Dennis Reynolds

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Comes out this Friday and it seems to have generated a fair amount of interest on here, probably time to have a thread for this. 

AT6KhN8b.png

Here's your cast:

• Peter Parker / Spider-Man: Tom Holland
  • Adrian Toomes / Vulture: Michael Keaton
  • Tony Stark / Iron Man: Robert Downey Jr.
  • May Parker: Marisa Tomei
  • Happy Hogan: Jon Favreau
  • Pepper Potts: Gwyneth Paltrow
  • Michelle: Zendaya
  • Aaron Davis: Donald Glover
  • Ned: Jacob Batalon
  • Liz: Laura Harrier
  • Flash: Tony Revolori
  • Herman Schultz / Shocker #2: Bokeem Woodbine
  • Anne Marie: Hoag Tyne Daly
  • Abe: Abraham Attah
  • Coach Wilson: Hannibal Buress
  • Principal Morita: Kenneth Choi
  • Ms. Warren: Selenis Leyva
  • Betty: Angourie Rice
  • Mr. Harrington: Martin Starr
  • Doris Toomes: Garcelle Beauvais
  • Phineas Mason / The Tinkerer: Michael Chernus
  • Mac Gargan: Michael Mando
  • Jackson Brice / Shocker #1: Logan Marshall-Green
  • Karen / Suit Lady: Jennifer Connelly
  • Agent Foster: Gary Weeks
  • Randy: Christopher Berry
  • Jason: Jorge Lendeborg, Jr.
  • Mr. Cobbwell: Tunde Adebimpe
  • Cindy: Tiffany Espensen
  • Sally: Isabella Amara
  • Charles: Michael Barbieri
  • Seymour: J.J. Totah
  • Mr. Delmar: Hemky Madera
  • Street Vendor: Zach Cherry
  • Punk on Street: Kirk Thatcher
  • Car Jacker: Yu Lew
  • Yelling Woman: Sondra James
  • Yelling Man: Bob Adrian
  • Day Sleeper: Gary Richardson
  • Gary: Stan Lee
  • Thai Waiter: Joe Hang
  • History Teacher: Wayne Péré
  • Steve Rogers / Captain America: Chris Evans
  • Tent Kids: Alexa Laraki, Liza Fagin
  • Voice of Friday: Kerry Condon
  • Mr. Hapgood: John Penick
  • Tiny: Ethan Dizon
  • Decathlon Moderator: Amy Hill
  • Park Ranger: Miles Mussenden
  • Tour Guide: Martha Kelly
  • Helicopter Pilot: Kevin N. LaRosa
  • Ferry Kid: Ren Colley
  • Ferry Mom: Jennifer Kim
  • Ferry Commuters: Ari Groover, Louis Gonzalez, Stewart Steinberg, Andy Powers
  • Yeah Spider-Man Guy: Omar Capra
  • Dean Crimson: Nitin Nohria
  • Stark Tower Technician: Vince Foster
  • Stark Tower Employee: Brian Schaeffer

@Daenerys

@Hermione

@Kuba

@Maryanne

@Rachel Berry

@TattooedHeart

I've started watching so Tom Holland interviews, and he's such a funny & warm person oprah4 I have a feeling that he slayed that role so I'm excited to go see the movie someday! oprah4

10 minutes ago, Kuba said:

I've started watching so Tom Holland interviews, and he's such a funny & warm person oprah4 I have a feeling that he slayed that role so I'm excited to go see the movie someday! oprah4

He's really good in the role, but I have to wonder how many movies he's signed for since Spidey is clearly gonna be a huge cash cow fall3 I lowkey think he's gonna regret it when he's on his 9th Spider-Man movie at age 37 dead2 

1 hour ago, Breathless Mahoney said:

He's really good in the role, but I have to wonder how many movies he's signed for since Spidey is clearly gonna be a huge cash cow fall3 I lowkey think he's gonna regret it when he's on his 9th Spider-Man movie at age 37 dead2 

I think I've heard him saying he signed for 5 movies so far (Civil War, Homecoming, Infinity war and maybe 2 more solo Spidey movies?)

