QUINN

Katy Perry's 'SNL' Performance: Drag Queen Brenda Dharling Talks How It Happened

katy-perry-SNL-may-2017-billboard-1548.j

Saturday Night Live has drag fever. Not even a month after the cast did a sketch revolving around RuPaul’s Drag RaceKaty Perry invited several New York City-based drag queens and club kids to help her perform her new single, “Swish Swish.” Billboard talked to one of those performers, Brenda Dharling, about the auditioning process and Katy’s surprisingly strong handshake.

How did this performance come about?
Milan from RuPaul's Drag Race sent me an email saying that there was a gig on SNL and they're having auditions. I sent in my information and got invited to audition. I did a little improv for the choreographer, and the rest was history. I booked the gig. We didn't find out it was Katy Perry until we actually got there.

Did you rehearse with Katy beforehand?
Yeah, we rehearsed with Katy on Wednesday night. She flew in super late. We were rehearsing all day and they kept saying, “She's coming, she's coming.” It was like midnight when she finally got there. But we had a lead rehearsal and then we had a tech rehearsal with her at SNL studio.

What was she like?
The first night that she got here, she introduced herself to every single person in the whole room. Hand shakes. Eye contact. She really wanted to see who she was working with, you know what I mean? She has a very strong handshake -- I was kind of surprised. 

She was very sweet. There was a lot of waiting, but she was always reassuring, like, “Thank you guys so much, I appreciate it. I know you guys work at nighttime and you're here all day just waiting around.” She was really sweet for acknowledging us waiting. Plus, she's very creative and she wanted things done a certain way, which I get.

Source

54 minutes ago, QUINN said:

What was she like?
The first night that she got here, she introduced herself to every single person in the whole room. Hand shakes. Eye contact. She really wanted to see who she was working with, you know what I mean? She has a very strong handshake -- I was kind of surprised. 

She was very sweet. There was a lot of waiting, but she was always reassuring, like, “Thank you guys so much, I appreciate it. I know you guys work at nighttime and you're here all day just waiting around.” She was really sweet for acknowledging us waiting. Plus, she's very creative and she wanted things done a certain way, which I get.

Source

Sounds very Katy-like! demi1

Also interesting that people that were attacking her over unconfirmed rumours are paying this actual interview dust eve1

UPROXX reported World of Wonder's article, and Violet Chachki or whatever screenshotted the fake story and posted it on twitter to her wide audience, but has yet to correct her tweet..

Anyway,

There is a post on reddit about someone who was allegedly there:

I was there, and what was actually great was that Migos DID perform at that table with a whole bunch of very out and fabulous gay people, and they KNEW it, and that is called progress. It's true Katy could have cut them out, but instead, she manoeuvred the situation so that they did it. None of us liked it, because who really wants to deal with such a delicate notion of 'masculinity'? I know gay men who are a hundred times more 'manly' than these men. We do see change all the time on these issues, and it will always be a fight, and we will always have to speak up loud, and call it as we see it. It's amazing to me that anyone from any kind of minority, and especially an artist can clutch at such ignorant prejudice. I wish they weren't so prehistoric, but, one way or another these people will be dragged into this century, and, will eventually realise that if you are wearing a pink jacket covered in rhinestones, it definitely wasn't designed by a heterosexual. I think Katy did the RIGHT thing.
Back in the day when AIDS was raging like a wildfire and killed 80% of my friends - when people would hold their children close, and keep their gay uncles away, and waiters would handle dishes used by someone they thought was gay with extra care, one person changed that perception, overnight, you could say. At the time, she seemed the most unlikely source. Princess Diana held the hand of a man dying from AIDS. Prior to that moment in her life, I just saw her as another, useless parasitic royal. I am in NO WAY equating those rappers being 'handled' into performing with Katy as the same thing, but, their stupid fans and followers will get to see that nobody burst into flames, everyone had a good time, and in the end, (soon, please, Goddess)it is no big deal where anyone puts their genitalia, or how they look.

source