Hermione

Swedish comedian planning "man-free" music festival

Bravalla, the largest music festival in Sweden, has been canceled next year due to the increasing amount of sexual assaults reported at the festival.

At Bravalla 2016 five rapes and over a dozen sexual assaults were reported, and in 2017 this number increased to four rapes and 23 sexual assaults. The organizers of Bravalla, which brought in over 40,000 concertgoers each year, released a statement saying that "Certain men ... apparently cannot behave. It's a shame. We have therefore decided to cancel Bravalla 2018. Words cannot describe how incredibly sad we are about this, and we most seriously regret and condemn this."

Swedish comedian and radio host Emma Kynckare decided to take matters into her own hands by tweeting "What do you think about putting together a really cool festival where only non-men are welcome? It would last 'until all men have learned how to behave.'"

Ever since Kynckare's tweet garnered attention, she has been turning theory into practice by planning and organizing the "first man-free rock festival," which is set to debut next summer, according to the BBC.

source

EDIT: Of course FOTP is against women-only spaces, which have virtually been around since the dawn of time and are sadly still very much necessary for safety purposes. I didn't expect any different, but yikes at the #NotAllMen vibes. awk1

1 hour ago, Princess Aurora said:

Sweden, has been canceled next year due to the increasing amount of sexual assaults reported at the festival.

What's wrong with Sweden ? awk1 It used to be a nice place a few years ago 

Honestly it's a global problem at music festivals. My suspicion is that it's not that much more prevalent in Sweden, just that they're more vocal about 1) reporting the problem and 2) speaking up about fixing it 

1 minute ago, QUINN said:

Honestly it's a global problem at music festivals. My suspicion is that it's not that much more prevalent in Sweden, just that they're more vocal about 1) reporting the problem and 2) speaking up about fixing it 

I've never been to a music festival so I don't know much about this issue actually rip3 . At least Sweden is trying to do the right thing unlike other countries then

2 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

I've never been to a music festival so I don't know much about this issue actually rip3 . At least Sweden is trying to do the right thing unlike other countries then

Festival culture is pretty gnarly these days. So much so that it's kind of become a point for activists to rally against. A lot of the bigger festivals have taken on new preventative measures.

10 hours ago, Urbanov said:

Imagine if someone even tweet about making "woman-free" music festival - people would scream "gynophobia!!!!"

K except that most festivals already cater HEAVILY to male musicians and concert goers. The industry has already made a case for itself in terms of being gynophobic. The fact that an increase in recent years of women attending music festivals has also seen an increase in sexual assaults at music festivals probably isn't a coincidence. If one festival takes a stand and bans non-females from attending until dudes decide to stop raping people, im okay with that. It's better than everyone sitting aside and quietly letting the bullshit continue.

I'm just not sure how it's practical or kind to ban all men just because some rape. That's not a healthy generalization and it's not going to help.

Instead, you can push for more education on rape, and do research on the backgrounds of these men... what were their childhoods like? Did anything lead them on this path? What can we change to limit it?

but no, let's just #banallmen because political points!

P.S. Rapists don't just 'decide' to go away. It's not as simple as 'punishing' them in a generalized ban. Never has it been as simple as guys deciding not to rape anymore.

I'm interested in hearing a different perspective on this.

7 hours ago, QUINN said:

Find the time and Google Woodstock 94 jj4

I don't know how people got out of there alive, it was ugly, disgusting.

While I understand that "women-only" situations may seem detrimental to the ideas of feminism, people have to realise that this is not "I hate men!! GRR.." it's literally just raising awareness about the inequality at festivals. On average, under a quarter female artists perform at festivals. Rape & Sexual assault on women are extremely prevalent. Festivals are not safe spaces for girls. Of course, this won't end these problems at all, but it will help female artists finally have a majority in a HEAVILY male dominated scene, and it will ensure safety for the female goers from sexual predators, even if it's just for a day. I don't see why people are taking this as a personal offence, it's literally just women sticking up for themselves. 

