Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Vulnicura.

#FOTPListens — The Integration LP by LA Vampires & Marie Minerva | Due: 31st Oct | Join Now!

@Skyline @Anna-wa @Sylk @#VaccinesMakeKidsAutistic

9NFUVz8.png

*Pandora's Aquarium's average is 7.83 

Well the Tori stans won this turn since no one else submitted! Everyone else lost!

Also the album takes the top spot in the leaderboard because obviously nothing else we've listened compares to it!

It's personal, fun, dark, catchy, basically very diverse sonically and lyrically!

I'll let Toriphoria do the rest of the explaining!.

Spark is about when I miscarried, in 1996. I was three months pregnant and very excited. All of a sudden I woke up one morning and started to feel bad. The songs started coming soon after. I was really angry at God. Going into a shopping mall and seeing some woman knock the head off her child, I'm going -- "So this is fair?" I don't know where the spirit went, whether she picked another mummy, like, OK, choose her, then! Hope you're tone deaf!

When you start talking to people who have that kind of loss [miscarriage], somebody piping up, going, "Well, the angels were there for us during this time," well that's beautiful. But people have to understand that they're not there for everybody all the time. They get lost on the way. That's why in "Cruel" when I say, "I don't know why," I really don't know why I can be cruel. I don't know why the angels aren't there for everybody, but they're not.

There exists such a thing as boasting about misery. One sentence in "Cruel" deals with that: "Dance with the Sufis celebrate your top ten in the charts of pain." When I had a miscarriage, there were people who said: "Yes, but you only lost an unborn child. Our son was murdered!" For some people things aren't bad enough as it is. And some hang on to the fact that The Most Terrible Thing happened to them: they entered at #1 in the charts of pain. And then others are secretly jealous because they're only at #6. 

Was the reference to celebrating your Top Ten in the charts of pain an ironic sideswipe at the "Professional Widow" remix?
No, it's about when you hear people listing their griefs, it can be become a bit like a Billboard chart. "Hey, only your uncle abused you? I had 17 sailors and then my uncle!" That's what that was about... I get a lot of letters from girls who don't talk about what happened to them because they feel they have no right to speak up. So they become Victims Anonymous. 

When I sleep I often have nightmares. I can already hear your readers saying, "I knew that. The way your songs sound you must really have horrible nightmares." Just like the one I'm describing in the song "Black-Dove" off my last album From the Choirgirl Hotel. I see a black dove. I see its face clearly. The dove is transparent. Like it is made of ice. I can see my hand through it. An auger goes through it and it is bleeding water.

The animus in me is "Raspberry Swirl." I'm in love with my women friends, but I just don't eat pussy [laughs]. But I'm still in love with them. If I had a different sensibility, then you know I think I could, you know, really fulfill someone down there, where a lot of men in their lives don't. And eating pussy is a metaphor, too -- it's about crawling in there, being with their juices, really being with them.

"Jackie's Strength" is really... I was asked to get married, right? And I was quite nervous because I never thought I'd get married before. It just wasn't something that I was gonna do. Even though I believe in monogamy, just having the church and state condone my union wasn't important to me. And in fact, I really didn't want that. So, when he asked me, it brought up, obviously, a lot of things. And I started going back in my little movie in my head, different moments of my life. And I remember my mother telling me that the day Kennedy died, John F. Kennedy, that she put me down, she had to lay me down because her heart started to slow down and she couldn't breathe. And um, all she thought of was Jackie and the strength that it would take Jackie to lead the nation.. which she did. And I really knew that I was gonna need some kind of strength because I'm made up of like two personalities. There's one side of me that could very easily have ended up at the 7-Eleven sitting outside drinking a Slurpee in my wedding dress and just missing the whole thing. And then there's the other one that did make it to the church. So, this song is about the one that drank the Slurpee. She's still out there somewhere

"iieee" [pronounced eye eye ee] has a Native American influence in it, when you hear the rhythm. And yet, there's a little of that New Mexican, driving in an old dilapidated Mustang, and you're just on your own, and you drive for days and days and days, and you think you're at the end of the earth, and it's just you. And I think that feeling... "iieee" is very much about dying and about sacrifices. 

I don't know of anybody who's gonna be fulfilled if they get hit by a bus. You have to surrender to that eternal need to be fulfilled. That's very much what "Liquid Diamonds" was for me.