I saw a spoiler about Gargan, and I was trying so hard to avoid them fall4

So I've seen it, and just like my last few movie reviews I'll put my thoughts into stream-of-consciousness bullet points because there hasn't been enough time for me to completely process the movie enough that I can type a full coherent review with transitions and everything.

Some of these things are going to sound like complaints, but they're minor in the grand scheme of things and I enjoyed it anyway.

Spoiler
  • I'm still so glad that this isn't another origin story and we're getting right into the action. That's where the TASM movies went wrong in my opinion. It's about Spider-Man for crying out loud, he doesn't need any more exposition. We really do not need to see another spider bite or Uncle Ben death scene ever again and that's just the tea. sorry1
  • The new theme music is okay, but it's so hard to beat Danny Elfman's old main title. I was a little disappointed with that to be honest, but no matter how good the new one is my favorite will probably always be the original because of the nostalgia factor.
  • Zendaya was so underutilized. Michelle was one of my favorite characters in this and they completely wasted her potential. Hopefully she'll have more screentime in the sequels because she was just there for comic relief and had no relevance to the plot, they could have cut out all 5 minutes of her combined footage and nothing would have changed. I died when she flipped off Peter at the homecoming dance and when she refused to enter the Washington Monument because it was built by slaves though. They tried to make Zendaya look Hollywood homely but it just wasn't working at all because her natural beauty seeped through anyway, what a goddess. I don't know if it was intentional, but she reminded me of Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club in this.
  • I still don't know how I feel about Aunt May being a MILF, but it's a breath of fresh air. I know Peter has to protect his loved ones but eventually I was just begging for him to tell her his secret because she deserved to know everything. I SCREAMED at the ending rip2 Mess at the last word of the movie being her dropping an F-bomb rip2
  • I loved how Flash wasn't a dumb jock this time and they showed how even the nerdy kids can be bullies sometimes, because I encountered plenty in high school and some of them were meaner to me than the popular kids ever were.
  • The Washington Monument scene was SO INTENSE. Even though it was only halfway through the movie and there was still so much more to go, it felt like the kind of action, suspense, and drama that could only be at the film's climax. It also doesn't help that I'm terrified of heights and tight spaces, so something like this is one of my worst fears. I was watching from between my fingers with my hands covering my face, it was so exhilarating.
  • Holy plot twist, I was completely shocked by the Vulture being Liz's father. It's hard for audiences to truly be shocked anymore because we've already seen almost everything in the year 2017, but everyone in the theater gasped. There was barely any foreshadowing or buildup, but it made sense anyway. I'm so glad I didn't read any spoilers ahead of time and went in without knowing anything. I'm surprised that Liz seemed to have no idea though, she's a smart cookie and I feel like she would have eventually figured out if her father was secretly a supervillain.
  • I felt terrible for Liz getting ditched at the dance by Peter, even though he was out stopping the Vulture. The same thing happened to me at my high school prom and my date was my best friend at the time, and years later we're still not on speaking terms. I've tried to reach out to her, but she ignored me and I still see her out in public all the time and she pretends she doesn't know me. It hurts a lot but at least Peter has a damn good excuse for it. ny12
  • Ned was so lovable. When I become a superhero (I've planted the seed and I WILL see the harvest ny8) I hope to have a man in the chair like him. The accidental gay moment between him and Peter was so messy lmfao1 Aunt May was cool for not caring though.
  • The amount of Avengers was just right. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't turn into Iron Man 4, and all usages of Captain America were genius. "I think he's a war criminal now," the girls playing F Marry Kill with the Avengers on the bleachers, and the second post-credits scene that clowned the whole audience were all hilarious.
  • So glad that we finally saw Pepper again. Gwyneth annoys me in real life, but Pepper is possibly my favorite Avengers girlfriend bar Peggy and it seemed like she had been written out without a proper goodbye. This opened the door for more Pepper appearances and showed that her story isn't over! cry7
  • Dead at the awkwardness of the morning announcements with Betty Brant rip4
  • I'm happy that Donald Glover ended up being in this, but I still sometimes wonder about what could have been with him as Spider-Man. sob1
  • The rubble scene was when Tom Holland officially become my favorite rendition of Spider-Man.

