Lust

Interview: Lana Del Rey tells everything about her new album "Lust For Life" and still leaves a message for Brazilian fans

translation

Hi Lana, thank you for talking to us! 
No problem, I'm excited!

Of course we want to know more details of "Lust For Life". First of all, the cover! You look beautiful and smiling, so you could say that you are happier and more confident with your job? 
Hmmm, yes. I think I can say that I'm more confident. You know, I've always been very happy with my music, but I've always had to work hard until I feel comfortable presenting it. But surely now I have two albums that I love a lot, "Honeymoon" and "Ultraviolence", so I'm more focused. Well, the cover was photographed by my sister on the day of the recording of the "Love" clip. We photographed at the bottom of that truck and the funny thing is that this is the same truck as the cover of "Born To Die"!

One of the cool things about your career, other than music, is your looks. Everything related to you, whether album cover, promotional photos or videos, are thought carefully and easy to recognize as something of your own. Are you behind this concept? How important is that in your career? 
Ahh thanks! Yes definitely. You know, we thought of everything in a rather futuristic way, like in the video of "Love" and it took a long time to be finalized and make it seem like I was on the moon ... All this is very important because I believe that for a long time I did not have a "message", you know? I just wrote and sang about the things I went through and having songs with a wider perspective and being able to incorporate a more social panorama into my music is cool. Although the clip of "Lust For Life",

We had the opportunity to listen to 5 tracks from your new album and I felt that, like many other artists, you were also influenced by the current political and social scene in the United States. Is this theme really something that you took into consideration in your new compositions? 
Yes ... I cut three songs from this album, which were decidedly political, but I also left some that say exactly what I mean, like "God Bless America" and " When the World Was at War We Kept Dancing." So I feel that it was even more reflective, with all this confusion ... It certainly expresses what I and the people I know feel and obviously other people around the world.

How do you differentiate "Lust For Life" from "Ultraviolence", "Honeymoon" and "Born To Die"? 
I think my main influence on "Lust For Life" began with the concept of the word lust , but in a more complete way. Not just the concept of desire as for example with a boyfriend, but something more malleable and romantic, like vibrations. That would be so much more comfortable than anything I've done so far. When I started producing "Lust For Life," I wanted the album to be quieter in nature ... I'm in a different phase now, but I still have some harder things in some songs. As for example in the bands with A $ AP Rocky, I feel that there is still a bit of aggression and this caught me by surprise. I'm fine, you know, but it still reflects a lot of what I feel and how I am.

You just released "Summer Bummer" and "Groupie Love", both songs with A $ AP Rocky. What was it like working with him? 
Yes, he is a person like The Weeknd, who I knew ... I knew that if I had collaborations on that album, those two guys would be in it for sure. I think he and I (A $ AP) came out the same year, 2011 ... He's great and he's a really good rapper! He has a really cool sensitivity and never does anything in half. He is the opposite of boring. His lyrics are excellent and one of his most loved songs is called "LSD". In fact, he also enjoys the 60's a lot and his new songs also have a slightly more retro feel. I think we are in the same moment. It was wonderful to record some tracks with him.

How do you usually choose your partnerships? Do you choose close people or make plans and invitations? 
Weeknd and Rocky, I see them all the time. Sean Lennon (who is in "Tomorrow Never Came") and Stevie Nicks (who is in "Beautiful People Beautiful Problems"), I did not know them, but I got their phone number, I invited them to join my record and luckily They said yes.

Still on the subject of collaborations, you are friends with Marina and The Diamonds and a few months ago you met in Los Angeles. Can we say that there is a possibility for a partnership between you in the future? 
Fully! Absolutely! I love her! She's an amazing songwriter!

What about Katy Perry? You were together at Coachella ... 
I do not know! It's true, I met Katy at Coachella. I do not remember which show we watched together, but she was in the same place as me ... But you never know, did you? It would be nice.

Of the new songs that we could hear, we love "Change". Can you already choose your favorite "Lust For Life" track? 
I also really like Change. I think this is a really cool song because I could work with the feeling that things will really change ... In our political scenario. I start the song by saying, There's something in the wind, I can feel it blowing in. It's coming softly, on the wings of a bond . I also love the reference of blowing in the wind , which reminds me of one of my favorite Bob Dylan songs. There are so many layers in this song, like little things that have been incorporated into it and are very important to me. The chorus also talks about people I know personally who can be strong enough in the middle of it all. All the songs are like little journals of my own ... I also really love the song with Rocky, "Summer Bummer". She is very cool, well summer. I love to drive listening to this one!

You know that many younger singers like Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez often mention you as a great inspiration. How do you deal with it and what did you think of Miley's cover for "Summertime Sadness"? I liked the cover of Miley and I think this is really cool. It's great to hear pop music when artists incorporate things into their music and I think I'm a person who has always done it. So if I can contribute to the music in any way, it would be saying that it is "ok" to inject your own personality into your music. I feel that if I contributed that way, that's great. There was a time when pop music was so interesting and there were layers inside it, like when The Beach Boys was one of the most famous pop groups of all time. They did not just have a good beat and rhyme, But culturally they had an impact. I think we're getting back to some of that, especially with hip hop popping in and modifying pop music, because hip hop has always had a very strong narrative. I feel like this is a good time for music as a whole, I see pop changing.

Well, I have an important question: Do you have plans to return to Brazil? 
Haha, for sure! I have plans for next year!

And before you finished, did you know that here in Brazil there is a Facebook group with more than half a million people called LDRV (Lana Del Rey Vevo)? Could you leave a message for them? 
Of course, I'll have to do this! I already knew about this group, but you just remembered me! So, I'm sure to leave a message!

X

4 minutes ago, Tampon said:

LFL cover truck same as BTD

there's a truck parked a few blocks from my house that deadass looks exactly like the cover, same green color and everything, I'm shook dead4 

Lana and Rocky, my OTP wub1 
stop fucking working with the WEAKnd trash1  

You just released "Summer Bummer" and "Groupie Love", both songs with A $ AP Rocky. What was it like working with him? 
Yes, he is a person like The Weeknd, who I knew ... I knew that if I had collaborations on that album, those two guys would be in it for sure. I think he and I (A $ AP) came out the same year, 2011 ... He's great and he's a really good rapper! He has a really cool sensitivity and never does anything in half. He is the opposite of boring. His lyrics are excellent and one of his most loved songs is called "LSD". In fact, he also enjoys the 60's a lot and his new songs also have a slightly more retro feel. I think we are in the same moment. It was wonderful to record some tracks with him.

59 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

@Grimhilde Poor you! She stans her two best albums.

Her Brazilian fans are so petty and extra! She said Paradise and Ultraviolence. They replaced one of them with Honeymoon. Shaking my fucking head. rih9 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Her Brazilian fans are so petty and extra! She said Paradise and Ultraviolence. They replaced one of them with Honeymoon. Shaking my fucking head.  

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.