HninSi

"I'd rather kill myself" is not the only diss jealous madonna threw at Mariah

As the title says, Madonna spoke ill of Mariah (and Whitney) out of the blue before Mariah even mentioned her.

From her Jan 1996 Spin magazine interview 

Spin: Are you dissapointed that Time Warner jettisoned Interscope? Shouldn’t a company whose main product is artistic expression stand up for its artists?

Madonna: [Sighs] I’ve had several discussions with [Warner Music Group CEO] Michael Fuchs and said, look, I’m not a big fan of music that’s degrading to women or that promotes violence. I am offended by these things too. I’m offended by a movie like Showgirls. I still don’t think that the way to remedy the situation is to go around telling everybody what they can and can’t do.
I think Time Warner, or any of these big. corporate conglomerate entities, should encourage work that is morally uplifting. that counteracts all [the negative sluff]. I think when you’re fed a steady diet of crap, you come to expect it after a while. But art is not really a very important part of our culture any more. I was talking to k.d. lang about it last night. I don’t want to get into slagging off other artists, but we were talking about her record versus someone like Mariah Carey’s — and I think she’s a very talented singer — but we have to realize that the same country that acquitted O.J. is the same country that makes a complete piece of shit movie No.1, that buys Marian Carey records. It’s this homogeneity. But it’s got nothing to do with art.

From her 1995 NME interview

"pop is short for popular and to remain popular you can’t have a point of view or be outspoken. To remain popular you can’t go against the grain. Janis Joplin, at this time, in this world would not be a popular artist. Chrissie Hynde does not sell as many records as somebody like Mariah Carey. And that’s because Manah Carey and Whitney Houston don’t have a f**ing point of view.”

NME- 

Whitney had one about you, didn’t she – she said that she’d kill her children if they turned out like you.

Madonna arches her brows coolly. “I’ve never heard either of them say anything horrible about me. But if they have, it’s completely transparent why. It would be based on jealousy of the fact that I have a point of view. I think that its an artist’s responsibility to have a point of view. Society takes its cue from popular art. People need something to look to, something to provoke them into questioning whether they completely hate something or completely love something. Perhaps somebody like Mariah Carey wishes she could make that happen. On the other hand,” she smiles nastily, “if you’re not terribly bright I suppose that you don’t really give a damn.”

If you read the full interviews, it was transparent that she was bitter about Mariah and Whitney who kept her at bay. Whether what she said was truth or not is purely subjective( and was ironic too.)

I honestly don't care what Madonna had to say about Mariah back in the day. What matters is what she thinks about her now, and I think both Mariah and Madonna respects each other after all these years. Hell, even Madonna said that she loved E=MC2 while Mariah said that she respects Madonna for what she’s done as an artist with her career. Although they are both VERY different in their own ways, I think that they both realized that they have a lot in common, especially in the media where women of their age are constantly being ridiculed for showing their bodies.

This is just to let you know that the infamous "I'd rather kill myself" isn't the only diss madonna threw. She was totally jealous of someone younger and morev successful. Wasn't a smart move at all and a stain to her personality, and a let down to her fan who like to defend her.

Wow, is this actually real?

This sounds like plain old jealousy to me, which is understandable coming from Madge in the 90s. 

Degrading other artists just because their work isn't politically challenging just makes her look like an absolutely pretentious narcissistic ass. This is really low for her. I understand that her work being political is important to her, but to other artists, it's not. Art is art and people have different intentions for their art form. If an artist just wants a simple display of ridiculously undeniable talent, then so be it. That doesn't make their art inferior. Whitney was just all about singing her ass off and putting her soul into whatever she's singing. Mariah, too. She was also about putting her own personal struggles while writing her music (usually the non-singles). Doesn't make them any less talented.

I am political as fuck (as seen by my countless essays about race relations on this forum) yet the music I listen to does not reflect that. Does that make me "not bright"? Sounds awfully closed-minded coming from such a supposedly open-minded artist. I truly hope this isn't real.

Spoiler

inb4 I get downvoted by medonsters because I had a point of view, though! :) 

Some paintings are supposed to make you think. Other paintings are just supposed to be admired in all its stunning beauty, to make you feel good. It's like comparing a political artwork charged with striking symbolism to a hyperrealistic drawing with gorgeous technical prowess. Neither is inferior to the other. shrug1 

1 hour ago, Melt Away said:

Wow, is this actually real?