You know, I think it ["She's Your Cocaine"] is a reference to my rock chick days, but realized in a different way. There are three characters in that song - a he and a she and the girl singing it. I haven't quite figured out if the girl singing is really pissed off that she isn't special anymore, or if she is just horrified that she put this guy on a pedestal and now he's chosen this thing... this girl who wouldn't even be let into a real girl's party. This... black hole of nebulae... 

I think your own sex can see your sex for what it is. You know the tricks of your own sex. Sometimes you can put your little play glasses on and not want to see them. But I know when another woman is flirting with one of my crew -- it's so obvious and yet they can't see it. They say, "oh she's so pained" or "she's had all this stuff happen to her." I know a girl like this -- who uses her victimness to make people feel they can't do enough for her, that nothing is ever enough. And you're like an addict. You can't spill enough blood, you can't wrap your dick into seventeen different little shapes, y'know, like those balloons. "Here... look! Puppy! Ice cream truck!" This song is my revenge. 

I met this guy, he's no white knight, but I wrote this for him. I'm really not supposed to talk about him, see we made a deal: I married him. (Northern Lad)

I think as you're getting married, all the loves, even 10-minute loves, are popping up. Hotel was really like feeling like an agent -- a spy -- in that he was the greatest guy at one time and they were giving me time behind enemy lines. Even though she knows they can't be lovers because it's a whole other life, she just can't let him go. 

I saw her [Playboy Mommy] very much as a Magdalene figure. I saw her as someone who had become quite disreputable because of the means she used to survive. There was something in me that aligned with this disreputable woman that people have a hard time with. Sometimes you have to accomplish things in not-so-pretty ways. I saw strength in her. She can do things that those women accepted in the literary circles cannot do because she can swallow... This woman in "Playboy Mommy," she'll swallow. She'll swallow a billion seeds to protect this little girl 

I couldn't chase after something that wasn't going to manifest itself in the physical. I didn't become a mother, although I owned life, I couldn't go back to being that person I was before. And yet... I knew that there was some primitive agony of women losing their children that I had to dive through. And believe it or not, "Pandora" took me by the hand and came first. It took me by the hand, drug me under, and all of a sudden, we were off. 

@Anna-wa

Cruel - the chorus is actually one of my favorite vocal moments of hers, I don't know why

Black-Dove (January) - takes me to another world

Raspberry Swirl - flashback Friday [Thursday] to when Hylia told us the story behind the title and we all cackled

Jackie's Strength - after hearing the story behind this one it made it go up in my ratings

She's Your Cocaine - 11/10 FAVORITE

Hotel - when that chorus hits it's all over cry7

Playboy Mummy  it's such a beautiful sad song and after I heard the story behind it my heart broke

@#VaccinesMakeKidsAutistic

Just saying that Northern Lad is that song and Raspberry Swirl is annoying sia3

next turn coming next year if you're lucky....

600x0w.jpg

f(x) • Pink Tape

K-Pop

41:00

July 29, 2013

1. Rum Pum Pum Pum
  2. Shadow
  3. Pretty Girl
  4. Kick
  5. Signal
  6. Step
  7. Goodbye Summer
  8. Airplane
  9. Toy
  10. No More
  11. Snapshot
  12. Ending Page

Due

28th September

I am familiar with K-pop to some extent (4 WALLS IS A FUCKING BOP!1!!1!!!!) so this should be interesting!

Tagging those who were interested in this before it began!:

@Shiver @Lachlan @Kuba

So as I myself happened to become more occupied, I have decided to be a bit more flexible with this.

For some this wouldn't really apply since they haven't submitted since the first round.

I'm not exactly sure how to word this but basically take this as an invite to join again/try this out!

Feel free to submit an album (link in OP)! I'm open to anything but the album queue could use a pop album!

Listen whenever you're free and commentary is optional!

Again this may be phrased weirdly but hopefully you're getting the point! I could use new members and people who hopefully submit!

also btw @Skyline you can submit a new album!

Just now, Anna-wa said:

I heard Rum Pum Pum Pum and it wasn't the best thing I've ever heard but it also wasn't the worst. So. I am interested to see what the rest of their album sounds like.

Billboard actually called it one of the best girl group songs, which is definitely an exaggeration since it isn't even their best song.

Rum Pum Pum Pum is definitely a grower, it's a pretty cute song!

13 minutes ago, Anna-wa said:

Oh yes I too love Work From Home by Fifth Harmony!

we been knew everyone and their mom stans 5H! 

(no seriously my mom actually replayed the Worth It music video more than I did!)

Btw can't wait for you to listen to Little Boots when my turn comes!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.