Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Americunt

Lana Del Rey | Norman Fucking Rockwell! | August 30th, 2019

packshot.jpg

Lana's fifth studio album, produced by Jack Antonoff, is due to be released on August 30th, 2019.

TRACKLIST:

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell
2. Mariners Apartment Complex
3. Venice Bitch
4. Fuck It I Love You
5. Doin' Time
6. Love Song
7. Cinnamon Girl
8. How to Disappear
9. California
10. The Next Best American Record
11. The Greatest
12. Bartender
13. Happiness is a Butterfly
14. Hope is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - But I Have It

Runtime: 1 HOUR, 7 MINUTES, 42 SECONDS

PERTINENT INFORMATION

Spoiler

COLLABORATIONS WITH JACK ANTONOFF

In February 2018, photos began to surface of Lana with producer Jack Antonoff. The two were rumored to be collaborating for the first time around then.

On March 29th, 2018, Lana posted a snippet of a new song titled Happiness is a Butterfly on Instagram and Twitter. This track is likely produced by Jack Antonoff, as he liked the post on Instagram.

On August 4th, 2018, Jack Antonoff posted pictures of himself and Lana in the studio, captioning it "LA recording August 2018", implying that the two were still working together at that time.

On September 7th, 2018, Lana posted an update to Instagram, announcing that she would be releasing two new songs soon. She also included a snippet of the first track, titled Mariners Apartment Complex. These songs are produced by Jack Antonoff, with at least one video shot by Chuck Grant.

On September 12th, 2018, the title of the second single was revealed to be Venice Bitch. Accompanying this news was confirmation that both Mariners Apartment Complex and Venice Bitch were from sessions for a new album, currently scheduled for release in 2019.

On September 12th, 2018, Lana was interviewed by Annie Mac for the premiere of Mariners Apartment Complex. In this interview, she revealed that her new album had been in progress since December 2017. She also stated that the album had some surf rock infuence with electric guitars, somewhat in the vein of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

On September 18th, 2018, Lana was interviewed by Zane Lowe for the premiere of Venice Bitch. In this interview, she revealed the album title: Norman Fucking Rockwell. She also revealed that there was a title track. In addition, she stated that the album was 11 tracks long and would include both Venice Bitch and Mariners Apartment Complex.

In the period after releasing the two early singles, Lana began posting snippets of new songs on Instagram. These include a new snippet of Happiness is a Butterfly, a snippet of a song titled How to Disappear, four snippets of a track thought to be titled "Cinnamon" (later confirmed to be titled Cinnamon Girl) and a snippet of a song titled Sylvia Plath, which had been previously rumored to have been mentioned by Lana in February 2018.

On October 30th, 2018, Lana and Jack Antonoff performed at an Apple Event in Brooklyn. Two songs were performed live for the first time: Venice Bitch and How to Disappear.

On January 1st, 2019, Lana posted two snippets on her Instagram. One was from a new song, thought to be titled "In Your Car" (later confirmed to be titled Love Song), while the second was from the track formerly known as "Sylvia Plath", now retitled Hope is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - But I Have It, which was confirmed to be the album's third promotional single, to be released on January 9th.

On April 3rd, 2019, Lana posted a snippet of a new song, without a specific confirmation of the song's title. It was later confirmed to be titled California.

On June 16th, 2019, Lana posted a snippet of the title track, Norman Fucking Rockwell.

On July 26th, 2019, Lana shared that her next music video was going to be a double feature for previously unknown tracks titled Fuck It, I Love You! and The Greatest.

OLD/IRRELEVANT INFORMATION

Spoiler

LUST FOR LIFE OUTTAKES

During the same interview on July 12th, 2017, she mentioned that roughly four tracks did not make the cut on her fourth studio album, Lust For Life. Three of these tracks are Roses Bloom For You, Yosemite and Best American Record. During the interview, she intimated that these songs might see release eventually.

