Infrared

Nylon Magazine : Katy Perry Is Struggling To Stay Relevant—And It Shows

“When did Katy Perry become so insufferable?” It’s a question my friend posed to me a couple of weeks back, maybe around the release of “Bon Appetit,” and it’s one I revisited during Perry’s now-viral SNL performance of the same song. She’s dancing on top of a table with Quavo, Offset, and Takeoff and, at one point, she starts miming the universal sign for money, dramatically lip-synchs, and attempts a half-hearted dab.It’s like a bad car accident, it hurts to look, but we strain our necks for a better view anyway. And it’s a perfect example of what’s come to be known as Witness-era Katy, a persona which has people like my friend—and many others—wondering, Why she is doing this? 

She’s trying to appeal to black culture by throwing Migos and Minaj on mediocre tracks. And then, oh, having beef with fellow artists is cool again? Let me stir up some dated drama. It all feels so contrived. And her one recent action that seemed genuine, her backing of Hillary Clinton for president, started to feel questionable once it seemed that Perry was using her political wokeness to transition into her new professional phase as a purveyor of “purposeful pop.” 

Witness comes out tomorrow. Consequence of Sound has already described it as “perfectly competent, but by the second listen, your finger might be itching for the skip button,” a sentiment which seems to also apply to this phase of Perry’s career. Because what it looks like we’re actually bearing witness to right now is an artist grasping for relevance, and coming up short.

https://www.nylon.com/articles/katy-perry-witness-era?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nylon

wow this is truly her ARTPOP era 

Image result for nene tea gif

7 minutes ago, Kenya said:

Absolutely disgusting.

The thing is that Katy hasn't done anything wrong. I think, yes, the label wanted her to appeal the urban crowd, but it was one single and is out of context from the album. 

and since when is working with Nicki Minaj appealing to the black crowd laughcry1  She should've never worked with Migos and I guess she's learned to keep politics out her music.

If we want to talk about tacky cultural pandering, we can look at the Bangerz era. 

Every pop star has the moment when their career is crashing. Michael, Madonna, Janet, and Mariah all went through this, so Katy can survive. If Witness (song) is a hit, then all these articles will look painfully dumb dead2 

Just now, Red said:

The thing is that Katy hasn't done anything wrong. I think, yes, the label wanted her to appeal the urban crowd, but it was one single and is out of context from the album. 

and since when is working with Nicki Minaj appealing to the black crowd laughcry1  She should've never worked with Migos and I guess she's learned to keep politics out her music.

If we want to talk about tacky cultural pandering, we can look at the Bangerz era. 

Every pop star has the moment when their career is crashing. Michael, Madonna, Janet, and Mariah all went through this, so Katy can survive. If Witness (song) is a hit, then all these articles will look painfully dumb dead2 

The article is clearly biased rip2. The Migos shit has really impacted her imagine negatively tbh. I don't really get the Hillary hate? So many other pop music artists campaigned and performed for Hillary, so I'm not sure why she is getting all the heat for it. 

Her next single HAS to be a hit so bitches like taylor bryant will stfu lol

1 minute ago, Kenya said:

The article is clearly biased rip2. The Migos shit has really impacted her imagine negatively tbh. I don't really get the Hillary hate? So many other pop music artists campaigned and performed for Hillary, so I'm not sure why she is getting all the heat for it. 

Because she was the most outspoken. She was at the DNC & performed. She was the main pop star that campaigned for her.

1 minute ago, Red said:

CTTR had a feature too...

all of her singles from this era had features from rent-a-rapper(s)..... 

3 minutes ago, Kenya said:

It wasn't that she was for Hillary that was the problem. It's that she argued there would be purposeful pop - and listening to the album, most of the tracks stayed away from that. 

That's what killed the ARTPOP era. Everyone thought she was pretentious and missed her own point. Whereas, Born This Way, she was pretentious too, but she still served one of the most political pop albums of the decade. It still hurt her career though. 

When you do political music, you have to go in for the kill. Lemonade was able to do it because she dropped it all at once and had a stellar film to accompany the album, even though 2 songs only referred to the topic of African Americans.

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

Because she was the most outspoken. She was at the DNC & performed. She was the main pop star that campaigned for her.

it is not only because of her supporting Hillary though... let's not make it only about politics.. katy's moves during this era are simply way off. 

1 minute ago, Beaux said:

it is not only because of her supporting Hillary though... let's not make it only about politics.. katy's moves during this era are simply way off. 

Oh, I know that. I was just answering the question of why she's getting all the Hillary flack and not anyone else.

