Merryem

Why did Jewels & Drugs, Donatella, Fashion!, and Swine make the cut for ARTPOP?

That's my main issue with Artpop, some of the songs are BRILLIANT, while then there's those songs! brit9

To be fair, most of them aren't tragic per se, they just unnecessarily bulk up the tracklist.  

I really don't understand this JND hate bandwagon rih10 It has arguably the best instrumental of the whole album, its vibe is unparalleled by any Gaga track out there, and the lyrics are well done and memorable imo oprah13 Like, why is everyone in love with CLLG but not this? Makes no sense to me, esp. when CLLG's (even though I love it) lyrics are like 1000x more embarrassing and awkward mad5

Fashion! is one of the best songs on the album so bye at that um2

Donatella is absolutely mediocre but then the melodies and lyrics are effective and, again, memorable, so also don't get the hate for that um2

Swine has an absolutely amazing pre-chorus, strong verses, and a killer production so whut hottie1 I just don't see how those tracks are that terrible compared to literally everything else on the album..

I don't mind any of the songs on the album because for me, the album tells a very specific story with each song, so it's like all of them are substantial and necessary in some way aretha1

But yeah, to get back to the point, I don't understand how you can shit on those songs but then proclaim that Brooklyn Nights etc. were so much better omg that track in particular is at least equally basic and unimaginative brit0

10 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Swine has an absolutely amazing pre-chorus, strong verses, and a killer production so whut hottie1 I just don't see how those tracks are that terrible compared to literally everything else on the album..

Finally some justice for Swine is served!

1 hour ago, Lachlan said:

Finally some justice for Swine is served!

Its Swinefest performance remains one of the best, if not the best, recent performance of hers ahs1 I get how you could dislike the song, but come on, regardless of your opinion of it, it remains impressive how she managed to inject so much palpable emotion and rage into an EDM party track rih10 It's literally what ARTPOP was all about.

To go back to Fashion!, I always felt like that was one of her most important tracks from a lyrical perspective, I think it's really intimate and introspective actually aretha1 Like, these:

I take it off, I put it on
I feel alive when I transform
But this love's not material
Now take it in and turn me on
Zip me up, it can't be wrong
'cause your new look's ethereal

um2

It's a key part of the whole album, for me the whole Swine — Donatella — Fashion! — MJH — Dope — Gypsy sequence is a very clear biographical story about how she tried to deal with her trauma and how that eventually resulted in a mental cataclysm brit12 Obviously her love for transformation reached a dangerous form in MJH with all of its consequences. Like, how can you discard all of that content by suggesting that eh this song isn't cool, let's throw it out and replace it, I still feel like too many LMs treat that album in particular as some thrown together Britney thing when to me it's clear it should be approached as a piece regardless of your personal opinion about the quality of the music cry3

End rant. That album gets me so defensive omg. Not even my Gaga fav but.

I really like ARTPOP. I don't think that there are really awful tracks on the album, but some don't fit or/and are unnecessary. She could just have made it a 12/13 tracks album and I think it would have maybe got better reviews.

I don't like Jewels and Drugs at all. I skip Donatella quite often because I don't like it either (though it's not as bad as Jewels N Drugs) and Dope too simply because it doesn't fit with the rest of the album: when I listen to ARTPOP i generally want to dance and not to listen to some ballad with weird vocals. Have no problem with Swine and Fashion! whatsoever.

My ideal tracklist :) :

Spoiler

01-Aura (with demo vocals please :) )

02-Venus

03-G.U.Y.

04-Sexxx Dreams

05-MANiCURE

06-Do What U Want

07-ARTPOP

08-Swine

09-Fashion!

10-Mary Jane Holland

11-Princess Die (I loved that song!! If only her label hadn't pressured her to cut the song from her album...)

12-Gypsy

13-Applause

I disagree with Swine, the lyrics alone are very clever, and the instrumental and vocal layering is amazing, my only pet peeve with the song is the buildup before the instrumental chorus, which I find totally extra.

But regarding the other songs, I agree, they are some of Gaga's worst work in her entire discography. IMO the album would've received a much better critical reception without JnD, Fashion! and Donatella (which is cute, but not up to par with the rest). I would also replace MJH with Stache (the lyrics would need to be tweaked tho).

21 hours ago, jacs vs looser said:

I disagree with Swine, the lyrics alone are very clever, and the instrumental and vocal layering is amazing, my only pet peeve with the song is the buildup before the instrumental chorus, which I find totally extra.

But regarding the other songs, I agree, they are some of Gaga's worst work in her entire discography. IMO the album would've received a much better critical reception without JnD, Fashion! and Donatella (which is cute, but not up to par with the rest). I would also replace MJH with Stache (the lyrics would need to be tweaked tho).

mary jane godlland is the best song she's ever released so try again

I actually really like Swine. I know it's a mess. But the bass is awesome. Totally agree on the others though.

And even though I think Artpop is objectively her worst album it's the only one in her discography I still listen to regularly, even tho I have them all sans Joanne. The good moments really elevate it.

Posted from my iPhone using the FOTP app

ARTPOP and its tracklist were literally changed at the last minute. It was gonna be very very different but they changed it all to make sure it was as safe and Radio-friendly as possible. This disagreement between Gaga and her management led to her firing Troy Carter. 

2 hours ago, Yzma said:

ARTPOP and its tracklist were literally changed at the last minute. It was gonna be very very different but they changed it all to make sure it was as safe and Radio-friendly as possible. This disagreement between Gaga and her management led to her firing Troy Carter. 

There's literally 3 radio-friendly songs on ARTPOP... Applause, Gypsy, and Do What U Want. So their logic behind that was insanely stupid.