Dennis Reynolds

Alama Drafthouse is getting sued over the women-only Wonder Woman screenings

A New York law professor has sued a theater chain for discriminating against men with women-only screenings of “Wonder Woman.”

Stephen Clark, 48, decided to sue Alamo Drafthouse after seeing a wave of complaints on the theater’s Facebook page.

“There was a vibrant argument happening on Facebook,” Clark told The Washington Post. “But when the theater responded to complaints, they were pretty snide about it and willing to mock anyone who had a complaint and that really struck me.”

The Albany Law School professor added, “There is also the fact that what they were doing is illegal.”

Alamo theaters across the country held the exclusive screenings and sold out quickly, the chain said on its website.

“Apologies, gentlemen, but we’re embracing our girl power and saying ‘No Guys Allowed’ for one special night at the Alamo Ritz,” the theater’s Austin location wrote on its website. “And when we say ‘People Who Identify As Women Only,’ we mean it. Everyone working at this screening — venue staff, projectionist, and culinary team — will be female.”

Other women-only screenings were also held in Brooklyn.

Clark’s lawsuit accuses Alamo of not just discriminating against male customers – but also male employees by staffing only women.

“It’s the principle of the thing,” he said. “I’m a gay man and I’ve studied and taught gay rights for years. Our gay bars have long said that you do not exclude people because they’re gay or straight or transgender — you just can’t do that for any reason.”

Clark further explained, “We have to deal with the bachelorette parties that come to the gay bar,” he added. “They’re terribly disruptive, but if you forbid women from coming to a gay bar, you’re starting down a slippery slope. It’s discrimination.”

On Facebook, unimpressed men railed against the Alamo in Austin.

“Great, let us know when you have guys-only screenings of Thor, Spider-Man, Star Wars, etc. Let’s see you walk the walk now that you set this precedence,” Mike Canales wrote.

The theater responded, “Very sorry if you feel excluded. We thought it might be kinda fun — for one screening — to celebrate a character who’s meant a great deal to women for close to eight decades. Again, truly, truly, truly, truly sorry that we’ve offended you.”

“Wonder Woman,” which was directed by Patty Jenkins and stars Gal Gadot as the title character, is the first superhero flick with a woman in lead role since 2005’s “Elektra.”

http://nypost.com/2017/06/07/movie-theater-sued-for-women-only-wonder-woman-screenings/?utm_content=inf_4_2731_2&utm_source=tsefacebook&utm_medium=tsefb&utm_campaign=tse&tse_id=INF_03461fb04d4c11e7914c7bbd6ac2df54

I thought the one screening was cool (because really, how does that affect anyone negatively?), but I sorta see his point if they're scheduling multiple screenings, and also if they're only staffing one gender for these shifts that is definitely a slippery slope. Suing is kind of an overreaction imo and it's pretty obvious that the theater chain had no malicious intent, but I guess we should try to have less "No ___ allowed/____ only" stuff in general.

I'm about to have an unpopular opinion here, but here me out. This is exactly how discrimination starts and continues. All the same "oh but they can just get over themselves there are other screenings that are just as good" can be used and misconstrued in so many ways. It would just be a matter of time before all men screenings happened or all teen or all whatever you name it. If people felt comfortable banning genders you know some doofus would start race-only showings. Even if it seems harmless t's discrimination and thats that. Do I think that the idea of having an all-women screening is a bad thing or that these men haven't overreacted? No. But I'd had to see this "blank only" screenings turn messier and messier so might as well get a definitive court ruling to end all of these social media bickerings. Anyways those are my feelings take them as a grain of salt.

99xgmWs.gif

2 minutes ago, Breathless Mahoney said:

But you're a man, man! jj2 

yes i am!!! and i LOVE getting my gender mad!!!! 

4 minutes ago, Don Draper said:

Businesses can legally refuse services so he doesn't have a case

Just take your money elsewhere if you don't like it rip4

That's not how it works though rip4 You can't refuse service to someone based on race, gender, religion or if they have some sort of disability. In a lot of places you can't refuse service based on sexual orientation either.

But yea, ultimately I agree that it really isn't that big of a deal, who they let into their theater at certain times really doesn't change my life in any way.

So like, what do these guys think of sororities? Girl Scouts? Are those groups oppressing men too? It was ONE screening of ONE movie at ONE theater in Texas. It is not going to lead to some epidemic of everyone suddenly segregating each other by gender.

7 minutes ago, Hannah said:

So like, what do these guys think of sororities? Girl Scouts? Are those groups oppressing men too? It was ONE screening of ONE movie at ONE theater in Texas. It is not going to lead to some epidemic of everyone suddenly segregating each other by gender.

I agree that this probably wasn't gonna be the catalyst for some wave of segregation (either way), but they actually did add at least a handful of more women-only screenings and there was apparently at least one more location in Brooklyn that was gonna do the same thing. But still really, I don't think it matters that much rip4 Do a screening only for people named Rick, Karen or Joe for all I care, it ain't gonna change my life sia2 

Who knew that a one-day women-only screening of a movie that empowers women could hurt a man's ego so much. It already happened, so he should just move on. rip4