Kyoteki

CNN Facing Backlash After Pressuring Reddit User To Apologize

CNN Faces Backlash After Apology From

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/cnn-trump-reddit-bodyslam-video-apology-1202487418/

How quickly the Internet tides turn: CNN is facing a backlash for its handling of a story about the Reddit user who created the video depicting President Donald Trump delivering a bodyslam to CNN.

The Reddit user, who has not been publicly identified by name beyond his handle of “HanA–holeSolo,” posted a lengthy apology on Tuesday for crafting the CNN video and for previous Reddit posts widely deemed racist, anti-Muslim and anti-Semitic. He apologized to CNN and to members of the Reddit community for dragging them into controversy that erupted on Sunday when Trump tweeted out the CNN bodyslam video — crafted from an old WWE appearance by Trump prior to his election. The 28-second video depicts Trump tackling a person ringside at a wrestling match whose head has been replaced with the red CNN logo.

Trump’s tweet sparked condemnation and criticism across the political spectrum last week, with some suggesting that the video could incite violence against CNN employees and other journalists. But late Tuesday, CNN began facing accusations of “blackmail” in an online story headlined “How CNN found the Reddit user behind the Trump wrestling GIF.”

CNN asserted in the story by Andrew Kaczynski that it had uncovered the man’s name but decided not to publish it in light of his apology. The Reddit user has deleted his prior posts, including one that featured photos of prominent CNN employees with Jewish stars next to their names.

However, a caveat in the story regarding the possibility of disclosure in the future has sparked anger.

“CNN is not publishing “HanA**holeSolo’s” name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again,” Kaczynski wrote. “In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same. CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

CNN declined to comment. A source said there was no intention to pressure the Reddit user but rather to emphasize that they made the decision to spare him from being outed publicly because of what they perceived as the sincerity of his apology. The man, described by CNN as middle-age despite assertions on social media that he is 15, posted the apology and then contacted Kaczynski by telephone.

The latest flap highlights the contentious relationship between the Trump administration and mainstream media outlets, and it also underscores the hot-house environment of social media. In his apology, the Reddit user claimed that his past offensive posts were the result of an “addiction” to seeing if he could get a rise out of other users with extreme statements. The user insisted he “never meant any of the hateful things I said in those posts.” He said the Trump-CNN video was “a prank, nothing more.”

White House sources, meanwhile, have told CNN and ABC News that the video Trump tweeted was not taken from Reddit. The video in Trump’s tweet featured a soundtrack that was not found in the Reddit user’s original GIF.

CNN Article: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html

TL;DR? They found the man who made that CNN Trump gif's personal information, E-Mailed and Called him, which pressured him to post an apology out of fear being outed, and CNN seems like they're holding that information above his head.

Do you agree with this method? Or CNN is making a bigger fire? nat1 

This is totalitarian as fuck and I'm against it 100%. Just because the guy's a stinking mess, does not mean you can do this to him. He's just one of a million dumbass conservaturds, but didn't shoot up a school or anything trash1

6 minutes ago, Vertigo-go said:

This is totalitarian as fuck and I'm against it 100%. Just because the guy's a stinking mess, does not mean you can do this to him. He's just one of a million dumbass conservaturds, but didn't shoot up a school or anything trash1

Right. It didn't sit well in my stomach and it makes CNN no better than Trump or the alt-right.

CNN can choke then! wendy1 This kind of behaviour is childish af, they don't have anything else to do rather than tracking down Reddit users making GIFS?????? lmfao1

2 minutes ago, Red said:

CNN was right. Don't play with fire if you don't want to be exposed. Tired of rat ass bitches thinking they won't be checked.

My good sis, I'm sorry I have to disagree fall2 

It's just a meme and there's a lot of issues in the world that CNN is turning a blind eye on, but when it comes to a meme from a trash person, you're going to pressure him to apologize to you and threaten to leak his personal information if he goes back into it? It's pretty stupid 

3 minutes ago, Kyoteki said:

My good sis, I'm sorry I have to disagree fall2 

It's just a meme and there's a lot of issues in the world that CNN is turning a blind eye on, but when it comes to a meme from a trash person, you're going to pressure him to apologize to you and threaten to leak his personal information if he goes back into it? It's pretty stupid 

He also posted anti semite imagery that said CNN is failing because it was/is run by a bunch of Jews. That's slander and CNN is NOT playing games with any girls anymore. Donald Trump is purposely trying to sabotage them and it's good that they are standing up for themselves. If you talk shit, just expect the consequences. If you don't want any, hide your information better. 

1 hour ago, Red said:

He also posted anti semite imagery that said CNN is failing because it was/is run by a bunch of Jews. That's slander and CNN is NOT playing games with any girls anymore. Donald Trump is purposely trying to sabotage them and it's good that they are standing up for themselves. If you talk shit, just expect the consequences. If you don't want any, hide your information better. 

nn; agree but I feel like CNN should leave that for the hackers on their side for this instead of publicly displaying that they're out here being petty. 

I mean if you haven't noticed CNN has been getting dragged left and right with leaks and shit, so they need to use their energy on journalism.

22 hours ago, Kyoteki said:

nn; agree but I feel like CNN should leave that for the hackers on their side for this instead of publicly displaying that they're out here being petty. 

I mean if you haven't noticed CNN has been getting dragged left and right with leaks and shit, so they need to use their energy on journalism.

That doesn't exist any more darling hottie1