Mariah's 19 #1s

Who is more acclaimed? Madonna or Michael Jackson?

Who is more acclaimed? Madonna or Michael Jackson?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more acclaimed? Madonna or Michael Jackson?

• Michael Jackson
    • Madonna

11 hours ago, ShutUpRae said:

Bias? Where? brit9 It's not like i'm saying MJ is better than Madonna or anything, only that he wasn't really outlasted by Madge when you include his jackson 5 years. I know invincible was a flop but i wouldn't completely write it off either, it's a matter of opinion of whether or not he was still truly "relevant" during that era or not which was also his retirement era. If you do write it off then that would be 1979 - 1996 or so not including his boyband years or his first 4 solo flop albums, 2 of which had some top 5 hits on them.

Shut up, Rae!

11 hours ago, ShutUpRae said:

Bias? Where? brit9 

You're including MJ's flop, distancing him from floppage, saying he had no promo, while you're also excluding Madonna's successful album, that also had no promo. Her star power that translated into the biggest solo tour of all time. 

Perfect example of how differently they have been treated, MJ and Madonna, females and males overall. 

which was also his retirement era

Except it wasn't at the time. He ended up 'retiring' because of everything that happened after that album, constant negative press, constant accusations, decline in both artistic and commercial ways. We know he was obsessed with sales and success, wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the reasons he decided not to make new album.

5 minutes ago, Angelus said:

You're including MJ's flop, distancing him from floppage, saying he had no promo, while you're also excluding Madonna's successful album, that also had no promo. Her star power that translated into the biggest solo tour of all time. 

Perfect example of how differently they have been treated, MJ and Madonna, females and males overall. 

Except it wasn't at the time. He ended up 'retiring' because of everything that happened after that album, constant negative press, constant accusations, decline in both artistic and commercial ways. We know he was obsessed with sales and success, wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the reasons he decided not to make new album.

MJ was also going to release 7 singles + short films from Invincible. It was most definitely NOT his retirement era and he had far more things planned.

It was the whole Sony and not wanting to tour the US shit that destroyed the album.

9 hours ago, Angelus said:

Damn i stated from the beginning that it depends if you want to include mj's flop or not jj3 My whole point was would you still consider him irrelevant or not by 2001? Wasn't even implying that Invincible was anywhere near hard candy's success, but you should already know someone's album can be a hit or flop and that it has no effect on if they're relevant or not and vice versa, just look at P!nk for example. I guess i should have stated what i meant by "pure pop relevance", meaning being relevant outside your fanbase and relevant to the GP with your music. I don't know how relevant hard candy was outside of madonna's fanbase.

Don't turn this into a sexism issue or something cause that's not what i was doing at all.

14 minutes ago, ShutUpRae said:

Damn i stated from the beginning that it depends if you want to include mj's flop or not jj3 My whole point was would you still consider him irrelevant or not by 2001? Wasn't even implying that Invincible was anywhere near hard candy's success, but you should already know someone's album can be a hit or flop and that it has no effect on if they're relevant or not and vice versa, just look at P!nk for example. I guess i should have stated what i meant by "pure pop relevance", meaning being relevant outside your fanbase and relevant to the GP with your music. I don't know how relevant hard candy was outside of madonna's fanbase.

HC was far more relevant outside her stanbase since it was one of the best selling albums of that year WW, it had GLOBAL #1 single, 4M was at some point the biggest video on youtube, tour was the biggest ever for a solo artist etc.

Invincible sold as much as Madonna's cash-in release GHV2 that had NO new songs, no singles, no promo at all. Twisting now this to 'it doesn't matter if it flopped, he was relevant as an artist' is pathetic since same excuse could be used for Madonna since she WILL always be relevant as an artist weather she was selling millions or not. 

3 minutes ago, Angelus said:

Twisting now this to 'it doesn't matter if it flopped, he was relevant as an artist' is pathetic since same excuse could be used for Madonna since she WILL always be relevant as an artist weather she was selling millions or not. 

Ok but what you aren't getting is that i'm asking you if he was relevant or not during invincible and you keep dodging it jay1

No one said that it didn't matter if it flopped, only that it's possible to flop and still be relevant. And that being relevant in your stanbase and outside of it are two different things, imo. If Hard Candy was relevant outside of Madonna's fanbase then so be it. If you don't want to include Michael's boyband years then yes Madge outlasted him.

12 minutes ago, ShutUpRae said:

Ok but what you aren't getting is that i'm asking you if he was relevant or not during invincible and you keep dodging it jay1

No one said that it didn't matter if it flopped, only that it's possible to flop and still be relevant. And that being relevant in your stanbase and outside of it are two different things, imo. If Hard Candy was relevant outside of Madonna's fanbase then so be it. If you don't want to include Michael's boyband years then yes Madge outlasted him.

Well as someone who experienced that era i can honestly say that he wasn't. I remember seeing maybe few times video for YRMY and that was it. There was no hype, no bandwagon... He was seen as artist from the past. 

As Invincible has come up a lot (yes it was MJ's bad album as the King of Pop), yes I agree it was his most disastrous era. BUT fairness where fairness is due. It is difficult to really predict what the rest of that era had in store. He planned a monster 7 singles + short films (most likely shut down by only 1 of the 3 released singles making any sort of impact) and he had a US tour planned, but this was dropped after 9/11. I will say that the Invincible era was, as is, beyond disappointing and a big stain on his musical legacy. Had it gone the way it was intended, it could have been different. And if the This Is It era was going to be as incredible as the footage and the hyping of his team made it seem, that could have elevated him way up above later career Madonna. But, as we know, that's not what happened.  

12 hours ago, Spencer Pratt said:

anyway michael is more acclaimed and is the bigger household name even in death

Somebody's mad that they're losing their own argument

I personally think that Micheal Jackson is, and I also think he's the obvious answer. Even with Madonna being a legend, she could never match his life, or music. His controversies were even more genuine and effortless chi1

6 hours ago, KING TITO said:

I personally think that Micheal Jackson is, and I also think he's the obvious answer. Even with Madonna being a legend, she could never match his life, or music. His controversies were even more genuine and effortless chi1

His controversies were disgusting, from being pedophile, changing skin color, to almost killing his baby.

Madonna's controversies were her artistic choices and most of them were controversial because she was a woman.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The sexism in your list is one of the reasons why Michael were more acclaimed than Madonna. Yet, he were bashed plenty times throughout his career and personal life too.

Well if we look at acclaimedmusic web that has all all time ranking lists etc. Overall: #27 Madonna #31 MJ   Albums: #49 MJ #74 Madonna   Singles: #12

* 13 Grammy's * Won record & album of the year * Way more talented in all fields, as a musician, actor, director, writer, producer * Respected universally in multiple music fields (

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.