/10

All these songs create a very intense atmosphere of nostalgia and melancholia. I feel like this person loves to dwell on the past (also the fact that 3 songs are from the pre-90s) but is optimistic about the future and determined that his time to shine is yet to come. 

Overall Score: 9/10

4. @Kristina

Playlist: 8.5/10, 8/10, 8/10                             Lead: -                                        Bonus: -                 Total: 25.5

Judge's Comments:

Spoiler

Playlist:

Spoiler

ccadbb6c82.png

1. Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life

2. Aaliyah - Try Again

3. Kesha - Dancing With Tears In My Eyes

4. Sigrid - Don't Kill My Vibe

1. My earliest memories of music are all with Spice Girls. Having a sister close to me in age, she was naturally a fan of them as well. We used to dress up as our favorite Spice Girl and put on shows to our parents and whoever else wanted to watch. This one was always my favorite and reminds me of how much fun we used to have back then. 
2. This song is the one I always go back to. It's empowering so I can listen to it when I'm down and feel like nothing's going my way, but I can also listen to it if I wanna dance, when I'm driving or just whenever. It still sounds as good to me as it did the first time I heard it.
3. I listened to this song a lot when I was going through my first real heartbreak. For that reason it still makes me sad to listen to it to this day, it doesn't bring back good memories. 
4. This song represents how I feel right now. I'm in a really good place and won't let anyone kill my vibe even if they try to!

Great songs overall, enjoyed Don’t Kill My Vibe a lot

Overall Score - 8.5/10

Again this is a really great playlist that showcases who this person is now and was at various stages in their life. 

Overall Score - 9/10

A playlist with lots of happy and empowering vibes that shows that this user has a very positive stance on life and doesn’t let the obstacles he’s facing stop him from enjoying life! 

Overall Score - 8/10

tumblr_ly6kdld2v61qjdbydo1_250.gif

5. @Milk

Playlist: 9/10, 10/10, 5/10                                Lead:  -                                       Bonus: -                  Total: 24

Judge's Comments:

Spoiler

Playlist:

Spoiler

tumblr_lxvwf880o11r9vscno1_500.jpg

01 - Madonna - Ray Of Light

02 - Madonna - Paradise (Not For Me)

03 - Madonna - You'll See

04 - Madonna - Bedtime Story

01 - Ray Of Light was one of the first Madonna songs I've heard, I loved it immediately. I remember being little and watching the music video on MTV with my parents, my father was (and still is) a big madonna fan so he encouraged me to become one too, I miss those days...

02 - Paradise (Not For Me) has followed me ever since I became a madonna fan, I remember moving when I was little and I lost all my tapes with madonna's albums, but later I found Music in my backpack, and I was listening to that album constantly until I got the rest back, I chose Paradise specifically because it was the song I always anticipated most when listening to the album, it's my favorite on Music and still holds a spot in my top 2 Madonna songs today. Definition of masterpiece right there.

03 - So you judges are probably wondering at this point "why only Madonna, is my taste THAT shallow"? And I'll answer - because she had the biggest influence on me from all artists ever, she influenced my life a lot, and this playlist is a tribute to her. Thank you. You'll See was chosen by me as a song that makes me sad, that I can relate to, and I totally can. I was bullied a lot through elementary school, for being different etc. those kids used to always put me down and tell me I'm worthless and I believed them, but when I graduated elementary and discovered this track I immediately remembered those bullies. "You think I have nothing... You'll see." The lyrics both took me back to that time and made me stronger, this track helped me look back at those times and start feeling confident and self assured. Thank you Madonna.

04 - And this for the last track, the track I chose as the one that represents the current "me". I don't particularly listen to this a lot but I love it and relate to it, and it represents me. Bedtime Story, so first of all it's taken off of my favorite album of all time, Bedtime Stories, but what makes it so relatable to me is the meaning. "Today is the last day that I'm using words. They've gone out, lost their meaning, don't function anymore." Madonna talks about how words don't mean a thing for her, or, they actually do, but they don't mean what Madonna wanted them to mean. What goes through her head doesn't match what comes out of her mouth. And I can relate to that, not in that exact context but I can. I have so much running through my mind at all times and I never share it with anyone. I only say 10% of what I think. And sometimes it's for the good, sometimes it's for the bad, but either way they "don't function anymore". Sometimes I want to say something but take it back in fear that people will not understand exactly what I wanted to say and will mistake it. So yeah, there it is.

Can’t go wrong with Madonna, or even 4 Madonna tracks. Loved the accompanying story oprah4 

Overall Score - 9/10

Not just giving this a perfect score because I'm also a Madonna fan, but they really included a lot of depth surrounding their connections with these songs and they aren't just generic picks either. Especially this player's explanation for Bedtime Story. Great.

