Lachlan

#LachlanREVIEWS - Dangerously In Love (2003)

The revered and controversial review series returns to FOTP for Mrs Carter! Starting off with her solo debut, Dangerously In Love.

gOutgQW.png

Crazy In Love (feat. Jay-Z) – 10/10
Fantastic, show-stopping, shit on it, vomit on it, whatever Gaga said that one time. This song is an absolute classic. Hook after hook, and hey Jay-Z doesn’t even ruin it. The opening of this song will never not pump me the fuck up!

Naughty Girl – 10/10
Over my time on this forum I have come across some very different opinions on this song, so I’m here to lay down the facts! FACT: This song is perfect. FACT: The Donna Summer sample is excellent. FACT: Her head-voice whispering is amazing. FACT: A 10/10!

Baby Boy (feat. Sean Paul) – 8/10
Funny to listen to this in 2017 when Sean Paul is having a renaissance of sorts. This is a bop, and I can definitely get down it but overall it’s just not as strong as the other singles from the record. Those “bye bye bye bye” ad-libs towards the end save my life though.

Hip-Hop Star (feat. Big Boi & Sleepy Brown) – 8/10
I actually highkey dig this song. I love the guitars that run throughout the song with her semi-whispery vocals in the verses. It’s like an unrefined version of Rockstar 101, that still bangs. If this song had a killer bridge from Beyoncé rather than a rap it could’ve even be a 9/10.

Be With You – 8/10
Everytime the melody of the first verse hits I’m reminded of some other song but I can never put my finger on it. Nevertheless, I love the groove of this song and the hook at 1:50, whew that’s gorgeous. I like the fact that this song feels quite effortlessly sensual without the lyrics being overt. The production accompanied by the violins at the end give me Erotica teas and I wish it continued for a tad longer.

Me, Myself and I – 7/10
This song is classic early 00s mid-tempo R&B, not that I’m complaining. I can imagine Aaliyah singing the track. This song is a sweetie, but it’s not #that song by any means.

Yes – 7/10
The production on this track is really interesting and as far as left-field as this album gets. In fact, the production really elevates this track. The lyrics have a cute concept too, tell that boy, Bey!

Signs (feat. Missy Elliot) – 8/10
God this chorus gets stuck in my head every single track I listen. I feel as though this song would be kinda hated by her stanbase but I really like it? Not sure where her star sign fetish materialised from but whatever! Missy could’ve had a bigger role in this song, tbh.

Speechless – 10/10
Oh look it’s the prequel to Rocket, and it’s just as good. Any 6-minute slow sex-jam is probably going to get a perfect score from me especially when that electric guitar interlude kicks in so let’s move right on before I turn straight!

That’s How You Like It (feat. Jay-Z) – 6/10
I really cannot wrap my head around this song – the production is like… the opposite of what I’d expect a Bey and Jay collaboration to sound like. That being said, I don’t hate it? In fact I think it’s quite cute. I just… don’t understand how this came about.

The Closer I Get to You (feat. Luther Vandross) – 6/10
Did like… every female popstar have a Disney-like ballad with some random guy at some point in their career? Again, I really don’t hate at all and their voices work so well together. It’s a nice enough song, although maybe like a minute or two shorter?

What’s It Gonna Be? – 4/10
And we arrive to the first proper filler of the album. This song really has no business being anything more than a b-side, especially considering the full album’s tracklist is over an hour long. There’s nothing awful about it – just not particularly thrilling.

Dangerously In Love 2 – 6/10
Ah the token 2000s pop girl Latin-influenced ballad, you can never really go wrong with one can you? I quite like this track, everything flows well and it’s just all around a nice song.

Gift from Virgo – 4/10
Ms Virgo makes a return in the form of a forgettable song. It kind of feels like a sequel to DIL sonically, but less special.

Daddy – 6/10
Why is this song so viciously hated? The melodies are gorgeous and the lyrics are sweet. There’s most definitely worse ballads out there.

THE TRINITY: Crazy In Love, Naughty Girl, Speechless
#LachlanDELETES: What's It Gonna Be, Gift from Virgo
OVERALL SCORE: 72/100

5 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

Be With You – 8/10
Everytime the melody of the first verse hits I’m reminded of some other song but I can never put my finger on it. Nevertheless, I love the groove of this song and the hook at 1:50, whew that’s gorgeous. I like the fact that this song feels quite effortlessly sensual without the lyrics being overt. The production accompanied by the violins at the end give me Erotica teas and I wish it continued for a tad longer.

um this is a ten um2 

5 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

Me, Myself and I – 7/10
This song is classic early 00s mid-tempo R&B, not that I’m complaining. I can imagine Aaliyah singing the track. This song is a sweetie, but it’s not #that song by any means.

Yes – 7/10
The production on this track is really interesting and as far as left-field as this album gets. In fact, the production really elevates this track. The lyrics have a cute concept too, tell that boy, Bey!

@Anna-wa @Diamond

will be pissed

6 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

Speechless – 10/10
Oh look it’s the prequel to Rocket, and it’s just as good. Any 6-minute slow sex-jam is probably going to get a perfect score from me especially when that electric guitar interlude kicks in so let’s move right on before I turn straight!

stan cry6 

Signs is amazing too and I will not take any slander clap1 

2 minutes ago, Beaux said:

BABY BOY IS A BAWP, U DID HA WRONG

cry5 

It got a good score though. wendy1 

1 minute ago, Royale said:

You've been very generous with Daddy I see, because I definetly don't see what's "georgeous" in this song! 

tumblr_lzo969miII1qbs902o1_400.gif

I wish Royale would grow up to be more like my daddy.

1 minute ago, Lord Stoneheart said:

um this is a ten um2 

@Anna-wa @Diamond

will be pissed

stan cry6 

Signs is amazing too and I will not take any slander clap1 

7s are still good scores. wendy1 

3 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

It got a good score though. wendy1 

I wish Royale would grow up to be more like my daddy.

7s are still good scores. wendy1 

those are their fave tracks tho. I'd be careful Anna doesnt drag often but when she does she goes in for the kill jay1

What's your sign Australian legend? wendy1 

oh nvm I just remembered you said literally today on the Legends Only Lounge it was one of these days jay1 

Just now, Lord Stoneheart said:

those are their fave tracks tho. I'd be careful Anna doesnt drag often but when she does she goes in for the kill jay1

What's your sign Australian legend? wendy1 

I'm a Gemini, birthday in a few days. sob1 I might not survive the wrath of Anna-wa though!

Just now, Lachlan said:

I'm a Gemini, birthday in a few days. sob1 I might not survive the wrath of Anna-wa though!

yeah I had remembered just after I hit send you talked about it literally today on the sektion jay1

I fear Anna tbh. She's all kind and loving but when she drags she goes in for the kill

Me, Myself and I deserves a higher score sob1 

Stan Speechless though! It's so underrated and even though a lot of people complain about the length I think it's perfect! cry6 If you like 6-minute R&B sex jams, you must love Dance for You too cry6 

btw @Lachlan I love your avi <3

18 minutes ago, Diamond said:

Me, Myself and I deserves a higher score sob1 

Stan Speechless though! It's so underrated and even though a lot of people complain about the length I think it's perfect! cry6 If you like 6-minute R&B sex jams, you must love Dance for You too cry6 

btw @Lachlan I love your avi <3

Speechless -> Dance for You -> Rocket

She did that!