Jony

Katy acknowledges and apologizes for cultural appropriation

During the podcast at www, she got asked about race issues and cultural appropriation. She mentioned that she was wrong for the hair she had in the TIHWD video and that Japanese performance at the AMAs, said she had pure intentions, didn't know what she was actually doing or why it was wrong until people educated her. Also apologized for the Obama joke she made a couple months ago on IG live.

Any sensible person would know she wasn't doing it with malicious intent. The Japanese theme was tip toeing on the line a bit but she obviously did that to pay respect to the culture, not make fun of it. Kinda sad how people won't let it go but oh well.

1 minute ago, Maraj said:

Thank god she finally said something about this now people can stop bringing it up every chance they can get. dead2 

She is doing so many right things these days! She said she loves Taylor, she aplogized for her Obama and Britney comments and cultural appropiation!!

23 minutes ago, Jake said:

The fact that wearing a hairstyle gets you in trouble these days

Fucking hate Tumblr

ny12 

The mere fact that cornrows are being renamed by white people as ~trendy~ "Kardashian braids" or "boxer braids" after being considered ghetto and unattractive when on black people immediately shows the level of appropriation involved in that particular hairstyle. Fuck off with your privilege.

1 minute ago, Melt Away said:

ny12 

The mere fact that cornrows are being renamed by white people as ~trendy~ "Kardashian braids" or "boxer braids" after being considered ghetto and unattractive when on black people immediately shows the level of appropriation involved in that particular hairstyle. Fuck off with your privilege.

Privilege? I'm black myself. I agree on your point that it's horrible when they try to rename cornrows as Boxer Braids or something, but they literally dragged her for simply wearing them. That's what I'm getting at.

I think it's amazing that she's really taking time to acknowledge something like this and not just glossing over it. Some people did way too much on her over this and it's clear she had no bad intentions. Still, it's just refreshing to hear someone like her speak about this and acknowledge her mistakes genuinely. I don't get how people could genuinely hate her as a person.

Literally everything these days is "cultural appropriation". I certainly agree that people calling cornrows "Kardashian Braids" and stuff like that is a big issue but her Japanese themed performance wasn't imo. 

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Katy had no malicious intentions with that. 

People get so butt hurt over everything these days though. It's ridiculous. 

As someone who has always had a bone to pick with Katy because of some of the messy ways she approached certain cultures, I am truly proud of her for taking the time to learn from her previous actions and educate herself. I really appreciate and respect her for this, so good for her and hopefully she'll keep it up.

35 minutes ago, Hannah said:

Any sensible person would know she wasn't doing it with malicious intent. The Japanese theme was tip toeing on the line a bit but she obviously did that to pay respect to the culture, not make fun of it. Kinda sad how people won't let it go but oh well.

And majority of the people she apparently "appropriated" weren't actually mad about it, they just thought it was awesome and wondered why people were angry about it.

She clearly did not portray their culture in a negative light, so why get angry in the first place?

The best thing to come out of this live stream situation is that all these media outlets are coming to her and their conversations are being streamed in full, and can't be taken out of context. It's a refreshing break for her. I really enjoyed this podcast segment because the guy was super fair to her and gave her opportunities to learn AND explain herself when necessary. and he also accepted her questions and such.

The interview segment right before that one though was such a mess, and the woman kept baiting her for answers that could be spun a certain way. That's what gets her into these messes in the first place and she's so aware of it now. Love it. I hope she continues to make opportunities for herself to be heard the way she intends to be heard. 

1 hour ago, Melt Away said:

ny12 

Who considered them ghetto and unattractive though? interesting1 I've not in my 23 years of life heard a negative comment about how "ghetto" a hairstyle is and I've genuinely lived in the ghetto. chi1

I know I'm not the majority of people but where's the science behind the validity of your claim? The "being considered unattractive on black people". 

Side note: I am genuinely just putting in my input and am not looking to stir the pot

i can't fucking stand Tumblr cronies

I still think this katy5 is worse than a kimono, but all of our faves have been a bit messy on the political side so I let Katy pass. What pisses me off still about Katy is how she acted with Migos in those pictures together, posing "thug" ew2