During the July 21st, 2017, release day performance, Lana was again asked about Yosemite and said that she really liked the track and wanted it to "find its place".

On July 26th, 2017, Lana did a Q&A at Amoeba Music, during which she was asked about the potential for currently unreleased material to see release on a future album. She stressed that two of the Lust For Life outtakes (specifically Yosemite and The Next Best American Record) would likely be released as standalone singles at some time in the future.

On November 25th, 2017, Lana informed fans at her Los Angeles pop-up shop that she was currently planning to release a "mini-album" at some point in mid 2018, which would include Yosemite. Other tracks were not mentioned.

On December 27th, 2017, Lana took to Instagram to to play a portion of the completed version of Roses Bloom For You.

On January 28th, 2018, Lana attended the 60th Grammy Awards and discussed new music with Pitchfork. She revealed the existence of a song with the title Bartender, which she described as "weird". She also said she hoped to make a video for the song. In addition, she said she hoped to collaborate with Father John Misty in the future, having apparently never worked on music with him before, despite their friendship.

On February 15th, 2018, Lana mentioned at her San Diego show that she had recorded a new song titled Sylvia, which was inspired by Sylvia Plath.

In early April 2018, several insiders revealed that they had gotten their hands on Lust For Life outtakes, including demos of Tomorrow Never Came, Summer Bummer, Beautiful People Beautiful Problems and a track alternately referred to as Scared of Me and Mary (Scared of Me). This information is secondhand and may not be reliable.

LEAKED TRACK COMPILATION ALBUM

The July 26th, 2017 Amoeba Q&A also brought up the potential for an album comprised of older leaked tracks to see release. Lana claimed she was toying with the idea of an album made up of her 25 favorite leaked songs, but she wasn't sure if it was a good idea. The crowd seemed receptive to the idea, but Lana seemed unsure.

Lana did an Instagram livestream on July 27th, 2017, during which she confirmed that she was strongly considering the idea. She included the following songs in her list of potentials:

• TV in Black & White {"I like TV in Black & White"}
  • Us Against The World {She sang a portion of it: "If you want a cola, I can make it colder"}
  • Caught You Boy {"Oh, there's an old song called I Caught You Boy"}
  • On Our Way {"On Our Way is good"}
  • Kill Kill {"Kill Kill, that's so funny", though she said "Just reading", after that, so it may not actually be in consideration}
  • Trash Magic {"Trash Magic, absolutely"}
  • Hollywood's Dead {She sang a portion of it: "Hollywood's dead (humming the tune of the 'Elvis is crying' bit)"}
  • Hollywood {"Actually, there was a song called Hollywood that got released with the wrong production. One day my hoops will be made of diamonds and my knuckles made of real gold (continues humming). I'm gonna re-release that one at some point"}
  • Yes to Heaven {"Say Yes to Heaven, that's a good one"}

Lana confirmed that this idea was no longer in the works during an Instagram livestream on October 20th, 2017, though she said it was still a possibility in the future.

MIXTAPE WITH A$AP ROCKY AND BO1-1DA

The July 12th, 2017, interview also brought up the idea of a possible mixtape collaboration between Lana, A$AP Rocky and producer Boi-1da. Boi-1da implied that there was more work already done between himself and Lana, which didn't make the cut for Lust For Life. Lana also discussed the fact that she and Rocky had worked on "many songs" over the past few years, most of which were simply forgotten about. The concept of a mixtape was only suggested by the interviewer and didn't really seem to be taken seriously by anyone in the room. The title "Lifestyles of the Young and Wavy" was thrown out as a possible name for the project, but Lana immediately recanted the name, saying she had stolen it from someone else and that that person's project would see release later in the year. This idea has never been discussed again, so it likely never went past that initial discussion.