10 hours ago, Hermione said:

So I've seen it, and just like my last few movie reviews I'll put my thoughts into stream-of-consciousness bullet points because there hasn't been enough time for me to completely process the movie enough that I can type a full coherent review with transitions and everything.

Some of these things are going to sound like complaints, but they're minor in the grand scheme of things and I enjoyed it anyway.

Hide contents
  • I'm still so glad that this isn't another origin story and we're getting right into the action. That's where the TASM movies went wrong in my opinion. It's about Spider-Man for crying out loud, he doesn't need any more exposition. We really do not need to see another spider bite or Uncle Ben death scene ever again and that's just the tea. sorry1
  • The new theme music is okay, but it's so hard to beat Danny Elfman's old main title. I was a little disappointed with that to be honest, but no matter how good the new one is my favorite will probably always be the original because of the nostalgia factor.
  • Zendaya was so underutilized. Michelle was one of my favorite characters in this and they completely wasted her potential. Hopefully she'll have more screentime in the sequels because she was just there for comic relief and had no relevance to the plot, they could have cut out all 5 minutes of her combined footage and nothing would have changed. I died when she flipped off Peter at the homecoming dance and when she refused to enter the Washington Monument because it was built by slaves though. They tried to make Zendaya look Hollywood homely but it just wasn't working at all because her natural beauty seeped through anyway, what a goddess. I don't know if it was intentional, but she reminded me of Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club in this.
  • I still don't know how I feel about Aunt May being a MILF, but it's a breath of fresh air. I know Peter has to protect his loved ones but eventually I was just begging for him to tell her his secret because she deserved to know everything. I SCREAMED at the ending rip2 Mess at the last word of the movie being her dropping an F-bomb rip2
  • I loved how Flash wasn't a dumb jock this time and they showed how even the nerdy kids can be bullies sometimes, because I encountered plenty in high school and some of them were meaner to me than the popular kids ever were.
  • The Washington Monument scene was SO INTENSE. Even though it was only halfway through the movie and there was still so much more to go, it felt like the kind of action, suspense, and drama that could only be at the film's climax. It also doesn't help that I'm terrified of heights and tight spaces, so something like this is one of my worst fears.
  • Holy plot twist, I was completely shocked by the Vulture being Liz's father. It's hard for audiences to truly be shocked anymore because we've already seen almost everything in the year 2017, but everyone in the theater gasped. There was barely any foreshadowing or buildup, but it made sense anyway. I'm so glad I didn't read any spoilers ahead of time and went in without knowing anything. I'm surprised that Liz seemed to have no idea though, she's a smart cookie and I feel like she would have eventually figured out if her father was secretly a supervillain.
  • I felt terrible for Liz getting ditched at the dance by Peter, even though he was out stopping the Vulture. The same thing happened to me at my high school prom and my date was my best friend at the time, and years later we're still not on speaking terms. I've tried to reach out to her, but she ignored me and I still see her out in public all the time and she pretends she doesn't know me. It hurts a lot but at least Peter has a damn good excuse for it. ny12
  • Ned was so lovable. When I become a superhero (I've planted the seed and I WILL see the harvest ny8) I hope to have a man in the chair like him. The accidental gay moment between him and Peter was so messy lmfao1 Aunt May was cool for not caring though.
  • The amount of Avengers was just right. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't turn into Iron Man 4, and all usages of Captain America were genius. "I think he's a war criminal now," the girls playing F Marry Kill with the Avengers on the bleachers, and the second post-credits scene that clowned the whole audience were all hilarious.
  • So glad that we finally saw Pepper again. Gwyneth annoys me in real life, but Pepper is possibly my favorite Avengers girlfriend bar Peggy and it seemed like she had been written out without a proper goodbye. This opened the door for more Pepper appearances and showed that her story isn't over! cry7
  • Dead at the awkwardness of the morning announcements with Betty Brant rip4
  • I'm happy that Donald Glover ended up being in this, but I still sometimes wonder about what could have been with him as Spider-Man. sob1
  • The rubble scene was when Tom Holland officially become my favorite rendition of Spider-Man.

