Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Sylk

Did Mariah's Lyrics impact your vocabulary?

I'm not sure if she necessarily introduced any words to me or made me use them more often – although perhaps I might remember a good word she used while I'm writing and then use it myself.

Can I just take this moment to say how fucking beautiful a word emblazoned is? giveup1 That whole line is everything.

The reason why I got into Mariah Carey in the first place was because of her wordplay.  Bitch is a fucking poetess, no matter what the song content, she finds a way to describe her narrative in such an elaborate yet eloquent way.  She truly is a song-writing legend worship1 

28 minutes ago, Hylia said:

90s legend Slick Rick? Who else!

Hoodlia peaking !!!! Anyways, time to listen to Native Invader, time for my wig to dissipate !!! anyways why do you even care about what I say, you're honestly such a legend and an awesome, funny and cool person, I should just be happy that a legend like you decided to talk to me

Just now, Sylk said:

Hoodlia peaking !!!! Anyways, time to listen to Native Invader, time for my wig to dissipate !!! anyways why do you even care about what I say, you're honestly such a legend and an awesome, funny and cool person, I should just be happy that a legend like you decided to talk to me

Only know Slick Fad cause of Aaliyah’s Got to Give It Up. Meanwhile, stream No Drama by Tinashe, out now!

1 minute ago, Hylia said:

Only know Slick Fad cause of Aaliyah’s Got to Give It Up. Meanwhile, stream No Drama by Tinashe, out now!

omg Tinashe has a new song out??? fuckkk what is she gonna eat for the rest of the week, I better streamm

3 minutes ago, Sylk said:

omg Tinashe has a new song out??? fuckkk what is she gonna eat for the rest of the week, I better streamm

When Joyride goes triple diamond you’ll be begging her for purses! Eject reject with your ratchet ass!! FOH!

20 minutes ago, Hylia said:

When Joyride goes triple diamond you’ll be begging her for purses! Eject reject with your ratchet ass!! FOH!

Joy Ride from Emancipation of Mimi?? wat3 

I'm an English major so idk if she taught me any words I didn't know, but she certainly used some I wouldn't have worked into conversation but did after I heard her do it.  Legend bey1

My favorite song of hers lyrically is "The Art of Letting Go" because I listened to it after first starting to talk on this forum and meeting the Mariah fans and getting into her discography.  I found that song and have loved it ever since.

Few of my favorite moments from it...

"I no longer live in your dominion (no no no no, no no no ooh)
You’re just trifling, nothing more than a liability
Gotta bundle all your possessions
Outside the kitchen window right now"

Lorde stole "liability" from her...  There's also an amazing quality of story-telling in this song--her word images are at once hilarious and crazy effective...  She's kicking him out physically and symbolically (later in the song) and the image we get is his pile of shit dumped outside the kitchen window--itself a space symbolic of women, a space from which he is now expelled.  Like trash. #poetess

"Letting go ain’t easy
Oh, it’s just exceedingly hurtful
‘cause somebody you used to know
It’s flinging your world around"

It's exceedingly hurtful.  He's flinging her world around.  #QueenofHyperbole

"Evidently your words were merely lies
Reverberating in my ears
And the echo won’t subside"

This is such a clever juxtaposition.  The words are "merely lies"--a comment that devalues them--but she goes from there to describe just how damaging they are regardless, ringing in her ears and echoing, such that it doesn't matter that they were lies, they have just as much effect as if they were true because homeboy chose to lie.  So she's both frustrated by and fully aware of how important words are.  Meta.

"Your audacity is too much to be believed, so
Go to MiMi on your contacts
Press delete"

Fucking iconic.

On 7/8/2017 at 5:26 AM, Sylk said:

omg a LAMB scream1 

yes we love a songwriter!

why you gotta be so acquiescent?? I can't even begin to fathom! An intrinsic part of me wishes i could just elude and relinquish your fervid and incandescent serenity! But don't you see?? I've succumbed to your transcending and unvarnished disillusion and become exceedingly enamored! I guess I must hastily dissuade this hectic dominion that you have me intertwined in, if I am to escape this devious destitution before I start flailing!! 

ines102.gif

@Hylia ICONIC

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.