COLLABORATIONS WITH G-EAZY

Lana was also spotted in the studio with G-Eazy, with rumors swirling that the two of them recorded together for a feature on his then-upcoming album. She also hinted that the Lust For Life track "In My Feelings" was about G-Eazy, while performing it during the July 21st, 2017, album release party. Later rumors posited that Lana had been set to feature on the G-Eazy song "Him & I", but was replaced after she and G-Eazy broke up, by the singer Halsey. Either way, it is unlikely that their collaboration will ever be released in any form.

COLLABORATIONS WITH BØRNS

On October 9th, 2017, Lana appeared on BØRNS' Instagram story in a recording studio, implying that the two were collaborating on some kind of musical project. As of yet, the extent of their collaboration is unknown. Lana further confirmed this collaboration in a livestream on October 20th, 2017, though again, did not explicate what type of collaboration it was.

On December 30th, 2017, BØRNS announced that the song "God Save Our Young Blood", featuring Lana, would be released on January 2nd, 2018. It was later revealed that Lana had also done backing vocals for the track "Blue Madonna", from the same record. It is presumed that this is all they recorded together.

OTHER SIDE PROJECTS

On January 17th, 2018, a new title was registered on PPL: You Must Love Me. It is confirmed that this is a cover of the Madonna song from Evita, set to be released on Andrew Lloyd Webber's upcoming retrospective album, Unmasked: The Platinum Collection, on March 16th, 2018.

In her interview with L'Officiel Magazine, released on February 7th, 2018, Lana was asked if she'd ever consider directing a film. She responded that she'd been asked to write a musical for Broadway and that she might finish her work on it in two or three years. It seems unlikely that this would take precedence over a new album.

COLLABORATIONS WITH MILES KANE

Lana worked extensively with Miles Kane between December 2016 and March 2017 on what was originally intended to be a side project featuring both herself and Kane as a band, along with several other people including Zach Dawes. Lana stated in an interview on July 12th, 2017 that she had decided the songs were more suited to be sung by Kane solo and will likely not be contributing to any kind of side project band or supergroup. She said that she'd hope that the songs she co-wrote will make the record, which is in the process of being worked on by Kane and Dawes together.

On April 5th, 2018, Kane revealed that one of the tracks he wrote with Lana would be featured on his new solo album.

1 minute ago, Dash My Wig said:

An album with Miles Kane would have snatched me, why did she cancel it? jj4 

She said that though she liked all the stuff they wrote together, she couldn't see herself singing most of it. It's possible that she'll pop up as a feature on a track or two, though. jj2

5 minutes ago, Americunt said:

She said that though she liked all the stuff they wrote together, she couldn't see herself singing most of it. It's possible that she'll pop up as a feature on a track or two, though. jj2

Yes I read your synopsis jj2 She'd be perfect for a LSP feature 

On 9/22/2017 at 6:24 PM, Dash My Wig said:

Yes I read your synopsis jj2 She'd be perfect for a LSP feature 

I actually left a few things out of the synopsis now that I'm thinking about it, so I should probably edit it to include those. There was some girl that met Lana at a pizza place in LA where she was having dinner with Miles and made an Instagram post about her. The girl had eavesdropped on their conversation and apparently they were discussing video treatments for a particular song (though it wasn't clear what song it was), so it sounds like she was definitely pretty deep in with Miles on the collaborative album before she ditched the project.

But yeah, I think it could be quite nice to have her on one of TLSP's more downtempo songs!

On 23 September 2017 at 0:36 AM, Americunt said:

I actually left a few things out of the synopsis now that I'm thinking about it, so I should probably edit it to include those. There was some girl that met Lana at a pizza place in LA where she was having dinner with Miles and made an Instagram post about her. The girl had eavesdropped on their conversation and apparently they were discussing video treatments for a particular song (though it wasn't clear what song it was song), so it sounds like she was definitely pretty deep in with Miles on the collaborative album before she ditched the project.

But yeah, I think it could be quite nice to have her on one of TLSP's more downtempo songs!

Sounds like a scene from Can't Remember I'm Not Lesbon

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.