Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Royale

Mariah Carey | CAUTION | November 16th, 2018

I feel like besides GTFO and A No No, all of the tracks revealed before the album release are among the weakest tracks of the album. Caution (feat. Drake) should have been the lead single instead of the worst song of the album. sorry1

And we also won't tolerate any One Mo' Gen slander. sorry1

All right, Hannibal Lecter gave initial listen to the album and consensus is that he is mostly pleased. 

First of all, I would like to point out how Mariah's approach towards the record is what's the most interesting part here: it definitely feels sensual, airy,fragile, but in a inviting way. Tender atmosphere surrounds all those songs and her voice is mostly breezy which I appreciate the most. Before album dropped, I hold huge like towards all previously released songs: GTFO was really nice introduction to the whole era ( now that I listened to whole project ). With You was being dismissed by fans, because it allegedly is not suitable enough as a lead single, but I disagreed then and re-listening the song, I am now even more inclined to think it definitely is in the top half. A No No is definitely felt like most infectious out of them and I appreciate her shady, ironical take on it. The Distance seemed like the most forgettable then, but it fits now well. 

I was mostly interested in how will title track and Portrait sound and the later is probably the best ballad on the record, most emotionally charged and lyrically top notch. Caution feels like prequel to the GTFO again with that snarky approach, maybe less infectious, but still being few cuts above decent. 

Stay Long Love You has featuring that goes well with the rest of the song, even though rap verse feels a little bit uninspired, but it is catchy. It is actually as infectious as A No No and feels like she is finally activating full sensual mode on, doing everything she said she was going to do. 

When I wrote that Portrait takes the cake, I obviously forgot about Giving Me Life and 8th Grade. Giving Me Life is so nicely structured, you just don't feel that the song is over-long and I would add that outro and whole last minute of it is one of the most fascinating parts of the song and album as a whole. 8th Grade is not loosing battle with Portrait in being emotionally driven, fragile experience. 

One Mo' Gen felt like the track that caught my interest the least, even though I consider its verses as the strong moments here. 

Runaway would actually be nice addition to the standard version. I like its up-beat, kind of empowering vibe with pre-chorus being the highest watermark. 

I understand why people were naming Caution ( as an album ) cohesive piece of work. All songs really do align well together and as I have already stated, they are tied with nice print of fragile, kind of chilly, yet heartfelt energy. 

undefined

So, upon first listen, it's definitely an improvement from Me. I Am., and is her most cohesive effort since The Emancipation of Mimi. I hope she sticks to shorter albums, as it leaves little room for filler content. It's definitely better than I was expecting, however, I do wish she'd had done something a bit more... different? But she definitely did good with this one, and am hoping for her sake she doesn't take another four-plus years to make a follow up, though, it does seem like extended periods of time benefits her and the music she produces.

Portrait may or may not have made me cry last night, Mariah really put her foot on my neck with this album fuck. Mariah Carey is a fucking legend and everyone will just accept the fact that she is. alex1

1 hour ago, Yoncé. said:

Portrait may or may not have made me cry last night, Mariah really put her foot on my neck with this album fuck. Mariah Carey is a fucking legend and everyone will just accept the fact that she is. alex1

if anyone says that she isnt a legend, they will find my hands around their throat alex1 

3 hours ago, Ruthless Love said:

undefined

So, upon first listen, it's definitely an improvement from Me. I Am., and is her most cohesive effort since The Emancipation of Mimi. I hope she sticks to shorter albums, as it leaves little room for filler content. It's definitely better than I was expecting, however, I do wish she'd had done something a bit more... different? But she definitely did good with this one, and am hoping for her sake she doesn't take another four-plus years to make a follow up, though, it does seem like extended periods of time benefits her and the music she produces.

I'm all for Caution praise but let's not slander Me. I Am (one of her best albums) at its expense. wendy4 

4 hours ago, Ghostface said:

All right, Hannibal Lecter gave initial listen to the album and consensus is that he is mostly pleased. 

First of all, I would like to point out how Mariah's approach towards the record is what's the most interesting part here: it definitely feels sensual, airy,fragile, but in a inviting way. Tender atmosphere surrounds all those songs and her voice is mostly breezy which I appreciate the most. Before album dropped, I hold huge like towards all previously released songs: GTFO was really nice introduction to the whole era ( now that I listened to whole project ). With You was being dismissed by fans, because it allegedly is not suitable enough as a lead single, but I disagreed then and re-listening the song, I am now even more inclined to think it definitely is in the top half. A No No is definitely felt like most infectious out of them and I appreciate her shady, ironical take on it. The Distance seemed like the most forgettable then, but it fits now well. 

I was mostly interested in how will title track and Portrait sound and the later is probably the best ballad on the record, most emotionally charged and lyrically top notch. Caution feels like prequel to the GTFO again with that snarky approach, maybe less infectious, but still being few cuts above decent. 

Stay Long Love You has featuring that goes well with the rest of the song, even though rap verse feels a little bit uninspired, but it is catchy. It is actually as infectious as A No No and feels like she is finally activating full sensual mode on, doing everything she said she was going to do. 

When I wrote that Portrait takes the cake, I obviously forgot about Giving Me Life and 8th Grade. Giving Me Life is so nicely structured, you just don't feel that the song is over-long and I would add that outro and whole last minute of it is one of the most fascinating parts of the song and album as a whole. 8th Grade is not loosing battle with Portrait in being emotionally driven, fragile experience. 

One Mo' Gen felt like the track that caught my interest the least, even though I consider its verses as the strong moments here. 

Runaway would actually be nice addition to the standard version. I like its up-beat, kind of empowering vibe with pre-chorus being the highest watermark. 

I understand why people were naming Caution ( as an album ) cohesive piece of work. All songs really do align well together and as I have already stated, they are tied with nice print of fragile, kind of chilly, yet heartfelt energy. 

Come through with the review! And now show us your purchase receipt! alex1

I'm not a Mariah fan but she did a great job on this one. There's something I appreciate about her, she always tries to sound current and relevant but still, with her own unique sound. The album it's pretty cohesive though maybe there's really nothing that stands out. They all sound a bit samey but that surely will change with more listenings. Those albums are always the best, not the ones you love first then get boring after a little while. "GTFO" is the best song for me, so sultry and sexy, her airy vocals are amazing.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.