Dennis Reynolds

Carrie Fisher had cocaine, methadone, heroin and ecstasy in her system upon death, autopsy reveals

This is very surprising to me, to say the least. I'd assumed those days were long behind her, sad.

Carrie Fisher had cocaine, methadone, heroin and ecstasy in her system when she died in December, according to an autopsy report released Monday.

The coroner’s report listed sleep apnea as the primary cause of death, with drug intake as a contributing factor. The report stated that Fisher’s family objected to a full autopsy, and coroner’s investigators had access to limited toxicology specimens. The conclusions were based on toxicology results and an external examination of Fisher’s body.

Fisher died on Dec. 27, four days after going into cardiac arrest on an airplane arriving at LAX from London. The report states that Fisher’s assistant was on the plane with her. The assistant reported that she was awake and normal at the beginning of the flight, but had “multiple apneic episodes, which was her baseline” during the flight. At the end of the flight, she could not be awoken.

"Based on the available toxicological information, we cannot establish the significance of the multiple substances that were detected in Ms. Fisher’s blood and tissue, with regard to the cause of death,” the report states.

According to the report, Fisher may have ingested the cocaine as early as three days before the flight, adding to the uncertainty about the cause of death. The report also notes a likely exposure to heroin, which could have suppressed her breathing as she went into cardiac arrest.

In addition to the illegal drugs, Fisher was also taking Prozac, Abilify and Lamictal under prescription. She was also taking oxycodone without a prescription.

The report also notes that Fisher had a history of bipolar disorder and a long history of drug use.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/carrie-fisher-autopsy-cocaine-heroin-ecstasy-1202470282/

I know autopsy reports are public record but it still feels like we aren't supposed to know this, like it's an invasion of her privacy. I hope her family already knew about it and didn't have to find out this way. As sad as this is, I hope it brings attention to relapsing and it won't set a dark cloud over Carrie's legacy of being so open with her drug abuse struggles and helping other addicts.

6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I know autopsy reports are public record but it still feels like we aren't supposed to know this, like it's an invasion of her privacy. I hope her family already knew about it and didn't have to find out this way. As sad as this is, I hope it brings attention to relapsing and it won't set a dark cloud over Carrie's legacy of being so open with her drug abuse struggles and helping other addicts.

This. It feels wrong knowing this tbh

7 minutes ago, Carcass said:

Meth isn't methadone!!! Methadone is a prescription opioid and while it has a quick addicting effect, it's not meth. Meth is methamphetamines. Big difference. Someone please change that...

Ah, my mistake.