1 minute ago, Red said:

It wasn't that she was for Hillary that was the problem. It's that she argued there would be purposeful pop - and listening to the album, most of the tracks stayed away from that. 

That's what killed the ARTPOP era. Everyone thought she was pretentious and missed her own point. Whereas, Born This Way, she was pretentious too, but she still served one of the most political pop albums of the decade. It still hurt her career though. 

When you do political music, you have to go in for the kill. Lemonade was able to do it because she dropped it all at once and had a stellar film to accompany the album, even though 2 songs only referred to the topic of African Americans.

purposeful =/= political ?

it reminds me of bieber's purpose, lol

but yes, she made it as if it (the album) will be political, with all this "normalize" "won't subscribe" stuff..

2 minutes ago, Beaux said:

CTTR had a feature too...

all of her singles from this era had features from rent-a-rapper(s)..... 

But Skip is relatively unknown, especially in the urban scene. What was nice about him was that he was someone out of left field. He should've been the only feature.

She should have done another with Alessia or Ariana. Even one with a solo male.

Migos/Quavo and Nicki are on about 10+ songs this year - in fact Quavo has 10 songs on Billboard right now and Nicki just did a 9 minute medley. They are overexposed and oversaturated so Katy took the hit from being away from music so long. 

8 minutes ago, Beaux said:

purposeful =/= political ?

it reminds me of bieber's purpose, lol

but yes, she made it as if it (the album) will be political, with all this "normalize" "won't subscribe" stuff..

Purposeful doesn't have to be political, but when your first single is aimed at the President, it'll always go back to that.

I honestly couldn't tell you what Witness is serving thematically. Its biggest problem is that Katy hasn't had any inner conflict or big struggles these past 4 years to sing about. It's typical love songs.

Whereas

Joanne was influenced by her breakup with Taylor

Lemonade was influenced by Black Lives Matter and Jay "cheating"

Revival was Selena transitioning into an adult pop star

1989 - same thing

Purpose - same thing

Dangerous Woman - same thing 

In terms of purposeful pop, Prism was far better. Turning 30 is major in the pop world and she should've hit AC as she was big there. 

I could see this being her Blackout. An underrated era that will be favorable in the end. 

1 minute ago, Red said:

But Skip is relatively unknown, especially in the urban scene. What was nice about him was that he was someone out of left field. He should've been the only feature.

She should have done another with Alessia or Ariana. Even one with a solo male.

Migos/Quavo and Nicki are on about 10+ songs this year - in fact Quavo has 10 songs on Billboard right now and Nicki just did a 9 minute medley. They are overexposed and oversaturated so Katy took the hit from being away from music so long. 

I don't think it was her break, artists can take a break and get back to where they left off just fine..... if adele can do it then katy can do it, i simply think her moves were all wrong, she pissed off the black community (racist insensitive comments), she pissed off the LGBT community (collaborating with homophobic just after being awarded for her LGBT contributions), she pissed off feminists (swish swish!), she pissed off trump supporters (she picked the wrong side!), she pissed off parents (BA was painted as if it was promoting cannibalism, also she should have known about pizzagate), she pissed off many of ppl with her comments about britney's mental struggles, etc... 

a bad move after a bad move.

2 minutes ago, Red said:

Purposeful doesn't have to be political, but when your first single is aimed at the President, it'll always go back to that.

I honestly couldn't tell you what Witness is serving thematically. Its biggest problem is that Katy hasn't had any inner conflict or big struggles these past 4 years to sing about. It's typical love songs.

Whereas

Joanne was influenced by her breakup with Taylor

Lemonade was influenced by Black Lives Matter and Jay "cheating"

Revival was Selena transitioning into an adult pop star

1989 - same thing

Purpose - same thing

Dangerous Woman - same thing 

In terms of purposeful pop, Prism was far better. Turning 30 is major in the pop world and she should've hit AC as she was big there. 

I could see this being her Blackout. An underrated era that will be favorable in the end. 

The real gag is that Prism had more "purpose" and witness can be described as a "dark album"...

You're absolutely right in this whole post. lj1 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is just heartbreaking, this is worse than ARTPOP at this point  

Purposeful doesn't have to be political, but when your first single is aimed at the President, it'll always go back to that. I honestly couldn't tell you what Witness is serving thematically. Its

Feminism, self-empowerment and a sense of "awakening". That's what Witness is about. Songs like Hey Hey Hey, Power and Bon Appétit are female empowerment songs. She talks about the way women are

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.