/\quarius

is Madonna TRULY the queen of pop?

I posted this in another thread 

1 hour ago, /\quarius said:

Madonna stans have to constantly battle their insecurities with other female pop stars. Any accomplishment that threatens or intimidates them they have to constantly put down other females to make Madonna seem like the supreme one.

So much for being the Queen of Pop and yet her stans are blinded by delusion. Probably cause Madge herself is a narcissist, to begin with.
Oh well. How does the saying go? Like fave, like stan? 

wendy4 

But Madonna stans like @havok didn't have the balls to address this probably because they can't provide a decent argument without resorting to attacking the character of another user.  That speaks more about Madonna's stans, not her legacy, but that's a topic of discussion for another time and place. mad3 I can't wait to see how havok twists this and deludes himself into thinking this thread is all about him tho

In reality, is stan culture led to believe that Madonna is truly the undisputed queen of pop? If so, why do her stans have to constantly remind us that she's the Queen? Why do they have to dismiss the legacy of her peers when Madonna doesn't deserve the credit?

The Queen of Pop title seems to be a temporary throne that is handed by the media and the press to multiple people.... Lady Gaga was one of those candidates. gaga7 

My question is, is Madonna's legacy truly the only one deserving of such title? Because there have been tons of influential female artists, each with their own legacy.... Kylie Minogue, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Cher....

Do we dismiss the legacy of these artists because they're "local"? Because they don't have enough success on the American charts? What exactly is it about Madonna that makes her the undisputed queen of pop? Or is this simply a LIE that we've been fed by Madonna stans? Is it time that we, the stan community, redefine what it means to be a "Queen of Pop"?

Answers from all stan bases will be accepted, for there is truly no right or wrong answer. bey2 

2 minutes ago, Coca-Cola said:

Madonna is the Queen, Cher is the Goddess yas1

If Cher is the goddess, what exactly differentiates her from Madonna then? I know Cher is a legend because of her accomplishments, but if we were to elevate her higher than Madonna, what would give Cher the right to possess the title of Goddess but not Madonna?

2 minutes ago, /\quarius said:

If Cher is the goddess, what exactly differentiates her from Madonna then? I know Cher is a legend because of her accomplishments, but if we were to elevate her higher than Madonna, what would give Cher the right to possess the title of Goddess but not Madonna?

honestly, i don't know. just know the title Goddess of Pop went to Cher. shrug1

1 minute ago, Coca-Cola said:

honestly, i don't know. just know the title Goddess of Pop went to Cher. shrug1

Probably because she's seen more longevity than Madonna. shrug1

Which if it were to be the case, that's fair enough! 

Just now, /\quarius said:

Probably because she's seen more longevity than Madonna. shrug1

Which if it were to be the case, that's fair enough! 

that sounds right. 

@/\quarius

Madonna is the queen of pop because she has the most distinctive discography among female pop singers IMO. Janet, Mariah, Whitney may have done pop records here and there but overall their music took a different path compared to pop stars. Also Madonna redefined the meaning of a pop star. She was sexy, challenging, visual, bitchy, soft. She was a new package of pop for women.  As for M stans. Some of them aren't truly aware of Madonna's legacy as a whole, if they were, they wouldn't feel the need to drag other female legends. And some are just insecure and filled with hypocrisy, ironic since their fave is Madonna. 

7 minutes ago, light741 said:

Also Madonna redefined the meaning of a pop star. She was sexy, challenging, visual, bitchy, soft. She was a new package of pop for women.

Yeah this.

Isn't it true that before she came on the scene you rarely saw women in the Billboard Hot 100 but after she showed up, women - not just her, but women in general - started making more waves on the charts?

@/\quarius

Madonna is the queen of pop because she has the most distinctive discography among female pop singers IMO. Janet, Mariah, Whitney may have done pop records here and there but overall their music took a different path compared to pop stars. Also Madonna redefined the meaning of a pop star. She was sexy, challenging, visual, bitchy, soft. She was a new package of pop for women.  As for M stans. Some of them aren't truly aware of Madonna's legacy as a whole, if they were, they wouldn't feel the need to drag other female legends. And some are just insecure and filled with hypocrisy, ironic since their fave is Madonna. 

light741, your tea always tastes so pristine and unbiased, I always sit down and grab a cup of it. bey2 

1 minute ago, Stars Are Made To Shine said:

Yeah this.

Isn't it true that before she came on the scene you rarely saw women in the Billboard Hot 100 but after she showed up, women - not just her, but women in general - started making more waves on the charts?

Even back on my pop girl stanning days, when I would defend Gaga, Beyoncé, Rihanna or Britney, I never paid much attention to charts so maybe a Madonna stan can enlighten us on this subject.