19 minutes ago, Kuba said:

While I understand that "women-only" situations may seem detrimental to the ideas of feminism, people have to realise that this is not "I hate men!! GRR.." it's literally just raising awareness about the inequality at festivals. On average, under a quarter female artists perform at festivals. Rape & Sexual assault on women are extremely prevalent. Festivals are not safe spaces for girls. Of course, this won't end these problems at all, but it will help female artists finally have a majority in a HEAVILY male dominated scene, and it will ensure safety for the female goers from sexual predators, even if it's just for a day. I don't see why people are taking this as a personal offence, it's literally just women sticking up for themselves. 

I'm not taking it personally, just like I didn't take the Wonder Woman screening personally. I also don't believe it's necessarily male hatred so much as it's male generalization and misplaced fear.

I don't think it's a good idea to teach young women that to prevent getting raped you have to attend a venue that men cannot attend. I think it teaches girls to fear men in general, rather than to learn how to defend themselves against rapists. It's fear-mongering and identity politics.

I believe peoples' concerns are legitimate. Women should be able to feel safe at festivals without fear of rape. Banning all men just really isn't the answer if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, Nuclear Chicken said:

I'm not taking it personally, just like I didn't take the Wonder Woman screening personally. I also don't believe it's necessarily male hatred so much as it's male generalization and misplaced fear.

I don't think it's a good idea to teach young women that that to prevent getting raped you have to attend a venue that men cannot attend. I think it teaches girls to fear men in general, rather than to learn how to defend themselves against rapists. It's fear-mongering and identity politics.

I believe peoples' concerns are legitimate. Women should be able to feel safe at festivals without fear of rape. Banning all men just really isn't the answer if you ask me.

Did you even read the post? The "largest music festival in Sweden, has been canceled next year due to the increasing amount of sexual assaults," a festival has literally been cancelled because men raped & sexually assaulted a large number of women. Do you think that this doesn't evoke fear of men in women by itself? 

Women have been violated by men at an already incredibly sexist event, so badly that it had to be cancelled. In turn, women are getting together to fight it and raise awareness about it by holding a safe event for women, and yet the only thing you care about is how men will be affected by it? 

38 minutes ago, Kuba said:

Did you even read the post? The "largest music festival in Sweden, has been canceled next year due to the increasing amount of sexual assaults," a festival has literally been cancelled because men raped & sexually assaulted a large number of women. Do you think that this doesn't evoke fear of men in women by itself? 

Women have been violated by men at an already incredibly sexist event, so badly that it had to be cancelled. In turn, women are getting together to fight it and raise awareness about it by holding a safe event for women, and yet the only thing you care about is how men will be affected by it? 

Alrighty, now it sounds like you might be the one taking it personally. I did read the post. Did you read my post? 

Anyways... the fact that a festival had to be cancelled definitely shows that there is an issue with crime and sexual assault in Sweden (and elsewhere) right now. I'm aware that's a serious problem and it alone scares people. I have no issue with people being afraid because they have every right to be. My issue is the reaction.

I'm hardly just concerned about how men will be affected. I just find the plan incredibly superficial. Banning men does not stop rapists.

I'm curious to know if you think that this plan of banning all men (rapist or not) is more effective than say... actually trying to fix the problem. Hiding from something won't make it go away. Banning all men from a festival isn't going to stop rapists from raping. Instead (and I know this is already being worked on, but it could have more attention) we need to limit the environment that creates & nurtures sexual offenders. Do we need more education on the issue? Less poverty? More access to mental health assistance and therapy? 

There's a more elegant way to go about this, I'm thinking.

9 hours ago, Urbanov said:

I agree with this though. But you have to realize that this festival takes place in Sweden where a lot of muslim refugees are raping women because they feel free to do it. It's actually a huge problem in Sweden right now and banning every man from attending certain festival is not going to change it.

Finally someone who told it like it is. brit10 

20 minutes ago, Urbanov said:

I'm kinda surprised this idea meets with approval from certain environments who are very pro-refugees for example. This makes no sense.

That reminds me of a good point. For those of you who are against Islamophobia based on the cruel acts of some muslim extremists (#notallmuslims), why do you use that logic circumstantially? Would you not be outraged over a venue banning ALL muslims from entry simply because of the behavior of SOME muslims? You would be. And so would I.

I know that it isn't perfect to compare a gender to a belief system, but it is still something to consider.

I find that it's much easier to justify discrimination if you believe that the group you are discriminating against is oppressing you... somehow.