RepuTAYtion

Republic A&R Exec Talks Ariana & Bang Bang

Kind of an interesting story of the back end of things  wendy2

Also, she kind of shades her a bit um2

“In the case of Ariana, we had her signed since she was 16 and we tried a lot of different styles of music and the truth is her voice sounded better on urban-ish leaning records -- more Mariah Carey than a Katy Perry -- but she didn’t necessarily have pop taste in music and always shied away from what were her biggest singles.

“So in the case of ‘Bang Bang,’ she didn’t really want to cut it and I said, ‘You don’t have to cut it.’ In my mind, I knew the record was a smash and as an A&R person, you never let a hit record leave the building, so that record was not going to RCA, it was not going to Epic [laughs]. It was not going anywhere else. 

“So I started sending it to other artists. I sent it to Nicki Minaj and she loved it. We sent it to Jessie J; she loved it.  So I cut both of them on it and then sent it back to Ariana. I kept her voice on the second verse and all of a sudden she got it. She was like, “Oh my God, you’re right; this is huge.’ So sometimes it’s a little working in the background or behind their back to make it great.” 

And if Grande had hated it? asked Newman, “It would’ve come out on Jessie J’s album,” Goldstein says.

“We’re animals,” she explained. “We never let a hit leave and if she really kicked and screamed about being on the second verse, we would have put someone else on the second verse. I think she still regretted it because in the end it became a standalone entity, even thought it was on her second album [My Everything] as a bonus record — and it was on Jesse’s record [Sweet Talker] but we also had Nicki signed through Cash Money — it became its own entity as far as royalties and how it was listed. 

“So she never got 100 percent credit for it, had it been Ariana featuring Jessie J. and Nicki. So she learned a little from that.”