Regardless though, if we were to use Billboard Hot 100 as an indication, Madonna might have broke out as a female solo artist, but there have others who have made bigger strides in it, such as Mariah Carey.  Also Billboard Hot 100 is sinking into an Americanized perspective, Madonna stans LOVE to dismiss the legacy of peers like Mariah and Janet because they're too "local."  Didn't Kylie Minogue start around the same time Madonna did? creep1 

21 minutes ago, /\quarius said:

Also Billboard Hot 100 is sinking into an Americanized perspective, Madonna stans LOVE to dismiss the legacy of peers like Mariah and Janet because they're too "local."  Didn't Kylie Minogue start around the same time Madonna did? creep1 

You're right, it is a very Americanized view. I apologize for not being able to think outside my US bubble but unfortunately that's just the way I think sometimes because it's what I'm most familiar with...

1 hour ago, /\quarius said:

Even back on my pop girl stanning days, when I would defend Gaga, Beyoncé, Rihanna or Britney, I never paid much attention to charts so maybe a Madonna stan can enlighten us on this subject.

Regardless though, if we were to use Billboard Hot 100 as an indication, Madonna might have broke out as a female solo artist, but there have others who have made bigger strides in it, such as Mariah Carey.  Also Billboard Hot 100 is sinking into an Americanized perspective, Madonna stans LOVE to dismiss the legacy of peers like Mariah and Janet because they're too "local."  Didn't Kylie Minogue start around the same time Madonna did? creep1 

@Stars Are Made To Shine Madonna's status in music is not because of sales anyway. Charts are not what makes somebody iconic or legendary. Aretha never had the global sales of Madonna, Mariah or Janet. But she is a global legend for her impact. Also certain Madonna stans should know, that is not an insult to be below Madonna in global sales, because she is the best selling woman in music. It doesn't change the fact that Mariah, Janet and others have had a lot of success worldwide too.

1 hour ago, Stars Are Made To Shine said:

You're right, it is a very Americanized view. I apologize for not being able to think outside my US bubble but unfortunately that's just the way I think sometimes because it's what I'm most familiar with...

Disclaimer: It's not like I actually despise America, I am American myself, but a lot of North American artists are influenced by artists from other countries because the USA is saturated with so many different types of demographics. That's why every foreign artist wants to break it big in America.  But things are changing, we're projected to see a rise in international markets, specifically Latin America and Japan. *Kanye shrug* But you're good, I'm not familiar with charts at all, to begin with. I just want us all to have a healthy debate. gaycat1 

@Stars Are Made To Shine Madonna's status in music is not because of sales anyway. Charts are not what makes somebody iconic or legendary. Aretha never had the global sales of Madonna, Mariah or Janet. But she is a global legend for her impact. Also certain Madonna stans should know, that is not an insult to be below Madonna in global sales, because she is the best selling woman in music. It doesn't change the fact that Mariah, Janet and others have had a lot of success worldwide too.

I am totally on the same page, but it's hard to gauge impact because at the end of the day it's all relative.  For example, Janet's impact and legacy, I can "detect" it very easily because I'm educated on her catalog, however, to someone from the UK they would scoff and dismiss her achievements because she apparently wasn't a big seller there? 

7 minutes ago, /\quarius said:

I am totally on the same page, but it's hard to gauge impact because at the end of the day it's all relative.  For example, Janet's impact and legacy, I can "detect" it very easily because I'm educated on her catalog, however, to someone from the UK they would scoff and dismiss her achievements because she apparently wasn't a big seller there? 

Well Janet was a big seller there. Not Madonna or the vocal Trinity level of sales, but she was a big seller. Also her impact is based on how much her image, her dance moves, videos and sound have impacted artists. And they have impacted worldwide. That's why i mentioned Aretha as an example, many artists that weren't big sellers(for whatever reason). Race(Aretha and many other artists of that time had a difficut time with racism. Although racism never truly disappeared, it was far stronger back then. The time(usually sales weren't that high in the 60s and 70s), etc. But the impact did happen and happened worldwide. How many generations impacted by Aretha's vocals worldwide?. 6 and counting. 

This tea! I never understood why some Madonna stans are so pressed and obsessed with "dragging" other pop girls. (i.e. Gaga, Janet, Britney, Mariah, Kylie, sometimes even MJ, etc.) Like, be content with the legacy of your own fave! It's as if they feel the need to continually reassess her dominance. Instead, they just come off as the most insecure fanbase. wendy2 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@/\quarius     Madonna is the queen of pop because she has the most distinctive discography among female pop singers IMO. Janet, Mariah, Whitney may have done pop records here and there

Yes she is. However, the reason Madonna fans are so insecure is because has constantly been put in jeopardy; by the press, other fan bases, etc. While she is the biggest selling and most suc

This thread is ridiculous. Madonna is universally known as the Queen of Pop. Media has called Bruno, JT, Bieber, Usher, etc. kings of pop at some point in their careers, does that mean that MJ is not

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.