jdpm1991

Why don't critics like Katy's albums?

I would say her scores are pretty much understandable, but given the scores of recent Pop albums ( Joanne, Purpose, Anti, Glory, Confident, Dangerous Woman etc) It's absolutely hypocritical the way they treat Katy. It's like they charge her for essentially being a guilty pleasure but use that as an advantage for other Pop stars. It's annoying seeing several reviews talk about how they wanted more of the "woke" theme but then higlight Swish Swish as the best track of the album. brit4 Moronic.

4 minutes ago, Jjang said:

I would say her scores are pretty much understandable, but given the scores of recent Pop albums ( Joanne, Purpose, Anti, Glory, Confident, Dangerous Woman etc) It's absolutely hypocritical the way they treat Katy. It's like they charge her for essentially being a guilty pleasure but use that as an advantage for other Pop stars. It's annoying seeing several reviews talk about how they wanted more of the "woke" theme but then higlight Swish Swish as the best track of the album. brit4 Moronic.

ANTI, Glory, Joanne and Dangerous Woman deserved its scores. Confident and Purpose didnt

If we're looking at the other albums out right now too, I hated Joanne. That wasn't Gaga at all. It was some weird country bullshit and critics took it great! But it didn't sell well. Same thing with Dangerous Woman, everyone loved it and I thought it was trash. I haven't given Witness a full sit through but I can tell from what I heard, it wasn't Katy like I wanted. Katy's albums are always... different from this one. It's like she's TRYING to change herself but she doesn't realize she's too old for that shit now. MIley did it and it was cool because she was young enough to do whatever crazy shit she wanted...

TLDR: Katy is trying to be Miley and it won't work. Sorry but it's true. This music is NOT Katy. This music is fucking weird coming from her.

still waiting on that double album from 5 years ago tho tbh....

1 hour ago, Carcass said:

It's like she's TRYING to change herself but she doesn't realize she's too old for that shit now. MIley did it and it was cool because she was young enough to do whatever crazy shit she wanted...

are you being serious rn or ..... ?? tina1

As someone who's loved reading album reviews for years, I'm honestly dumbounded at Katy's reviews. I think the problem is critics don't know what they want from a Katy Perry album. Critics tend to like artists and albums with very cohesive and straightforward themes and sounds, which we know Katy doesn't really do.

What they don't seem to understand is that Katy's always been more than one thing. She can easily switch from escapist fluffy party jams to ace ballads and convincing inspirational anthems without breaking a sweat. Critics take this as a lack of cohesion and focus, but I take it as Katy showing off her versatility and wide range of emotions and personalities.

As far as Witness goes, I don't think I've ever seen such a huge amount of critics thoroughly missing the point of an album. Witness is about her waking up in all aspects of her life and wanting to share her newfound enlightenment and self-appreciation with someone else. Every critic is trying to use her calling this era "purposeful pop" as a reason to trash it because she didn't go full political, but that was never the intent. She didn't make blatant political songs because the album was about the actual "waking up" process, and the other songs have purpose in other ways.

Look, Witness is not a perfect album, I'm not an idiot, but it doesn't deserve these hilariously scathing reviews. I absolutely love it for its ambition and the sense that this artist is really trying to do something different, which no one is talking about. This was a very risky album for her to make, and she persisted anyway.

But TL;DR - A lot of critics nowadays are full of it. Teenage Dream, one of the most iconic albums of the last decade is now deemed "perfect" by the same people who dragged it and called it terrible upon release. As Katy said herself, time is the ultimate truth teller.

2 hours ago, DREAMPOP said:

are you being serious rn or ..... ?? tina1

Yes. she is only 32, but she's gonna get to a point where these attention seeking "changes" will outdate her. It happened to Madonna, and now she's trying to sell music with her 58 (pushing 60!!) year old sex life (which nobody wants to hear about her old ass pussy.)

1 hour ago, Liz Lemon said:

But TL;DR - A lot of critics nowadays are full of it. Teenage Dream, one of the most iconic albums of the last decade is now deemed "perfect" by the same people who dragged it and called it terrible upon release. As Katy said herself, time is the ultimate truth teller.

Literally meg1

4 hours ago, Liz Lemon said:

As someone who's loved reading album reviews for years, I'm honestly dumbounded at Katy's reviews. I think the problem is critics don't know what they want from a Katy Perry album. Critics tend to like artists and albums with very cohesive and straightforward themes and sounds, which we know Katy doesn't really do.

What they don't seem to understand is that Katy's always been more than one thing. She can easily switch from escapist fluffy party jams to ace ballads and convincing inspirational anthems without breaking a sweat. Critics take this as a lack of cohesion and focus, but I take it as Katy showing off her versatility and wide range of emotions and personalities.

As far as Witness goes, I don't think I've ever seen such a huge amount of critics thoroughly missing the point of an album. Witness is about her waking up in all aspects of her life and wanting to share her newfound enlightenment and self-appreciation with someone else. Every critic is trying to use her calling this era "purposeful pop" as a reason to trash it because she didn't go full political, but that was never the intent. She didn't make blatant political songs because the album was about the actual "waking up" process, and the other songs have purpose in other ways.

Look, Witness is not a perfect album, I'm not an idiot, but it doesn't deserve these hilariously scathing reviews. I absolutely love it for its ambition and the sense that this artist is really trying to do something different, which no one is talking about. This was a very risky album for her to make, and she persisted anyway.

Preach, this and no lies detected. This is the real bible dead2 you should publish this as an article and trash critics with it 

Critics are usually tied to their own biases and look more into the artist than the album. Had Gaga, Beyoncé or Taylor released this, the overall opinion would be much higher. Katy has always been reduced to the cute pop gal that churns out quick hits, so she's not credited as much for her artistry. Her recent image didn't help either, she's been torn down by the media and tbh critics took that more into evaluation than her actual album. 

They aren't always right as proven by their reception of TD. The album was TRASHED, yet so many of the songs went on to become pop classics. Teenage Dream, Cali Gurls & Firework are staple pop songs. Now the critics are suddenly praising it! jj2

10 hours ago, Liz Lemon said:

perfectly explained clap3

8 hours ago, AGNTEA said:

Preach, this and no lies detected. This is the real bible dead2 you should publish this as an article and trash critics with it 

2 hours ago, Kuba said:

perfectly explained clap3

Omg thank you I kinda just started typing and tea started spewing everywhere dead2