Overall Score  - 10/10

Even though I respect that Madonna’s music has a huge importance for you, I would have wished for a bit more diversity in your playlist. You were supposed to turn the spotlight on yourself, but instead you made it about Madonna.   

Overall Score - 5/10

6. @Sylk

Playlist: 9/10, 7/10, 5/10                                Lead:  -                                       Bonus: -                 Total: 21

Judge's Comments:

Spoiler

Playlist:

Spoiler

yn6Q9pm.png

01 - Poem to a Horse - Shakira 

02 - Shark in the Water - V V Brown 

03 - H.A.T.E.U - Mariah Carey

04 - Venus as a Boy - Bjork 

01 - Laundry Service was one of my first albums and that's always been one of my favourite songs off of it. It always takes me back to the days when I used to listen to it over and over on repeat.

02 - I love this song so much. I always go back and listen to it every now and then. It's a song that will always be in my life. 

03 - I think everyone of us experience heartbreak and when it does happen to you, your immediate instinct is to hate that person and this song and it's lyrics perfectly sums that up for me. 

04 - Right now I'm at a point in my life where everything's coming full circle and I relate to this song so much, it's simplicity, the indian tablas, the lyrics, everything.  

Loved the progression of the playlist, a great way to tell a story.

Overall Score - 9/10

A really solid playlist, although I think the V V Brown song could have been replaced with something that gives me a bit more insight into the experience of the player.

Overall Score - 7/10

Songs with lyrical content entirely focused on another person don't feel like the best choices of reflecting someone’s emotions - I wish the person would have opened up a bit more and allowed us to get to know him / her a bit better. 

Overall Score - 5/10

tumblr_ly6kdld2v61qjdbydo2_250.gif

7. @Hannah.

Playlist: 7/10, 7/10, 4.5/10                           Lead: -                                        Bonus: -                 Total: 18.5

Judge's Comments:

Spoiler

Playlist:

Spoiler

1. Christina Aguilera - Reflection

2. OneRepublic - I Lived

3. Little Mix - These Four Walls

4. Ariana Grande - Be Alright

The only music I really listened to when I was 5-6 was Disney music, Xtina, and Britney. Mulan was my favorite Disney movie as a kid and I adored Christina's rendition of Reflection. It was actually the very first song I bought on iTunes when I got my first iPod nano over 11 years ago.

I heard this song a few years ago when it was first released and I instantly loved it and the message in the song. I don't want to be old and thinking how I wasted my life. I wanna live my life to the absolute fullest and hopefully one day look back on my life and I can say that I lived a full life and have no regrets.

I was going through my very first heartbreak and I listened to this song all the time because it was the one song that I related to the most.

Although not my all-time favorite Ariana track, it's definitely the one song that matches up to my current mind set. Even through all of the bad, I just have to remind myself that every thing is gonna be alright!

Nice and cohesive playlist, flows really well and Be Alright works nicely as the closer.

Overall Score 8/10  7/10 (-1 due to no cover)

Quite a reflective and uplifting playlist which I appreciate, and I could tell that the player had a strong attachment to each song.

Overall Score - 8/10 7/10 (-1 due to no cover)

I would have wished for a bit more diversity in this playlist - Choosing 4 soft pop ballads doesn't really show much growth in terms of musical appreciation (stole that from you whit1 ). And even though the songs offer some relatable lyrics, they are all somewhat generic and don't really reveal a lot about you as a person! -1 point for the missing cover art. 

Overall Score: 5.5/10  5.5/10 (-1 due to no cover)

tumblr_ly6kdld2v61qjdbydo4_250.gif

Final thoughts from judges:

On ١٦‏/٤‏/٢٠١٧ at 5:00 PM, Jony said:

This week had some of the best submissions so far, I loved reading everyone's stories and listening to tracks they love and deeply relate to.

On ١٦‏/٤‏/٢٠١٧ at 1:30 AM, Lachlan said:

I really enjoyed delving into people's lives with this task and it's great to see what songs hold such strong emotions within different people.

On ١٦‏/٤‏/٢٠١٧ at 0:16 PM, fab said:

Overall the submissions very pretty decent, although there definitely was room for improvement for a couple of players. Some of the submissions lacked musical variety and lyrical depth and didn't really tell much of a story. I feel like these players could've put a bit more effort into their playlists.  However, there were also two or three players who really nailed this task.

Final Montage:

Congrats to @Bambi on the win and congrats to @BJORK on 2nd place.