I don't know why I read this fall4

I don't know why I read a lot of stuff about this movie already fall4

fall4

fall4

I'm so happy it's good and it's getting great reviews, but fuck, now I feel sorry for reading all the reviews, including yours fall4

Will probably see the movie on Tuesday tho.

1 hour ago, Maryanne said:

I don't know why I read this fall4

I don't know why I read a lot of stuff about this movie already fall4

fall4

fall4

I'm so happy it's good and it's getting great reviews, but fuck, now I feel sorry for reading all the reviews, including yours fall4

Will probably see the movie on Tuesday tho.

Oh no! This is definitely the kind of movie you want to watch without any kind of spoilers. Hoping you enjoy it regardless!

6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Oh no! This is definitely the kind of movie you want to watch without any kind of spoilers. Hoping you enjoy it regardless!

Oh I will, I always somehow end up reading all the spoilers, but nevertheless I enjoy watching it later.

If anything I'll enjoy watching Tom-eye-candy-Holland jj2

Copying and pasting what I just wrote for another site, no spoilers:

Although I thought Holland was good in Civil War, I wasn't quite ready to jump onboard with this popular opinion that he's the best Spider-Man. I mean, I just think it's kinda ridiculous to compare a supporting character who has about 15 minutes of screentime to actors who starred in multiple films. After this though, yeah, I gotta admit he's really good and probably my favorite as well now. Besides the (deserved) praise he gets for being funny, he's also really engaging, I think his best moment in the film is actually a dramatic one rather than any humor or action scene.

I love Michael Keaton in general, and in addition to being the best Batman (imo, obviously), I think I can safely say he's the best Spider-Man villain too. He's very, very down to Earth, and an extremely different kind of villain than I've seen in any other superhero movie. He's not trying to destroy the city, he's not seeking revenge, he's not crazy and for the most part he doesn't even want to harm anyone. I think Marvel has done a bang-up job with their villains as of late, which is usually a point of criticism for these films. I love Ego in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 just as much, even though his and Vulture's villainous motivations and the scope of them couldn't be more different.

Score is all right within the movie, but it's the kind you pretty much forget when leaving the theater. Most of the supporting cast is well-performed and surprisingly non-cliched, with the exception of Michelle. Even then though, Zendaya's acting isn't bad, I just don't really like the sort of "Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club"/"Rachel Leigh Cook-pre makeover in She's All That" character that she is, not that she's even in it very much.

It was pretty well integrated with the universe Marvel has created with very little of the "TUNE IN NEXT TIME, FOR..." plot points they use to set up other films that I know turn some folks off. There are references to previous films like The Avengers and Civil War, but if you haven't seen them you should still understand the story perfectly fine. Tonally, it's pretty close to Ant-Man, but with a little more heart in addition to the comedy. Check it out!

8/10.

5 minutes ago, Maryanne said:

So I went today to buy tickets for the movie, but it turns out they were all sold out for today wendy4

I guess slay Marvel kylie2

Ah, that's too bad. Yea, whenever I go to see these big event movies I try to buy the tickets two days in advance online, especially if I plan to see it on opening day.

Just now, Breathless Mahoney said:

Ah, that's too bad. Yea, whenever I go to see these big event movies I try to buy the tickets two days in advance online, especially if I plan to see it on opening day.

I'll try for the weekend again cry9