This sounds like plain old jealousy to me, which is understandable coming from Madge in the 90s. 

Degrading other artists just because their work isn't politically challenging just makes her look like an absolutely pretentious narcissistic ass. This is really low for her. I understand that her work being political is important to her, but to other artists, it's not. Art is art and people have different intentions for their art form. If an artist just wants a simple display of ridiculously undeniable talent, then so be it. That doesn't make their art inferior. Whitney was just all about singing her ass off and putting her soul into whatever she's singing. Mariah, too. She was also about putting her own personal struggles while writing her music (usually the non-singles). Doesn't make them any less talented.

I am political as fuck (as seen by my countless essays about race relations on this forum) yet the music I listen to does not reflect that. Does that make me "not bright"? Sounds awfully closed-minded coming from such a supposedly open-minded artist. I truly hope this isn't real.

Reveal hidden contents

inb4 I get downvoted by medonsters because I had a point of view, though! :) 

There is really no excuse for it and you've got it in one. Madonna came across extremely bitter and resentful towards Mariah (who essentially replaced her as 'the' female recording artist at the time). I obviously love Madonna, but coming for a girl ten years younger than her never sat right with me.

2 hours ago, ICONICK said:

Did she lie tho?

No she didn't. :D 

Funny how no one here is reacting to this

Whitney had one about you, didn’t she – she said that she’d kill her children if they turned out like you.

Also we can add to this that same country elected Trump in 2016

the same country that acquitted O.J. is the same country that makes a complete piece of shit movie No.1, that buys Marian Carey records. 

I also love how she read Mariah very early on ayumi1

'if you’re not terribly bright I suppose that you don’t really give a damn.'

That NME interview came before the Spin interview.

She was definitely pressed. I mean imagine people like Janet and Whitney shading you out of nowhere and joining the hate bandwagon during the Erotica era. She really fucking hated the US at that time and she was very very defensive. That NME interview is like 10 pages long and it shows how fucking heartbroken she was at that time.

Oh and she didn't lie, really. Mariah's and Whitney's music really lacks substance and depth. It's rather shallow and easy to digest. Madonna felt that you have to be a passive and submissive woman with no point of view or no political agenda to be successful in the US and she's right. I don't think she should have said the way she did about Mariah, though. Still, I can't blame her much considering that almost every popular female artist shaded her in a similar way a year before.

Irony is that she got her limelight with bubblegum pop hits which she didn't even write (LAV, Material girl hello), rolled herself on stage to get attention and yet she had the nerve to diss people like Mariah and Whitney who made it big on their raw talents.

Irony is that she got her limelight with bubblegum pop hits which she didn't even write (LAV, Material girl hello), rolled herself on stage to get attention and yet she had the nerve to diss people like Mariah and Whitney who made it big on their raw talents.

Madonna always depended on others for success, even if it meant using their name for headlines. Kii

Posted from my SM-G550T1 using the FOTP app

Howling lmfao1lmfao1lmfao2

She was all riddled up about life back then, but she's not even necessarily wrong. A presence like Mariah Carey in the industry is a direct reflection of society's non progressement and the inherited close minded views we have towards women and how they should present themselves, she's speaking the truth in that regard and I agree with her on that point solely. That however has nothing to do with A) Mariah's talent, B) The quality of Mariah's work and C) The fact that this is how she chooses to present herself. At least there's an interesting point being made here, unlike Mariah who just disses someone based on his level of popularity / acts like she doesn't know them.

Anyway, this whole thing reminds of this notorious story that I've been told long ago about the unveiling of 2 type of naked women to a public crowd, the first naked woman was staring at distance with a submissive stance so everyone gathered in curiosity and started clapping for her, the 2nd woman was revealed to be staring at the crowd dead in the eye which end up causing a stir and chaos because how dare she own her sexuality. I know you guys don't care but Madonna (aka the woman who outsold all of your faves and can still tour unlike Mariah) and I find these stuff fascinating! ny9

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did she lie tho?

Fucking bye. Moo and whit themes deal with love and emotions from a romantic grown perspective, tommy made sure mariah cater to the adult contemporary audience, her material had to have substance and

That NME interview came before the Spin interview. She was definitely pressed. I mean imagine people like Janet and Whitney shading you out of nowhere and joining the hate bandwagon during the Er

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.